Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenredo2_gw

Support 4 Soapstone Overhang: Will Less Lead to Disaster?

kitchenredo2
15 years ago

Here is my dilemma......

My soapstone counters have been installed. I still need brackets to support the overhang for my island (it is a raised bar). I want to get them soon b/c I am worried someone will knock into the temporary supports. Why didn't I have them before the soapstone was installed? Let's just say there seems to be a lack of communication btwn the KD and the contractor when it comes to this issue... Anyway here are the specifics:

The amount of stone that is past the knee wall (the overhang) is 12" on the ends and the stone arcs to a width of 20" in the middle. The length of the stone is 94".

The overall size of the stone is 94" long with 18" on the ends and the stone arcs to a width of 26" in the middle.

I know, I know, it is big.

My problem is that my kitchen will be very modern/contemporary and I don't want the brackets visible under the overhang. I would like to use "L" brackets.

The guys who installed the soapstone think I need brackets with a support connecting the two parts of the "L". My KD has done this before and is suggesting we use stainless steel "L" brackets at varying lengths. They would be 2" wide and 1/4" thick and the following dimensions: 18" x 16" (for the middle of the arc), 18" x 14" for two brackets to either side of the center bracket, and 18" x 10" for two brackets closest to the ends of the stone.

My DH thinks I should just go with the "L" brackets with the support. The problem I have (and only a TKO would understand) is that I had this vision for the island that didn't include seeing the brackets. If I get what my DH suggests, I would also have the issue of the stools having to be put back so they don't hit into the brackets (I don't see my kids being very good about doing this and envision my stools getting dinged by the brackets).

What should I do? Has anyone supported their overhangs this way? What do the stone experts say?

I love my soapstone and don't want to see it end up on the floor. And I don't want to create and unsafe situation just b/c I didn't like the way something looks (I am a function oriented person and this is one of a very few aesthetic things in my kitchen I really care about).

Thanks for listening and all advice.....

Here are some photos of the island:

Comments (9)

• holligator
    15 years ago

Your soapstone is gorgeous!

The L-brackets we got were super heavy duty and could easily support that overhang. We had ours installed before the countertop, so that the vertical part of the L could be inside the cabinets and not visible. You can kind of see how they were installed in this pic:

I was having trouble envisioning how you could hide the brackets since your counter is already installed, but then I found this at the site where we ordered ours. Are you planning a "skin" for the back of your island to match the rest of it? If so, this scenario would work for you.

Brackets applied after counter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Source for heavy duty L brackets

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

Okay this may be a really dumb idea but if your finished kitchen is going to be modern and contemporary, why not go with that and make the supports totally visible?

This isn't eaxctly what I mean, but I'm thinking about something like a cool metal support like these. I know I know - it cuts into the corner and makes manuoevering with stools tough but does it open up the possibilties for something else?

{{!gwi}}

Could you make supports such as the ones above wood to match your cabs?

Eliz

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

MIA (Marble Institute of America) specs call out the following:
    3CM stone - Any unsupported area of 10" or more -
    need to have corbels.

Here's what I would recommend = Use 4 (four) ten inch
    corbels, and attach them to the vertical studs in the
    pony wall that your upper is stuck to.

There is also a cantilever (sp?) assembly that your fabricator
    can get through Chemical Concepts - that may help support
    adequately - without the "look" of a corbel... It's called
    an Counter Balance Island Bracket Kit. I do not sell these,
    but they may be what you are looking for - to get the
    look you're after......

Nice looking application - you need to support it right
    or it will wind up on your floor someday....

HTH

kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Counter Balance Island Bracket Kit

• kitchenredo2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input.

This is turning out to be one of the most frustrating aspects of our kitchen remodel.

My concern is that the top has already been adhered to the island. I like the Counterbalance product (I have the name of the individual who just deals with them and will call him this morning) but I don't know if it will work if I can't get the soapstone up without damaging it or the cabinets.

I will call the fabricator and see if there is a way to remove the top of the island in order to install the counterbalance. That is of course if it will support the overhang.

I am kicking myself for extending the middle of this overhang to 20". It is making my life miserable. I am now fretting that it is too big for the kitchen... Perhaps I should just send it back and have it cut.

• florida_joshua
    15 years ago

Holligator called it right, if you don't want to see corbels under your countertop go with the L brackets like she did.

You can cut your drywall out and attach them to the studs. Then fix the drywall so they are not seen at all. . .

It would have been easier to do it with the top off, but it is not that hard to do it with the top on. . . so I don't see this as a problem.

• kitchenredo2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks florida joshua. I have found a place that will fabricate out of stainless steel the "L" brackets for me. Is it true that stainless steel will be stronger than cold rolled steel? Or would I be okay with the cold rolled steel?

Would you suggest using the 5 brackets or just 2 on either side of the widest part of the arc?

Also, how do I attach the bracket to the countertop? Does it just lay on top, drill it, or use silicone?

Thanks for your expertise!

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

I agree with my esteemed Industry Colleague and Brother Joshua -
    This should not be a problem at all - your tops are still
    relatively "green" (as in not having been set long enough
    to "cure" and harden up the bond)
    so "popping them off should be an easy task - especially if
    your Fabricator's Install crew used acrylic caulk to do
    the "stick"... if they used silicone, it will be a bit more
    difficult to detach, but at this point in the life of the
    installation - it should still be do-able....

Plus you are using what looks to be 3CM material, so there
    should not be a problem....

Joshua is right too - the "L" brackets would work fine
    (and do a splendid job for you too!!!)

just my .02 cents worth

kevin

PS - Hey Josh!!! Hope you're doin OK My Brutha!!!!

• overlyoptimistic
    15 years ago

Another option. We have a counter with an overhang and I didn't want to see the supports. I picked up two 3' pieces of 1/2" thick by 2" wide tool-grade steel at at metal shop. That was $50. The countertop is 40" wide. I'm now able to route a slot for the steel on the underside of the countertop so that the steel is complete hidden. Our counter is butcherblock so I'm routing right in the counter. But your counter might have a plywood substrate and you could remove the counter (ugh), route a grove in the ply, insert the steel, and put the counter back on.

L brackets would be much easier, but I hear your pain. Wouldn't want that look in my space...

• dtchgrl
    15 years ago

holligater - are your brackets the "freedom" brackets from the short run website? Its hard to tell from the pics - did they notch out the top edge of the cabinet to lay in the horizontal part of the bracket>

kitchenred0 - sorry the communication problems b/c your KD and the installer is causing you so much grief!
    On the bright side, your soapstone is beautiful. Hard to tell from the pics, but is your viening prdominately green rather than white? If so, do you know the name of the soapstone type?

Thanks!