Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walnut Cabinets and wood floors - pictures please

Posted by vmccullouch (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 20:53

Hi all,

I'm new, so please forgive me for jumping right in.

My husband and I are building our home (well, he's building, I'm buying :). He's left the kitchen up to me. I'm going with walnut cabinets, light granite countertops, stainless appliances, and a subway tile backsplash. What I'm hung up on is the flooring.

I'd like to do wood and continue the wood throughout the first floor, but I'm stuck on wood colors. I'd like something light (like maple) but my husband thinks the maple is too light. I love hickory, he hates it, so that's out as well. We're doing radiant floor heat if that changes your opinions.

Does anyone have pictures to share with walnut cabinets and a wood floor? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walnut Cabinets and wood floors - pictures please

Natural oak. Don't come anywhere near the darkness of the walnut with the floor color and you can use almost any floor, just keep it light, or natural. I saw some red birch in a magazine ad today. Down East mag., Maine.

o

Sorry no pictures. We are doing hardwood floors over radiant floor (Warmboard). I asked my husband (who researched the whole radiant floor thing to death) and he says that oak is not your best choice. (He actually thinks something other than hardwood is better over radiant floor, however, I insisted on hardwood!) So given a desire for hardwoods, he says you want to use hardwood that is very dimensionally stable; and that narrow boards are better than wider boards -- his choices were mesquite and bamboo; I've opted for a strand bamboo in a darker stain (our cabinets are to be light stained rift sawn oak in kitchen and walnut in bedroom), because the mesquite was a little more traditional a look than I wanted, but it was really beautiful.

I don't know if your husband will do the floor install or if you will have pros do it (if using a company, they could give you a list of the most dimensionally stable wood) - either way husband says it's important to have whatever wood you choose "live" in the environment for a bit before install (the radiant floor needs to be "on" for a while - this will prove interesting for us in the next month or so as the temps in TX reach the 90's and higher!).

o

Pics from Houzz...

White oak:

Photobucket

American black walnut - no stain:

Photobucket

Birch:

Photobucket

You can search walnut cabinets on Houzz for many photos.

M

o

Sounds exciting. Walnut is lovely.
Here are a few ideas...
~boxer

white counter

Photobucket

white counter

This is an armstrong floor but I thought you might like
to see the combination of a pattern with a solid cabinet.
Do you like this?
Armstrong  laminate

walnut and a floors that look like hickory or maybe acacia
\Photobucket

o

I like the look of lighter floors with darker cabinets. If the colors are too close in color, you can get a log-cabin look. (My floors are like that, and I like the look, but not everyone does.)

RMSAustin, it is humidity change, more than temperature, that makes wood "move". Oak is fine to use, especially quartersawn if you are really worried about stability. You can install 12" wide flat-sawn oak over warmboard if you control humidity properly.

o

Here is my kitchen, walnut cabs, reclaimed birch floors. I love them together.
_MG_0919_20_21
_MG_0940_2

o

I am also doing walnut cabinets in our new build. We are doing white oak with only clear coat. I will post pics if we ever get finished;)

o

Our island is a dark maple and it sits right on our white oak vertical grain hardwoods. I think the color of the island is similar to a walnut. I originally thought I wanted darker floors, but I like the contrast and our floors don't show anything!

Photobucket

o

Every time I see *sochi's* kitchen I have to just say that I love it. It is one of my favorite kitchens.

o

We went the other way--dark cherry floors with walnut cabs.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

o

Thanks all. I really like both the birch and the white oak - I didn't think I would like the oak, but maybe it's just red oak I don't love.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here