Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banging on my marble - oops!

Posted by deb52899 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 20:41

I've had my statuary marble for about a year. I love it. I have etches on it. I wish I didn't, but I do and I don't really care - I love my marble! Tonight I was filling some Mason jars with spices and kind of banging the jar so the contents would settle and I could fit more in. I did this with a couple pint jars and had no issue. Then I did it with a quart jar. Uh-oh. There were marks where I was hitting the glass bottom onto the marble. The marks were white dots almost. Like when you hit the concrete sidewalk hard with a rock. The bottoms of the quart jars are bumpy; the bottoms of the pint jars are smooth. So I have about 30 or so little white marks on the marble in the small area where I was banging the jar down. Oops! I still love my marble and even this won't bother me by tomorrow (I'm already getting over it), but I wanted to share in case anyone else thought to do the same thing. No banging glass down on your marble if you don't want marks on it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banging on my marble - oops!

It will just add to the beauty.

o

Already found out the no banging rule on day 1 with my Carrara. I have several little white chip marks in various places in the kitchen. They don't bother me either, nor does the etching.

As a related PSA, don't bang your mason jars on your walnut counter either. Or let your little DD gallop her toy horses on it. Or drop a can of artichoke hearts on it. Or let your cousin gesture wildly with his beer bottle during a story which ends with him banging the bottle down on the counter. At least those dents can be sanded out.

o

That's a LOT of lessons to learn Breezy!

o

The first few days I had my Marble, a bottle of red wine knocked over and a glass fell out of the cabinet and broke on the counter. The number of times that happened with my old formica? Zero! Thanks for the tip!

o

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the title, lol! Guess that's another lesson!

Glad you are keeping a positive attitude about it all.

o

OMGosh! Williamsem you made me laugh out loud at work!

o

Ditto.
I was trying to separate 2 frozen hamburger patties from each other by sticking a knife between them. Well, they separated and my knife banged down on the marble and made a small chip.
Lesson learned.
So I then turned around to my butcherblock and did it again w/ another 2 frozen patties.

Like breezy said:
"don't bang your mason jars on your walnut counter either. .... At least those dents can be sanded out."

I am actually getting better at accepting the pits/wear/etchings on the marble. My thinking is that more I put there, the quicker it'll all patina together.
Hosting a 100+ people plus BBQ next month: toasting already to more patina (on my marble and my new hardwood floor).

Amanda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here