Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa226_gw

question for those who love white kitchens

lisa226
16 years ago

last night i went ripped out tile that was installed on my backsplash hours before....read my post "help backsplash installed today i think i hate it."thursday april 10th. so now i am in quest to find that perfect white backsplash ..afraid of choosing the wrong white... ..im looking for a cross between an elegant cottage feel/english feel...what do you think about white subway tile???? pictures of white cabs with white backsplashes would be appreciated. heres a picture of my kitchen after i ripped the brand new counters out last night... thanks for your input...lisa :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (42)

• karh
    16 years ago

I don't have any links to pictures, but with your cabinetry, white subway tile would look smashing. The HGTV website probably has a picture of this.
    Your cabinetry is beautiful.

• ahneb
    16 years ago

Hi Lisa --

How about a 'crackle' type glaze on subway tile? Or a creamy 6x6 with some 'wave' to it?

good luck

• hollylh
    16 years ago

Maybe look for something with an antiqued or crackle glaze? Try Pratt and Larsen--

I do think of subway tile as more American than English.

there are a ton of pictures out there of white kitchens--try looking at some British sites: Chalon, Moore and Bradfield, Plain English (although I don't think they do much tile at all). One tile company I have seen mentioned in British home mags is Fired Earth.

HTH

• nymommy
    16 years ago

I love white subway tile and I also love green subway tile. I can't believe you ripped it off! That's something I would do.

• morton5
    16 years ago

Brava for ripping off that tile. I didn't want to be negative last night, but I thought it was yucko and ruined your beautiful kitchen. It looked like bad sixties bathroom tile. I'm no design diva, but I would consider a matte tile in beige tones, perhaps like that in the post "before/after pictures oak to cream/glazed." (sorry, don't know how to link)

• lisa226
    Original Author
    16 years ago

morton...i love that kitchen before and after you referred to, the difference is though..those cabinets are glazed with a soft brown/taupe which is why the light tan looks so great...my cabinets are not glazed at all ...they are antique white but really are pretty bright white.....so i was thinking to stay with a classic crisp look....im afraid of beiges and tans now..... but i do love that kitchen.....i will keep an open mind though when i go tile hunting.....

• pdxgal
    16 years ago

Lisa - Your cabinets are lovely. I have bright white cabinets and plain white subway tile, but I'm not sure I would call my kitchen english cottage. Your cabinets have that feel to me. I just tried taking a picture of my cabinets and tile, but the flash on my camera isn't very good. I'll try to take one in the morning with more light.

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

I looked at your other thread and, to me, it wasn't so much the color as it was the shape (square) and glaze (glossy). Your kitchen is so pretty and elegant -- the taupe of those tiles didn't appear to be a problem to me: it was the shape and shininess. (although I loved the decorative tiles behind your range!)

I think a lighter subway could look terrific, esp. if it's in "biscuit" or "ecru" -- you know, barely off-white. I know Dal Tile has a subway in biscuit. What about a beveled subway tile? That could look lovely in there ....

You already have such a beautiful kitchen -- you are well on your way!

• california_dreamer
    16 years ago

I have creamy white cabinets and matte subway tiles for the backsplash. I originally picked out tile with a crackle finish but it was discontinued. So I went with plain matte tiles from the campagna collection. They come in white and alabaster as well as a couple other neutral colors. I'm pretty happy with the monochromatic look but once in a while I wish I would have gone with more "punch" on the backsplash. Here's a photo for you:

Here is a link that might be useful: campagna tiles

• lisa226
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi california dreamer....i love it love it love it....its crisp clean pretty,,,, for me white is pure,,,,if you get tired of all the white you just get some colorful plates,,,or this or that.....thank you for the pic and site.... could be exactly what im looking for..... curious ..if the crackel were not dicontinued would you have chosen them instead??

• rosie
    16 years ago

Lisa, I agree wholly with you that color can always be added, like with your nice pottery. I just wanted to suggest going back to the classic timeless square in a soft white but setting them diagonally. Beautifully traditional but not currently very often seen, in old-fashioned glazed ceramic tile at least.

• lisa226
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rosie...what about over the stove??/would i do something fancy there???or just tile the whole thing the same and be done with it ??? i am looking for that classic feel....my kitchen is small....maybe less is more???

• cpang74
    16 years ago

I think you have plenty or room behind your range to do something special there-how about if you do the whole thing with 4x4's on a diagonal and then behind the range frame it out and have something with an embossed on them? All of it in 4x4 with a crackle or matte finish either one. I said I loved the original tile-but I just looked again and you made the right choice tearing it out. But I do love the design on the tile you had behind the range then-can you find those in a matte white? do that behind the range and diagonal plain white matte tile everywhere else?

• paddytc
    16 years ago

Here is my cabinets with white tile. I use a crakled white tile. My cabinets are BM White Dove

• elljays
    16 years ago

The one thing in common with the other white backsplashes that people have posted is that they're paired with black granite, which I think is a clean, crisp look. Your granite appears to have brown or beige tones, but it could just be the pictures I've seen. If it has a lot of white in it (not cream) then I think a white backsplash would be fine, and the white tile that you pictured in your previous post looked beautiful. If the granite is more beige, then I would use a cream backsplash or some warmer color that coordinates with the granite. If you go with cream, I would be sure that it's creamy enough that it doesn't look like you were trying to match the white of the cabinets, if that makes sense. You have a beautiful kitchen! I love your cabinets!

• bbtondo
    16 years ago

Lisa, sorry I don't have any suggestions, but I just have to tell you how beautiful your cabinets are! They look exactly like the cabinets that I'm getting and my layout is very similar. I can't wait to see what BS you pick out. You've really inspired me!
    Barb

• redroze
    16 years ago

I totally agree with the suggestion to do the diagonal square tile. That would look great in your kitchen and give it that pretty cottage feel you're going for.

• california_dreamer
    16 years ago

Lisa
    Even though I originally wanted crackle tile I think it worked out for the best. I really like the matte finish on the tiles I have. I really didn't want anything shiny. Also, I think the crackle tiles need to be sealed more diligently. The guy at the tile store said they have to be sealed prior to grouting. In the end I'm glad I don't have to worry about stains seeping into the crackle tile. I do love the look of it but I think the plain tiles are really a better choice for me.
    Good luck with your decision. I spent more time choosing the backsplash than I did on all the other items in my kitchen combined! When my GC came to install it he said "This is what we have been waiting 2 months for??" Oh well, I like it!

• lisa226
    Original Author
    16 years ago

love your kitchen paddydk and your tile looks great...i have tile samples from shopping today....my camera is charging i will post tommorw...one is a subway crackle and six inch crackle and the other is a mat five inch white and subway white...i could not find any four inch tiles that were right in color for my cabinets.....eljay..my granite has alot of gray..some black...white .. cream ,... the white in the granite is a dead ringer with the white in the cabinets which is why i think the white will work....can not be stark but softer white....that is why this is sooooooooooo hard.....finding that "perfect white" coupled with gloss or matt...subway or four inch five inch six inch....calgon take me away im all tiled out lol enjoy your sunday everyone....lisa heres my granite close up..

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

I actually loved your old tile, but I see now what you're going for and I agree that the other tile wasn't going to work with your vision.

I have white/cream cabinets and white/cream tile. (Only my tile really *is* cheap bathroom tile! We ran out of money and I couldn't wait to have the kitchen finished. Urf.)

Look on the FKB for white kitchens and you'll find more examples like the stunning pictures posted above.

I'm such a sucker for a white kitchen with white tile. Yum.

Reno's cheap bathroom tile backsplash:

{{!gwi}}

• holligator
    16 years ago

Have you tried McIntyre? They have a really wide selection of matte-finish tiles, including tons of whites and almost whites, in almost every size you could imagine. It would be worth getting some samples from them to match your cabinets and granite.

Here is a link that might be useful: McIntyre Tile Company

• rosalita
    16 years ago

RenoFan - love your kitchen! You don't need to mention those are bathroom tiles because they still look fabulous! Great job!!!!
    Lisa 226 - I loved your kitchen with the tile you had and I'm sure it will be equally beautiful with the new tiles. I think you've just got a great looking kitchen so whatever tile pulls it together best for you, then do it. It will be gorgeous.

• nuccia
    16 years ago

Lisa, another comment as a way of explanation of my earlier posting.

IMHO I believe I see what you are trying to achieve. Continuity will accomplish that. In my opinion, you really need to get the exact shade of white as your cabinets. If you get something close, you will wind up with the same issues you've experienced. Unfortunately, this may be harder than it seems because minuscule differences in shadings in the showroom may be magnified when you bring samples home as colors look different in different lighting situations. Also, another wrinkle is that the dye lot of the sample may be different than what you receive--make sure you get "dye-lot approval" when you order. Take your time.

Mixing whites works 99% of the time, especially with fabrics and other materials, but I don't believe it will work here.

I agree that a subway tile would be more interesting than a square, especially if you add insets of the same color, but different shapes, such as a floral motif for the English Garden effect. Introducing a different color at this point might limit your decorating choices down the road.

• lisa226
    Original Author
    16 years ago

im back...reno..your kitchen is lovely....all of the kitchens posted here are close to what I am attempting to accomplish so sending those pics was greatly appreciated...i ahve even thought of going with beautiful crystal knobs...we will see..let me get through back splash first lol im posting a few pics here one is of a crackle white subway until that goes real nice with cabinets.... nuccia i totally agree with you about trying to find the exact white...that is how i got in trouble in the first place...i had ordered a white tile and it looked off when i got it home..that is why i some how switched to that beigy tile (looked mustard in my house lol) but i love the idea of getting a "dye lot approval" with the money i am spending that should not be an issue but i would not have thought of asking... perfect..... i have been looking at tons of magazines and pictures for what feels like days now....obsessing is what they call it ....but its all good....were blessed to be able to do this remodel...did i mention i ahve been tearing up my whole house not just my kitchen...i am going to attempt to post pics now and will include the brekfast seat that was built in my breakfest room -part of the kitchn (cushions and pillows being made to match the chairs ...again thank you so much for your thoughts and comments... :) lisa

{{!gwi}}

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

I liked the original tile but with the pic you posted above I can see how the beige just didn't do it for you. Bravo for ripping it out. I hope I am that brave if I have a similar experience. I'm still not even close to selecting something. Good luck finding just the right tile

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

It's going to be so hard for us to help match your whites with differences in monitors. If you want to truly match your cabinets, have you considered using beadboard like you have at the base of your window seat? (if that is a window seat!). You could then do some subtle tile, pattern, or even something striking behind your stove bringing in some of the creamy gray and tan colors behind your stove.

• happymom40
    16 years ago

Lisa, we are doing new construction and have chosen similar cabinets and Bianco Romano granite... We saw a parade home recently that used a soft gray tile backsplash with the same combination that we both have. I know this sounds a little silly since all of your colors are warm, but with the Bianco Romano having so many subtle shades, like gray and taupe, the gray balanced the warmer tones and didn't compete like a white or cream. I really liked it. The only problem you would have is if your neutral walls are more yellow. Good luck!!

• paddytc
    16 years ago

Lisa it looks great from my moniter. I thought I would let you know that my crackled tile is Tagina Siena White but they also had a bone color. I don't think you have to have a perfect perfect match. They are two different textures (cabinets/tile, matte cabs/gloss tile) plus having the crackle gives it a little something.

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Lisa, I don't equate the white subway look with "Cottage" or "English" - it's more of a modern design, IMO.

I think reno-fan's backsplash or another diagonal look is more appropriate for your goal.

• maroqw
    16 years ago

Lisa, you can see good examples of the white kitchen at christopher peacock cabinetry. also a good article in the NYT about him recently and the current interest in classic white kitchens. Also in Architectural Digest's coverage of the kitchen in the movie "Something's Gotta Give"--it was a wonderful Hampton's interior. (just google all this)
    I'm using all of those sources to decide on my own white kitchen. Glad to see that courage to tear out stuff that isnt right. What the heck.

• cpang74
    16 years ago

I love the beadboard idea for your backsplash-that would be very cottage!

• plants4
    16 years ago

I second Holligator's suggestion of McIntyre tile. It comes in a variety of textures/finishes/looks and A LOT of different whites and off-whites.

• glad
    16 years ago

i used bisque tile with my cabinets, which are a little white/"less creamy" than yours. the bisque is a good transition between cabinets and counters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Kitchen Album

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

I love the look of white subways with white cabinets, but of course that's what I did! One caveat, though, is that I prefer grout in a contrasting color. It makes the interesting shape of the subways pop and gives a little relief to the expanse of white. I also used a subway tile that has a beveled edge, to give an interesting texture, which I think is important when the color is monocromatic.

• annab6
    16 years ago

Lisa,

I know this is way off from what you are looking for (white subway tiles) but when I saw the dishes and the fabric...

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

Now that you've taken down those tan tiles, the focus is on your gorgeous cabinetry. I'd stick with white that goes with the cabinets (no bone or ecru) and bring other color in where/when you wish (plates, draperies), and go from there.

Your granite has enough colors in it, I'm not sure I'd add a grout in a contrasting color-- but it might look smashing.

Just get the right color white and then you'll have it made.

• pdxgal
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of my white white cabinets with white flat subway tile. I have very very small grout lines and also used a colored gray/green grout to match my walls. Not the best picture, but thought I would show you anyway.

I also like the beadboard idea since you have elements of it around your kitchen right now (over on the window seat).

• lisa226
    Original Author
    16 years ago

GLAD-SOONERMAGIC--PDXGAL-- I LOVE ALL OF YOUR KITCHENS...thanks for sharing your pictures...certainly have given me some great ideas...ANNAB6 that was very creative..how did you do that .... MAROQW that was an awesome site...christopher peacock ...totally inspiring...now im getting more confused...i kept saying i wanted a cottage/english feel...now im looking at those amazing pictures from somethings gotta give hampton house and also the pictures from a new post titled "beautiful white kitchen with whole house to match" that was posted here on march 14th. when i look at the kitchen i love it....to me the pictures show old world meeting modern....check them out...im really leaning towards the subway but of course finding the right shade....but have not ruled out a square tile.....my cabinets seem to be more ornate raised panel then some of the simpler lines.....will that still go ok with the subway???? sorry if im rambling....anyway ,...thanks for your comments...i will figure this out....ps i paid the tile installer today...pss i have two boards of matching wainscoating in my garage that i did not use...is it to rustic for my cabinets? who me confused lol yes.. as you can see im all over the place.... :) have a great night and again thank you for your pictures ,,,thoughts....and ideas..... lisa :)

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

annab6 - Any details on those tiles(?) in the pic you posted? It's really hard to tell but they look pink They are quite possibly the missing element for our kitchen.

• lisa226
    Original Author
    16 years ago

psss i meant to say beadboard..not wainscotting...in my previous post..

• annab6
    16 years ago

Sorry, I didn't have any specific tile in mind although I am sure they are out there.

I used the Paint program (on Windows, you can find it under Start->Programs->Accessories), imported Lisa's picture and a small square of a color that I thought was close enough, and then used Copy and Paste to cover the wall with the color.

But the mural I did really find buy typing "english garden backsplash" in google. The first website which comes up is http://www.artworksbyjulia.com/, lots of cool murals (but unfortunately no prices posted)

• nuccia
    16 years ago

OK... you're overwhelmed with all the choices now. The "official" GW way to sort it out is--The Sweeby Test.

In case you're not familiar with it, Sweeby wrote a wonderful post on how to make the best choice for yourself when faced with too many wonderful options. Everyone loved it so much, it is now on the Kitchen Forum FAQ page.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Sweeby Test