Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which stain - Red oak floor + cherry cabinets

Posted by harmonyhill (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 20:48

Under that cardboard on the floor are 5" red oak planks waiting for me to pick a Minwax stain. Do I stay in the same color family as the cabinets but go a little lighter like Gunstock? Or would something in a brown tone like Special Walnut look good and not clash? We've played around with Provincial, and Provincial+English Chestnut and both came out too dark brown. Any photos of yours to share?

Cherry cabinets

This is the adjoining breakfast room:
China Cabinet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which stain - Red oak floor + cherry cabinets

I think you should consider leaving you floors natural with just a clear poly finish. IMO cabinets and floors should have contrast. The beauty of your cherry cabinets will be lost if they blend right in with the floors. I have natural cherry cabinets with natural ash flooring so not the same scenario as yours but you can see the contrast in this picture.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Here are some photos I grabbed off the web that are said to be natural red oak floors and stained cherry cabinets.

o

I agree that I would go for contrast to show off those lovely cabinets.

o

I am biased, but I agree that they should be a couple of tones away from your cabinet stain. This is what I was advised and what turned out well. Otherwise, you run the risk of a slight clash. Maybe even lighter than the gunstock.

I have quarter sawn white oak with stained cherry-- it is the barest of tints to match the original 75 yr old hardwood in the remainder of the space.

photo P70200961280x945_zps56093125.jpg

o

Natural oak. Dark floors are over. People got tired of fruitlessly cleaning them every 5 minutes.

o

Hey, thanks everyone. I am being swayed toward natural and I am happy about this decision.

Someday I will post a reveal because I have gotten so much help from GW about soapstone, woodwork, carpeting, siding, and window treatments. This site rocks!

o

Just another "real life" example for you. I think our cabinets are a bit redder than yours, but similar idea--natural oak floor finish with darker cabinetry.

o

This is what I used with my stained cherry cabinets---the color is called coffee on hickory floors. I like that it isn't such a stark contrast.

Even though my floors are darker, I find them gorgeous. And I don't care if they are "out" or not. My house is for me!
 photo 9F484356-4ABE-483F-AED3-603E1A985659-277-000000282D3AB3D6_zps644337ec.jpg

o

For those of you who have a natural wood floor, did you use natural stain, or is the finish applied directly to the wood?

This post was edited by harmonyhill on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 7:26

o

My cherry cabs have a chocolate glaze, my oak floors are just a bit lighter. I was worried it would be too dark all together, but its not. There is a lot of variation in the floor, and it hits the cab color here and there. And even a bit of the dog color, lol. I did really like the unstained color, but that wouldnt have worked for us for the whole first floor.

o

I have the opposite. My floors are cherry (jatoba) and my cabinets are oak.

o

A vote for the contrast!

o

OOTM_Mom, what is the name of your floor stain. It is lovely with your cabinets, and your pooch!

o

Just lost internet and my message - Grrr
I really struggled with this as well. I didn't want to replace the floor, so sanded and coated- no stain. It is oak but not solid oak(I think it would bring called an oak laminate- probably has 8-18 years of life left)
Everything looked like we were trying to match but failed. The floor has a lot of variation in it. If I started from scratch- I would have more contrast similar to badgergal.
 photo IMG_0782_zps4824675d.jpg

o

Here is a picture of the samples they put down for me, on the left is straight Provincial, on the right a mix of provincial and cherry. My old color is towards the back, and the new unfinished oak to the front. It is DuraSeal brand. I went with the blend of Provicial and cherry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here