Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Appliance Pull Sizing Question

Posted by carecooks (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 20:52

I'm getting a 36" sub-zero built-in. It has a single door and a bottom drawer. I'm going to have it paneled. I found some appliance pulls that I like but I'm not sure about the sizing. Does a pull have to be really large? I was thinking of getting two pulls that are about 13.5" long (one for the door and one for the drawer). Is that too small? I'd rather not spend the extra money on the 19" pull which is not only longer but has a bigger projection. Has anyone had any experience with smaller pulls on their frig?

I've added a link to the pull.

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance pull I like

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Appliance Pull Sizing Question

Sorry I can't be of any help, but I am interested in the answer to this question too (36" Thermador FD)!

Also, do you have to use something specifically labeled as an 'appliance pull' or can you use any longer pull? Can you use something for a regular door?

o

Mine are about 10" on a 48" built-in, and they are plenty large.

o

I just went through this and ended up ordering the appliance pulls from Subzero, but went with the shorter pulls (tubular). Just make sure that the pull you select has plenty of clearance for your hand.

o

We've got the BI-36R - All Refrigerator. It's just one really big door. We went with an 18-inch pull, but made a mistake by cheaping out on it. The pull is really too flimsy for such a big heavy door (there's a lot of openng resistance). We plan on replacing it with a better one, but haven't found an 18-inch pull that we really like. We've found some 15-inch pulls, but that will leave a hole to be filled.

o

The pulls don't have to be large if they're installed well. They do have to have strong attachments. That is, some drawer pulls are kind of flimsy because they're not meant for more than lingerie. Think of the force needed to open a fridge which creates a vacuum when it cycles. If the pull has good screws and good threads it'll work.

Most people find it easier to use a larger pull because they can grab off angle, or in the place more comfortable for where they're standing. But that's a personal choice.

Some of our members have 10" pulls. I have 36" for the look. I think at least one or two have 8", and a couple have the same ones as on their regular cabinetry. 18"-24" is a kind of standard size that a lot of people have.

o

I have an 18'' handle on my paneled SubZero 736TC. It has 2 bottom freezer drawers and I used 2 bin pulls each on those because the 18'' handle was expensive and I was only going to buy one...not three!

It is plenty hefty and I am sure we could get by with something smaller. I've included a photo of my fridge. I happen to have a couple of other photos in my inspiration folder, however, I'm not sure if it is bad etiquette to post photos of other people's kitchens. I'm sorry, but I can't refer you to their photos because I can't remember the member's names. I saved them very early on in my research.

I will tell you that one has a much smaller handle than mine and the other one uses a larger handle for the top door and 2 smaller handles for the bottom drawers.

Here is my 18'' handle:
Photobucket

o

Thanks all for your answers. I thought that the 13.5" would be fine but got voted down by my DH and designer. I thought that I would try to save money somewhere but I guess that it's not here.

Cali Wendy - Beautiful job on your sub-szero and kitchen! Since I'm now in backsplash mode...what is yours? It seems very creamy which is what I am looking for.

o

Thanks carecooks. :) Backsplash is tumbled Crema Marfil marble.

o

A small pull can look just fine but I agree about the beefiness issue. The Thermador builtins can probably be done with just big pulls (like the larger sized reasonably priced Restoration Hardware ones) but Subzero fridges are spectacularly tough to open and do require serious pulls. Not necessarily seriously sized, but definitely more than mere big drawer handles.

o

Dear Carecooks,

Thank you for choosing Sub-Zero and Wolf Appliances! I'm sure you will be very happy with your purchase. I thought I would add some information that may be of assistance.

Sub-Zero offers classic stainless steel handles in a Tubular and Pro style. They are available in sizes from 17 1/2" - 63 7/8" in length. We recommend in an overlay style application like you have ordered, a 'D' shaped handle be used. Usually anything over 12" in length should be adequate as long as the handle is sturdy.

Parts can be ordered from your Regional Parts Distributor. To find your Regional Parts Distributor please use the link below. Enter your zip code, select 'Service, Repair and Parts', choose a mileage radius. The Regional Parts Distributor should appear at the bottom. Have your model number and serial number available when you call(if available). They can provide you with pricing and availability.

http://www.subzero.com/locator

If we can be of further assistance on this issue or any other, please email our Customer Service Team at CustomerService@Subzero.com, or call us at (800) 222-7820, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. CST.

We look forward to having you as a customer!

Customer Service Email Team
Sub-Zero, Inc.
Wolf Appliance, Inc.

For additional information, please visit our websites at:
www.subzero.com
www.wolfappliance.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here