Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljg0419

Finished kitchen reveal (after 40+ years with the same kitchen)

Laura
9 years ago

First, I want to express my gratitude for all of the priceless information that is available on this site. You are all so generous with your knowledge and time. After two false starts, the third time was the charm with our kitchen renovation. I live with my daughter and mother in the house I grew up in. My parents built the house 40+ years ago, and the kitchen hadn't been updated except for a few new appliances over the years.

I recently had some photos taken of my daughter at our home and decided to have the photographer take a few shots of the kitchen as well. So, without further ado, here are the details and photos. I am happy to answer any questions. Thank you for looking!

Cabinetry: Crystal Cabinets full overlay (in Bisque and Cherry with Saddle Brown stain)
Counters: Caesarstone Piatra Grey (perimeter) and Calacatta Oro (island)
Backsplash: Artistic Tile (Veneto Bianco)
Faucets: Waterstone 5600 (Polished Nickel) and Rohl U4759 (Polished Nickel) - air gap/air switches are Waterstone & Rohl, too
Sinks: Blanco Arcon (main) and Blanco Rondo (prep)
Pendants: Currey & Co. Regatta
Refrigerator: KitchenAid Pro 36" CD FD
Cooktop: Bosch 800 induction
Hood: Vent-a-hood 600 CFM insert
Microwave: Sharp 24" drawer
Ovens: Electrolux Wave Touch
Knobs: Restoration Hardware traditional clear glass (PN)
Pulls: Schaub Northport (PN)
Hardware on cherry hutch: Maitland-Smith by Schaub (Dove knobs & Sunflower pulls)
Paint on walls: BM Pashmina
Trim: BM Aura matched to bisque cabinets
Counter Stools: Crate & Barrel Oslo

Backsplash detail:

Hutch hardware detail:

And one "real life" shot taken by me... :)

Comments (66)

• sedona_heaven
    9 years ago

Charming, charming, charming. Wow!

Many congratulations on your beautiful kitchen and happy daughter!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

What a beauty! And the kitchen, too! Love the backsplash, the shelving and the big windows. That tile is just stunning -- Artistic Tile is just fantastic. In love with your hutch, as well.

• nmjen
    9 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen, and what an adorable daughter you have! That backsplash tile is just lovely, and I love the pendant lights and patisserie sign, too. The whole space is so elegant, but welcoming, too. Enjoy!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love your kitchen so much! I love the backsplash and both counters! I just ordered a sample of the Caesarstone Piatra Grey since I loved Gooster's kitchen counters so much and now I see you used this for your counter also.

Your daughter is so adorable and could be a model! So happy she and you bake together and are close.

• crl_
    9 years ago

That is beautiful. So many great details. The backsplash is so lovely. Thank you for posting!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Wow.
    You did the common white kitchen in a totally uncommon manner. Well organized, lovely materials, and enough "traditional" to last another 40-50 years. Long enough for your daughter to post a grown-up picture in 20 years, doing the same baking. She's adorable.

Congrats. Really beautifully done.

• gold566
    9 years ago

Absolutely stunning! Your kitchen is gorgeous. Congratulations on a job well done!

• herbflavor
    9 years ago

thanks for the beautiful pictures..Love the inviting feel of the French doors opening to your patio/yard, the open feel of the kitchen and the gorgeous details like backsplash, pendants, contrasting hutch,small display shelf on hood ,use of just a few glass doors on cabinets.So much thought in everything you chose...really exquisite!

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Totally amazing! What a GREAT transformation! I love your choice of everything! Your daughter is beautiful and looks like a lot of fun too!

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Your daughter is beautiful!

• plumberry
    9 years ago

wow, i'd say it was worth the wait!

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Gosh, that's so beautiful. Wonderful photos, even your own.

• isabel98
    9 years ago

really beautiful and refreshing. love the mix.

• Evan
    9 years ago

That backsplash is great! Well done

• feisty68
    9 years ago

How pretty! I generally don't like decorative backsplashes but in this case you really nailed it - it's harmonious with the overall look. Congratulations on your successful choices :)

I've been baking a lot with my daughter as well. She's 7 and really into it! It will be nice when I finally have a KITCHEN. We're mid-remodel.

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen, gorgeous backsplash, and gorgeous little girl!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Both the kitchen and your daughter. So much lighter and brighter!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Charming, beautiful, and downright AWESOME! I'm sure you feel it was well worth the wait. Enjoy! And your little girl is a cutie patootie. ;)

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Love this kitchen, thank you for sharing and thank you for including the picture of your gorgeous daughter! So happy for you. The backsplash is just perfect as are all the accessories, the time you took to plan everything out really shows.

• ReBe231
    9 years ago

Lovely kitchen. I love the backsplash. It really works so well with your kitchen.

• threegraces
    9 years ago

To die for, swoon!!! I adore your backsplash. I think I pinned every Artistic Tile backsplash on Pinterest and I'm so jealous (but happy for you)

• ikeltz
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is positively stunning. It is all that I love in a kitchen. We are in the middle of our remodel now, so I love these reveals, as they let me know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I don't know where to start, but your marble made me swoon. May you have many happy and fun times in your gorgeous new kitchen. Oh, your daughter is adorable. How great it is to have such a wonderful little baking/cooking partner in the kitchen.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Wow! Just, wow! Wonderful! Congratulations! To another 40 years!

• Laura
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone for the kind comments about our kitchen and my girl...baking/cooking with her is such fun! When selecting finishes, I was hoping to pick things that would stand the test of time - after this reno, I am pretty sure it may be another 40 years before I do another one! ;)

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

The backsplash...it's just hands down AMAZING! Love love love it. And who could resist the lovely smile on your sweet daughter's face? You have obviously created a lovely warm place for both you and your daughter (and your MOM!). Nothing better than making generations of family happy. Really--nothing better!

• chiefy
    9 years ago

Wow. That kitchen is stunning (and your daughter is adorable!).
    I am 1,000% in love with that backsplash. And the standalone piece done in the dark stain really adds some depth and uniqueness to the kitchen.

• mjocean
    9 years ago

Both your daughter and new kitchen are beautiful! I really love your backsplash.
    MJ

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing your finished kitchen pictures. Absolutely stunning!
    Love everything you did, and your backsplash is to die for.

Enjoy the hours you'll spend with your mother and daughter cooking in there.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

What color grout did you use for your very unique gorgeous backsplash? As I said before, I love your kitchen!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

P.S. What height are your cabinets and then the cabinets above them and what is the height of your ceiling? I love the stackable cabinets! What color is your baseboard trim? I love the Bisque painted finish as it is so warm without being yellow. I really love everything about your kitchen as I said previously!

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

I smile to imagine the three of you in this fairy-tale pretty and also very practical kitchen. What a great place to "live happily ever after."
    Love the picture of the little princess!

• finestra
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Lovely kitchen. The backsplash tiles are so unique! Enjoy.

• Laura
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

@lynn2006 - thank you for your kind comments. The grout color is Mapei sanded grout in Frost. We didn't want the grout to "pop" so we used a color that sort of blended with the BS rather than white.

The height of our uppers are 36" + 12" for the smaller ones on top. Although it's not a huge amount of space, it's perfect for displaying a few items in the glass fronted ones and storing infrequently used items like holiday tins, serving pieces, etc. in the others.

All the trim was matched to the Bisque color of the cabinets (baseboards, crown, ceiling, etc.) - we used BM Aura paint.

Hope that helps!

~ MadsMama

• motherof3sons
    9 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen. I can only imagine how proud your mother is to have you making memories with your daughter in "her" kitchen. Truly the circle of life. It truly is stunning. I am so happy for you.

• carp123
    9 years ago

woweeeee! i just love it!!! that tile is top notch! want to see more!

• truffula
    9 years ago

It's a beautiful kitchen and home.

• truffula
    9 years ago

It's a beautiful kitchen and home.

• hartntex
    6 years ago

For some reason I can no longer view pics. Can you send some of faucet and pulls directly to me by chance? Thx

• Laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@hartntex: Looks like Photobucket "ate" my photos...here they are again. You should be able to zoom in to see the hardware; but if you want more detailed shots, I can take a few more. Thanks!

• marann01
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thank you for reposting your pics! I've been disappointed so many are missing now. Your kitchen is beautiful...countertops, patisserie sign, lighting...great choices!

Laura thanked marann01
  • nosoccermom
    6 years ago

Gorgeous!

Is there anything you would do differently? Anything you particularly love?

Laura thanked nosoccermom
  • Laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@nosoccermom - good questions! :) I really love my kitchen. Both the function and aesthetics of it. I must have spent a gazillion hours researching, looking at options, reading, etc. And in the end, I am very happy with my choices. But, there are a few things I would do differently:

1. Prep/bar sink - I would skip it if I were to do things over. I hardly ever use it. I drank the "Gardenweb Kool-aid" regarding prep sinks and should have known it wouldn't be that useful for me. That said, I do like how it looks, and it makes a handy "hiding" place for things on the counter. ;)

2. Ventilation - we have a challenging configuring that was better suited to a downdraft unit. But I love the look of the overhead hood, so went for it. It's not terrible, but I am sure it would function better with a downdraft. I would probably still have the hood facade, but then have a DD for actual ventilation.

Favorite things:

1. My appliances (hopefully I won't jinx myself by saying this!). They've all performed beautifully. Love my microwave drawer - so much easier and more functional. French door fridge is great (adore the filtered water dispenser inside); and my induction cooktop and ovens have been wonderful. I got brave enough to try the self-clean function on my ovens not long ago, and it worked great.

2. My backsplash. Makes me happy to look at it. Even though it was a splurge, it was totally worth it.

3. Drawers! Love, love them - especially the ones for pots/pans, bowls, serving dishes and baking supplies.

4. And, similarly - drawer inserts/dividers for spices, knives, utensils, etc. Love having a place for everything!

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions...

• hartntex
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@Laura how's the water stone faucet? Do you have any issues with "docking" the sprayer at all? Also, do you have a soak dispenser built in at sink? If so, I can't see it in pics. thx.

• Laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@hartntex - no issues docking at all. It's got a strong "grip!. I really enjoy the faucet - it's beautifully built and finished. I had a sub contractor put a dent in it while installing, and he wouldn't take responsibility for it. I called Waterstone and the customer service was incredible. They fixed it for me at no charge, Also, a great tip from them was to use Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish on it. Works so well! Looks brand new when I use it.

I don't have a soap dispenser...wasn't something I was interested in having.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

You have a lovely kitchen, Laura. The backsplash is especially gorgeous. It was very kind of you to replace the lost pictures.

Laura thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • Apolonia3
    6 years ago

Perfection, I love it!

Laura thanked Apolonia3
  • Laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Rita - my pleasure. I referred to these boards so often when I was planning my renovation, so I am happy to help in any way I can. :)

• hartntex
    6 years ago

@Laura - any regrets not using a hot water dispenser at main sink with your WS pull down faucet? I'm torn and they are drilling holes today?!??!

• Laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@hartntex - no regrets. Honestly, never really considered a hot water dispenser (something I wouldn't use much - and having an induction stove makes heating water a quick task!). Love my WS faucet - the pull down is super handy and has worked beautifully (holds really well when "locked in"). Hope that helps!