Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

My new hardware -- how cheap is too cheap?

MizLizzie
11 years ago

So, the hardware I fell in love with -- Alno Fiore -- was almost $20 for a 4" pull. (Had to look that up.) I was going to steel myself and do it when I found some dirt cheap on Overstock.com. An off brand which only they seem to sell. Stone Mill? Satin nickel like my faucets, not brass as in my dreams. But the 5" pull was $ $3.60. Yes. $3.60. Picture below, with the $2.60 knob that I matched from another Stone Mill suite.

So I'm loving the bargain of the thing. And I love the look. The stuff lays as heavy in the hand as any high end hardware I looked at. The finish looks flawless. So what could go wrong here? How can the same functional thing -- a largish-sized cabinet pull -- vary in price so widely?

Comments (13)

• Holly- Kay
    11 years ago

Lovely and looks like hardware that would cost a lot more. You scored big on that one!

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Lucky you to find such a nice pull for such a great price. I wouldn't worry about what could go wrong. My pulls cost about the same price per inch as yours. Mine were 10 inch pulls for $7.20. They have been installed for about 18 month now and look the same as the day they were installed. I don't anticipate any issues with mine and I'm sure you won't have any with yours.
    I love the deals that I have found on Overstock. Congratulations on being a savvy shopper.

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

I have the same 5" handles as the ones you pictured (mine are ORB) and love them, they look great and 'feel' very nice and heavy. My question is how can a $3.60 pull cost $20.00? You did good!

This post was edited by bowyer123 on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 22:06

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

Picture of mine.

• raehelen
    11 years ago

Am I the only one wondering how much Bowyer paid for hers? LOL

Good score on the handles MizLiz! I've found a super deal on Moen faucets on eBay, unfortunately seller is away on holidays, and I need to find out if shipping to Canada will eat away drastically at my savings (and DH wants them in his hands to get started on plumbing shower).

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

Bowyer is a 'he!' haha!!

Mine were in the $4.00 range. You can spend a whole lot more, but I couldn't justify the expense when these look great, and we have a lot of them. If I ever want to change or upgrade (ie.--spend more) they are a standard 5" spread so that shouldn't be a problem. In the meantime, I love these and see no reason to change.

• raehelen
    11 years ago

Ooops, sorry about that! Well...I had a 50/50 chance... Shudda known better, with a name like Rae, can't tell you how many times my gender has been mis-identified!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Buy a couple of extras in case there is a problem.

• ali80ca
    11 years ago

Raehelen...do you live close to the border? If so look into Kinek, you can ship stuff there and pay $ (5 or 8 dollars) to pick up a package, but at least you can take advantage of inexpensive postage in the states and no hst or duty. Not all retailers let you ship with a cdn credit card, but most do especially if you call them and phone order. It has worked well for me.

Lizzie, hardware looks awesome!

• pandora1
    11 years ago

I think it is one of things that only you will know. No one else would know the difference and if you like them, use the money you saved else where.

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bowyer, my thoughts exactly. If they tarnish or if I can't get over the yearning for brass, I can replace them later with limited guilt at that price. If I'd paid $20, the undertaker would have been screwing those puppies off and bolting them to my casket for reuse.

Lazygardens, good tip. I think I will have about 5 extra of all three pieces. If I don't, I'll for sure order more.

Hey, pat me on the back again! When I was shopping for those at Overstock, they invited me to join some sort of frequent diner program. Since one of our regular joints was on the list, I did it and they sent me (unannounced) a 15% thank-you coupon. So I actually got 15% off all that hardware. I mention this in case anyone is budget shopping for hardware.

Those piece are Overstock's Stone Mill Tudor pattern (pull) also available in oiled bronze and weathered nickel. And Stone Mill Sienna knob, same finishes. Interestingly, it comes in packs of 5, 10, and 25, but the 5-packs are cheaper per piece. I have learned to always do the math on Overstock because they price things oddly.

Can y'all tell I'm struggling to make up for that expensive Cambria and my frou-frou china cabinet? Gonna take more than cheap hardware to do it, tho . . .

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

My hardware is by Stone Mill too, bought thru overstock. My kitchen is 1 yr old, but for sure they look as good as the day they were installed. They are made solid are heavier than I expected, I never regretted buying them.... Hope you enjoy your purchase as much as I do.

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

My hardware is by Stone Mill too, bought thru overstock. My kitchen is 1 yr old, but for sure they look as good as the day they were installed. They are made solid are heavier than I expected, I never regretted buying them.... Hope you enjoy your purchase as much as I do.