Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luisa_at_home

Hansgrohe vs. Grohe

luisa_at_home
15 years ago

We are looking at the Hansgrohe Talis High-Ark faucet. There are so many mentions of Grohe on this forum, but hardly any on Hansgrohe. Does anyone know the difference or have any opinions about the differences, quality, warranty, etc? It seems a bit less expensive than the Grohe too.

One retailer told me it is the same company. I rather doubt it.

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• lisa_sandiego
    15 years ago

No. Two different companies. We have a kitchen faucet, two bath faucets and a shower with Hansgrohe. So far, so good. We have never used Grohe though, so I can't compare. We did return a Pegasus goose neck kitchen faucet because the weight of the handle kept turning itself back on. That's when we switched to Hansgrohe.
    They have an informative web site.
    Hope that helps.

• judeNY_gw
    15 years ago

I have a Hansgrohe high arc faucet on my prep sink for almost 3 years and have no complaints. Do a search for Hansgrohe here and in the bath forum. I remember several.

• luisa_at_home
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the Hansgrohe input. It is very reassuring! Strange how uninformed some retailers can be, especially since this misinformation was from a large, reputable appliance store.

• muscat
    15 years ago

I have a Hansgrohe (Allegro gourmet), and though it has only been in for about 2 months, it is great. It feels and looks SO much more sturdy and well made than the Pegasus I bought at first....then returned.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I heard that Hansgrohe is, logically enough, a company started by Hans Grohe, a brother of the owner (or some sort of relative) of Mr. Grohe, whomever he might be.

• annkathryn
    15 years ago

I have all Hansgrohe faucets & shower fixtures in my master bath. I bought them all online at a considerable discount from the local big box. They got my plumber's seal of approval, and since I trusted him, I was happy (and still am!)

• jena1205
    15 years ago

I have been doing some research on this as well. We are building a new house and I liked the look of a few of the Hansgrohe faucets for my bathrooms. I have heard from a few sources that the two companies used to be one, run by two brothers. For one reason or another, they decided to part ways and form their own companies. Not sure how reliable or accurate the information is, but thought I would share. I plan on going with Hansgrohe - good luck with yours!

• tkln
    15 years ago

We have Hansgrohe in the kitchen, and Grohe in the bathroom...not one complaint on either one!!

• teched
    15 years ago

We have both in two baths. Both bathrooms have handheld showers. The part that slides up the bar and holds the shower head is metal on the Grohe. It is plastic on the Hansgrohe. The Hansgrohe one has been replaced approximately every 12 months for 3 years. It is in my kid's bathroom, but they all swim multiple times a week and rarely shower at home. I think it was a poor design to make it in plastic.

• heimert
    15 years ago

We have some of each in bathrooms and kitchens.

Grohe runs more expensive than hansgrohe for similar products, between 25 and 100% more, depending. Hansgrohe is very nice, but some of their items (lower cost stuff, like handheld showers) can feel a bit plasticy. But no complaints on performance and durability. Grohe stuff we have is very solid, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost--we'll see, since it's newer. Grohe is a bit more flexible if you're doing a fancy shower, since their valves are separate from the temp control, whereas Hansgrohe integrates them. On the other hand, the integration hansgrohe does means you can get one control for everything (shower, handheld, tub spout, with temp and flow).

If it were me, I would see if you can find what you like in Hansgrohe, since the prices are a bit more reasonable. If not, go with Grohe, which costs more but may give you a bit more in the way of choices. Either way, you're getting a very solid, well engineered product.

• luisa_at_home
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Still researching faucet choices. A few questions questions ocurr to me. No-questions asked warranty mentioned several times here in reference to Grohe. Is it the same for Hansgrohe?
    Also Hansgrohe touts the fact that its faucets lift off the counter for ease of cleaning. Does anyone ever actually lift them up? Do all the HansG. models do that?
    It seems each company has their own "finishes" & names for them (steel optic is exclusive to HansG). If one buys a Grohe for the main sink & a HansG for the prep sink, could one ever figure out which finishes match?
    Does anyone feel that it matters?

• judeNY_gw
    15 years ago

I have the Hansgrohe Swing high arc and I've never removed it for cleaning - totally unnecessary. It's steel optik at a Blanco stainless prep sink with a KWC stainless soap dispenser. The cleanup sink is Elkay with a Blanco faucet and KWC dispenser - all stainless. The prep sink is across from a Viking cooktop and Bosch oven - also stainless. They are all fine together.

• antss
    15 years ago

bluekit has it correct.

IMHO - Hansgrohe has gotten a bit chintzy lately. Most would not find this suprising since the giant: Masco bought them a few years ago.They also own Delta and Peerless. Those brands were brought up with the German technology, but Hansgrohe suffered quality wise as a result.

Grohe claims to sell 8% of ALL worldwide plumbing fittings and is still run out of Germany.

• beachcomber3
    15 years ago

We were faucet shopping yesterday and liked the look and feel of the Hansgrohe Allegro. The pullout has a vinyl mesh coating which we were told make it sturdier and longer lasting. Does anyone have an Allegro?

• muscat
    15 years ago

beachcomber, I have the Allegro Gourmet, with I think is only a bit different in arc and reach, not in function. I LOVE it. It is heavy, the pull down slides well, and it does have a vinyl mesh on the pull down. I think a lot of them have that, tho.

• beachcomber3
    15 years ago

Muscat,
    Thanks so much for your feedback. Does the pull down retract easily?
    The Grohe models we saw didn't have the vinyl mesh on the hose. However, we only looked at the Grohe and Hansgrohe.

• llmm65_aol_com
    12 years ago

I just received my Hansgrohe shower system (on/off knob & valve, diverter, and handheld ) and was SHOCKED that they are made of plastic. I am anxious to install them, use them, and see the longevity of them. I am relying on reputation as I am VERY skeptical about plastic ....

• AJShabel_aol_com
    12 years ago

I was hoping that the Hansgrohe would be better than the Grohe. I had a Grohe faucet at the kitchen sink and after replacing parts continually, I replaced the whole faucet. In the shower, where I had a Grohe, I thought that I was buying the best. I was disappointed that the hose for the hand-held shower was plastic and needed to be replaced on a regular basis. Now that I've seen the comments on the Hansgrohe and know something about the Grohe I think I'll look to another brand for our renovation.

• Priya Kesavan
    7 months ago

Hansgrohe is really cheap stuff. So disappointing. Waste of money. Spend more and buy all brass Grohe. But they are also cutting corners these days. Read the full spec if you don't want a plastic surprise.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner