Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kea3

new here and begging for help!

kea3
16 years ago

Hi, this is my first message here, and I hate to start off w/ a big request...but.... :-)

My husband and I are preparing to renovate an old farm house on his family's farm, the kitchen and the yard and exterior are first on teh list!

We will down the road add on to the kitchen, but not right away. In the meantime, my little space must be a eat in as well! I'm considering a banquette, but honestly don't know if there's room...I can submit pictures if someone will tell me how? :-0 But, essentially, it's almost a square, 10x11,doorway at both ends one of which the door opens into the kitchen...very hard to explain w/o the pictures--- if someone can help or is a whiz at these layout programs, I'd be forever in your debt!! I get started and get irritated b/c I don't know what I"m doing!

Comments (21)

• jtalb
    16 years ago

Try searching for 'How to post pics' There is a link... first one I think, that really helped me figure out what to do.

This ia a great site, everyone is super helpful. Be prepared to become addicted!

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

I used Excel because I had so much trouble using the drawing programs that are compatible with a Mac. Try this:
    1. Use Excel spreadsheet. Set your column width and height to a size to represent 1' for each square (.33 for both or .25 worked for me)
    2. Create your layout using the tools (rectangle, lines)
    3. Once it's done open up Powerpoint.
    4. Copy your Excel layout and then paste it into Powerpoint (presentation option)
    5. Once it appears on your slide save it into pictures as a jpeg.
    6. Go to photobucket.com and create an account (free)
    7. You can then upload your saved jpeg slide in powerpoint into photobucket.
    8. From photobucket, you can imbed layout drawing into your message in this forum. If you copy/paste the html. address option under your photobucket slide into your message, it will appear when you post.

There... I think I remember all the steps for you. Hope that helps!

• allison1888
    16 years ago

Since you are new to remodeling, don't try to tackle too much at once. Put together an overall plan -- short and long term goals/needs, but then focus on the top priorities first. (Sometimes it's boring things like electrical, but since that's a safety issue -- do it first). Don't try to fix the kitchen, other rooms and outside at once -- it's way too much. Take it one step at a time and always leave one part of the house as a refuge to go to when the rest is overwhelming. Good luck and send along the questions!

• kea3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi everyone,
    OKHere are the kitchen pictures...
    http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh205/tbkea/kitchen/

This is the link to the photobucket album...I hope I did this correctly! Thanks again for your willingness to help!!
    (Please excuse the messy kitchen...it was a very long day! LOL!!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Pictures and measurements

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I'm not seeing much on your layout. I really like graph paper drawings of the floor plan, so we can see accurate scale (as in 1 square on the paper equals 1 ft).

Can you tell us what is wrong with the current kitchen and what you want to do to it to make it last until you add on? You just want to add the eating-in ability or is there something more? Where is the current eating space and why the change?

• kea3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i thought i replied to this earlier...but i guess it didn't post?
    the kitchen is currently a eat in, but i have in my head there's a more efficient way to use what little space that I have....i have no counter space and not even storage...i also desperately need a dishwasher!!
    i will try to get some graph paper tomorrow and draw it out and scan it in.
    thanks!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

If you want to post a quick, freehand drawing w/the doors & windows marked along w/dimensions of them plus dimensions of walls plus dimensions b/w walls & windows or doors, we could take a quick look. I checked your pictures and I couldn't really read much on the last one (the one w/the pink? writing).

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• kea3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi all,
    i've tried to reply to this twice and it's not posting...hmmmm....ok, let me try again to just say if you click on the original link to pictures, I added a darker drawing...will that help at all?

i've had a crazy few days and haven't been to get teh graph paper yet! :-)

thanks again!!

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Whatever program you're using has a graph paper background. You can either take on the challenge to 'computer draw' on it, or you can print out the graph paper image and draw on it by hand, then scan and post. I need to see the sizes and locations of things in a proportionate (to scale) relation to each other, and representations of the actual cabinets and appliances...Not just the words and a text reference to size. Doesn't have to be fancy, just a good floorplan.

• kea3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok, i tried...really quick..hope it makes sense! I stink at this!! :-(

I just added it to the album in teh link posted above!
    thanks!

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Does the refr block the doorway (it doesn't look like it in photos), or is there something wrong with the drawing?

I'm seeing better now, though, the challenges you have here...Especially if you need to maintain eating space. Is there any pantry space outside the kitchen? How many do you need to seat in the kitchen? Maybe I already asked...Is this the only dining space or do you have a dining room?

• kea3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

no, something is wrong w/ the drawing(and the artist!)
    the fridge is right up to the doorway, but does not block it...sorry!

and, no, I really don't have another dining room. I have a room that w/ some rearranging could be my dining room, but maybe not soon! 2 adults, 2 kids! my dh prefers a round table, but i could care less! I do also have a room that could be used for pantry space but that also has some issues!!!

• kea3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hope this link will show up what I want it to show-
    I like these shelves and vases hanging under the window...but practical?
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/rooms/kitchen/

• rhome410
    16 years ago

It seems you do have room for a dishwasher in the current run of cabinets...Might have to move the sink a tiny bit to the left. I asked about pantry space, because as soon as you use the rest of the kitchen for table, you don't have much storage...Maybe a storage piece could fit against the wall if the table will still fit comfortably, or maybe the table itself could offer some storage...

I'm not sure which IKEA picture you're looking at. The one that comes up first doesn't have a window, but it still might be the one you're talking about, since it has little roundish vase things and a tiny shelf. Both look pretty tiny for any practical use, and not my personal style. But, if they're for looks, it's a personal preference issue, and if they fit with the vision you have, I can't argue against them.

• kea3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was thinkign about making the benches of the banquette storage...but I'm still not sure it will work? hmmmm....I need to see it and am completely incapable of doing it in any software that I have!!!
    I'm seriously considering doing everything else and then I'll be ready for more of a long term solution...and just toughing this out for a while longer....YUCK! :-(

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Did you figure out what went wrong with the drawing that the fridge had a problem by the door? I can do it up in Chief Architect so you can see some 3D views, but it's easier if I have measurements to work with. I'll see what I can do with what you've provided so far...

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Tell me what you might want to change or fix to make it more accurate...or to try something else.

• kea3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

honestly...I really appreciate you doing this!!! this helps!

this is what I'm thinking...but again...i'm bad at this :-)
    the spot on your rendering that looks like nothing is there (where hte wall bumps out) is actually a built in...so what about making the bench the length of the wall, and one long table (oval??) and mimicking the look of teh built in at the other end where you have the corner bench now? And, could it be counter height to do double duty or would that just not work!?

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Do you mean have the table counter height? There are lots of tables out there at counter height (not sure about oval), but lower is nice for some things, too. And do you mean you want a framed-in built in to match the current one? How would you get into the builtins with bench and table in the way? Also, if the table was a true oval, there'd be only about one seat size along the bench that would work, because of the table curving away. Maybe that's all you want?

Here's my best try from my interpretation of what you're saying. Something like this?...

• kea3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had a counter height table once and my husband HATED it...so I probably shouldn't go that route again anyway...I was just trying to get more counterspace!! And, you're right, the oval won't work...again, though-DH likes a round table?! he thinks you can get more people at it and that it takes up less room (but he's a creature of habit and it's what his mother had!)
    I really like the banquette, but i'm still not sure it will work... I'm going to attach another drawing to my gallery. I'm leaning more in this direction now...in the long run, it will be silly to do a bandaid fix now and something major next year-
    But, I'm still not 100% what the something major will be. :-)

OK, I didn't get a chance to measure the room off the other side of the kitchen (the baby woke up!) But that could feasibly be a dining room, I suppose...it will just take some doing...
    But htis mud room, this is the most used entrance to the house and we need to keep it as such. I considered making the banquette in here on the end w/ the window...but I think I'd rather have it as a mudroom/pantry....what do you think? If I did that, completely re did the kitchen and nixed the eat-in idea and made the other room for dining? Do you think in my existing kitchen w/ a re do, there is a place for a stool or two? What would you do?

Again, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me!!

• rhome410
    16 years ago

That could be a nice breakfast room type of dining area, depending on if you could adjust to it being both that and an entry. You could open the doorway wider and make things more into one room. That would leave you a lot of kitchen to work with, but maybe get you into spending more money. Have you thought ahead to what changes you would want to make in the future? I'd try to make anything major work toward that goal, so you're not spending too much money twice.

Have you lived in this kitchen at all? Most here recommend living in a space awhile to see if you get a better vision of what will meet your needs. And as I said, I'd work out an idea of what your ultimate kitchen will be and not do anything costly that will have to be moved or redone.

Since this is to be an economical and short-term fix, I think I'd add a good bench along the wall that doubles as storage, make some pantry storage in the mud room, and get a 'farm table'...Sorry to your dh, but it seems rectangular that can adjust for the number of diners would be most efficient...So it can be small and easier to work around when it's just the 4 of you, and enlarge for having Grandma and Grandpa come to dinner (or whomever, but you get what I mean).

And regular table height can still be a useful and helpful surface to have in the kitchen. A thick butcherblock added on top can make it a bit taller for chopping, etc.