Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gone_fishing90

Stainless sinks?

gone_fishing
13 years ago

Ok, we are 99% sure we'll be placing an order on our granite this Friday. We are going with Volga Blue. The place we are going has stainless sinks but we wanted to shop around. We are ordering our lighting from Bellacore and wanted to know how to tell if a sink is quality? 16 gauge or 18? What brands are ok and which ones do we avoid? We aren't trying to break the bank as we've already done that with the granite. What is a fair price? Oh yeah, we have a 33" cabinet and my wife wants a double sink. Yes, we will scoop out the sides of the cabinet to fit it.

Thoughts?

Comments (7)

• sheila99
    13 years ago

I just went through exactly what you are going through! Julien makes both 16 and 18 gauge. Their 18gauge is not too bad, but 16 gauge is pretty pricey. There is Ticor and Kraus which are usually 16 gauge at a very reasonable cost. Look on ebay and overstock as they both have 16 gauge sinks at a fraction of Julien price. The Ticor and Kraus are made in China and Julien is made in Canada, if that makes a difference to you. There is also Rachiele, which is probably one of the finest sinks on the market. The owner, Dino Rachiele, is the nicest person! He is a sink designer and maker. You can google for Rachiele sinks and look up his website. He helped me out a lot and is a wonderful person.

• michiganrachel
    13 years ago

I am very curious about the answers you get for this. Here is my experience...

I have not decided on the sink for the kitchen in our new house yet. At my initial visit to the plumbing supplier (not knowing prices), I picked a Julian sink, 16 gauge, 0 radius corners that I later learned is $850. I don't think I want to pay that much.

We are currently renting a new house with a "Zaza" sink in the kitchen. I have been perfectly happy with that sink. It is 18 gauge, but with 16 months in this house I've had no problems with denting. The corners are rounded, not 0 radius. I looked it up on the internet today and it is under $200 for the same size sink. This really makes me rethink the $850 sink.

My take - I may not go for the $200 sink, but I will probably go somewhere in between the two prices...

• donnakay2009
    13 years ago

Be sure to do a search about single vs. double sinks. We have a single sink now (30", Ferguson Pro Flo 16-gauge) and I just love it. I'd never had a single sink before. I changed my mind because of GW folks...so, do a search of this topic.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

I learned about the Ticor sink on this forum and that is what I went with. I think a lot of folks here purchase them from Galaxy Tool Supply. I purchased mine from Overstock.com.
    I love the sink. I was going to get a really expensive KOHLER and I don't think I would like that Kohler sink any more than the Ticor. I think for the money the Ticor is a fabulous sink!

• sally123
    13 years ago

Both sinks in my kitchen are Ticor. I got them both for $400, including sink grids and strainers. I usually am suspicious of great deals, but so many people raved about them on GW that I took a chance. They're 16-gauge, quiet and sturdy and now I rave about them. I ordered from Galaxy Supply and they were delivered very quickly.

• pacolola
    13 years ago

I am just about to order the Julien J7 Series sink, 16 gauge, because I think the cost of the sponge-hiding drawer is less expensive than marriage counseling! Husband hates the sponge left out. Has anyone had problems with that drawer? Should I just have the cabinet front include that fold down area to keep the scrubber and sponge and order a less expensive sink? Bet that will come out the same.
    Just found this site and will be reading all morning!!
    Thanks!

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

I just had to take a peek at the Julien sink to see what you are talking about. It looks like a great sink, but one thing a gal at my local plumbing supply showroom warned me about was the tight square corners. She said they are very hard to keep clean. It does make sense that with rounded corners you can get your dishcloth everywhere to clean the sink. I just thought I would share that and do with it what you want. I just had not thought of that before it was mentioned to me. Have fun picking out your sink!