Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joann23456

My Ikea cabinets/Scherrs doors kitchen, in progress

joann23456
15 years ago

My carpenter just started putting in the second layer of cabinet doors, which are meant to look like another layer of cabinets, but are really just a facing to conceal the soffits.

I am *so* pleased! The doors are so beautiful and classic, and the second layer looks exactly like I'd hoped.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (30)

• rosie
    15 years ago

They do look wonderful and very classic for all they're such an efficient use of space! Looking forward to more pix!

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Wow!!! That looks fabulous! Can't wait to see more pictures!

• tam18420
    15 years ago

Which door style is that? I'm considering Scherrs and those doors look great!

• Christine Clemens
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Okay, have some questions here - What is the door style and how hard was it to paint it? Keep the photos comin'!

• homey_bird
    15 years ago

I love the cabinets. Very well proportioned for the door sizes.

Looking forward to more pix and info on Scherr style etc.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

That is a great solution for the soffit.

• mybrowneyedgirls
    15 years ago

Looks great, what a creative solution for the soffit. I have been considering Scherr's as well, and just got an estimate from them. Could you please tell me more about the doors you chose? Is it wood or mdf, what style and profile #, and did you paint them yourself, hire someone, or have Scherr's do it for you? If Scherr's did it, did you use their standard SW white, or did you have them customize the white? (BTW, the price they gave me for 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint is about $650 more than the doors and drawer fronts themselves, which seems kind of high, but I don't know, maybe that is typical). Thanks for any info, and I can't wait to see it when it's all done!

• joann23456
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The doors are Scherrs' style 100, with edge profile E. The drawers are style 510, with the same edge profile. The material is paint-grade maple, and they are finished with two coats of primer and white catalyzed varnish.

The finishing cost more than what the doors cost. (The doors were about $1,700, the finishing was about $2,300.) I could have had them painted on-site for $1,500, but decided to go with the Scherrs finishing both because it was much quicker and because I like the catalyzed varnish. I never seriously considered painting myself.

I used the standard white Sherwin-Williams paint that Scherrs uses. It's #7006, Extra White. Definitely a white white, which is what I wanted. I figured there would be an upcharge for custom colors, and I was trying to keep costs down. (I'm not sure about that, as I didn't inquire.)

• Christine Clemens
    15 years ago

So sorry for one more question - how many doors and drawer fronts do you have? The finish looks amazing.

• joann23456
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have 40 pieces (drawer front or door), plus one end panel for a base cabinet and one end panel that's 9' tall. I also had them finish two pieces of 1x8 for us to use as filler material.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try to drill some of the drawer fronts. (Scherrs drills for the doors, but not for the drawers.) I bought an Ikea drawer in As-Is to use as a template, and I'll clamp the two together. Wish me luck!

• peace_rose
    14 years ago

Love it! Now for a question: I've been trying to figure out the process for combining IKEA with Custom doors. Can the IKEA cabinets be ordered without the IKEA doors, and does that lower the price? I've visited the IKEA website but I just can't figure out how this all works!

• rjr220
    14 years ago

Peace Rose:

Ikea is "ala carte", although the website and catalog does not clearly denote that. If you go to the www.ikeafans.com kitchen forum, you will see up on their "sticky notes" a parts list for Ikea kitchen components. The members at that site know a great deal about using Ikea boxes and Scherr doors. Apparently the folks at Scherr's knows alot about the Ikea boxes as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Kitchen components

• peace_rose
    14 years ago

Thanks rjr - the IKEA website could be a lot more clear in the first place. I also found the ikeafan site a little hard to navigate so I REALLY appreciate it!

JoAnn, I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures!

• peace_rose
    14 years ago

JoAnn, also wondering the IKEA cabinets cost. Thanks for sharing how much the doors set you back. :)

• joann23456
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Peace Rose, one more thing. You asked about how much the Ikea cabinets alone cost. The easiest way to figure this out is to do your kitchen design using Arlig doors, as the Arlig doors only cost a couple dollars apiece. (They would be great if you decide to do your remodel in stages, as some other posters are urging you to do.)

• peace_rose
    14 years ago

oh, oh, I'm so excited by your progress! Thanks for giving us a peek! I just need to park my husband in front of the computer now so he can take a look...
    :)

• chachashea
    14 years ago

Wow, your kitchen is looking great! I can't wait to see it finished.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

It looks amazing. I love the sofit cover.
    The green color on the walls is a great idea.
    I know you are busy when you have a chance I would
    love to know the color name on the walls.

keep up your wonderful work.

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

joann, I know this question is really on another thread but I wanted to know how you solved your door problem to the left of the range hood. Did you hinge the doors together? I notice they both open left. I need to really plan ahead for this issue.

• mdod
    14 years ago

Any idea how much you saved by using Ikea boxes/drawers over the Scherrs boxes/drawers?

• tylerdurden69
    14 years ago

Very nice! Where are the doors from?

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen remodeling in san diego

• nancyaustin
    14 years ago

Joann, your cabinets are beautiful! Where did you get your crown molding and how did your carpenter attach the molding to the cabinets? I would like to have the molding for our project to cover the 3" gap between the top of the cabinet and the ceiling and none of the IKEA moldings are that wide. Your crown molding looks about 3" wide so please tell me how you accomplished that. Again, gorgeous kitchen!

• joann23456
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boxerpups, the green paint is Kiwi from C2 (Kiwi C2-204 W). It's a bit brighter and yellower than I originally imagined, but I love it. I tend to gray down my colors more, but the family voted and this won. I think it will feel very springy in the middle of a cold New England winter.

Odiegirl13, we decided to hinge the doors together, and it seems to be working well. I installed a catch on the open side, so the weight doesn't rest only on the hinges when the door is closed. The light rail also extends underneath the door, but there's been no sagging so far. We did change things around and are no longer using this cabinet for dishes and glasses. I put those in a drawer, and filled this cabinet with little-used items and plastic storage containers. We go into it maybe 1-2 times a day, rather than 8-10 times a day for dishes and glasses.

{{!gwi}}

Mdod, I'm not sure how much we saved. I got a quote from Home Depot for Kraftmaid on a slightly different layout (a couple more cabinets, but no drawers, pull-outs, soft-close, or full-extension) that was $11,600 for white-stained (not painted) doors, and another quote from Kitchen Craft (which I loved) on that same layout for painted doors at $15,300. I didn't bother taking this design anywhere else, because I knew I couldn't afford it. I did try to find a local custom shop, but the shops I found were much more high-end. I didn't know where to find less-expensive but good-quality shops. I knew I liked Ikea, I got a door from Scherrs and loved it, so that decided it for us.

Nancyaustin, you're right that the space above the cabinets is about 3". I also wanted the molding to extend from the plane of the doors, not the plane of the cabinets. (I don't like the recessed-molding look.) We first filled the space with a piece of 1x3. We attached it to the soffit, but if we'd had an actual second row of cabinets, I would have made an L with two pieces, and attached it to the top of the cabinets. We used a band molding that was 1.75". (It's the same molding as is used as crown in other rooms of the house.) We put this on top of the 1x3 board.

Here's a picture of what we did. I actually collected a number of pictures of ways to do crown molding on frameless cabinets, if you'd like me to email them to you:

{{!gwi}}

• mdod
    14 years ago

Joann,
    You mentioned the quotes for KraftMaid and Kitchen Craft. Would you mind telling us what you ended up spending with the IKEA/Scherrs combo? It looks great!

• joann23456
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did the breakdown of cabinet costs above. All told, it cost about $5,400 for everything.

• nancyaustin
    14 years ago

Joann, Thanks for the great drawing of how the molding is attached. Please send me the other drawings at nancy-home@sbcglobal.net. Your drawings will be a huge help. You should know that I went to IKEA after seeing your great kitchen and yours was my inspiration! Nancy

• mdod
    14 years ago

Ooops. Thanks JoAnn. I missed that total just above the photo.

• jenswrens
    14 years ago

Hi joann,

Wow! It all looks so great! I've been planning on Scherrs doors for the past few years until I hit a snafu this spring (you can see my posts over at IKEAfans). But after seeing this, I may reconsider.

Do you know if Scherrs will do a paint color other than white or off-white?

Also, could you send me those drawings of attached moldings as well? My email is jenswrens at yahoo dot com. (The email through "My Page" doesn't work so don't use that.)

Thanks!

• kimnuci2_fastmail_fm
    13 years ago

Hi there. I'm also thinking of ordering Scherr's doors and I'd really like to look at your photo, but it seems the link doesn't work any longer? I'm dying to see it!