Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenanla

24'' sink...too small???

jenanla
15 years ago

Any thoughts on using a 24" farm sink as my only sink.

We are meeting with KD next Friday and I need to have some decisions made beforehand. I was originally planning on a 30" sink, but because I chose to center the window my fridge will practically touch the window trim, so to avoid this my KD suggested a 27" farm sink.

The only one I can find is the Franke which is thinner looking than I hoped for.

I currently have a 36" double basin 50/50 divide. I use one side for a dish strainer and the other side for washing. I'd guess each side is only 16.5 in.

As long as I can get used to not having a strainer in the sink won't I be gaining almost 7in. of usable space, or is this just too small for my only sink.

Thank You

Jenn

Comments (20)

• mary_in_nc
    15 years ago

That's a big jump going from 36 to 24. On Designer Plumbing I saw some 26 and 28inch farm sinks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Designer Plumbing Farm Sinks

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

I have 2 Shaw sinks. One 36 inch, the other 24 inches. Here is a pic of both. I personally would think my smaller sink would be much to small for my only sink

• jenanla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

I just remeasured my sink. The overall outside dimensions are 33" not 36" and the usable dimensions of the basin that I use for washing is only 14" I always have a dish strainer in the the other basin.

I think I need to see one in person to make a better decision.

• kkupstate
    15 years ago

I'm thinking of doing the same thing - we currently have a double bowl that fits in a 33" base and I want to go smaller - to gain a little counter space, and as you say, currently I can't wash my biggest items in our sinks, but would be able to with the 24" single bowl.

• jeanar
    15 years ago

We have a single bowl right now, its 25" and I love it. Our new kitchen is designed with a 36" base, and our CKD expects us to put in some big sink. I'll be sticking with a smaller one. As long as it fits a full-size cookie sheet, what else do I need? From a green perspective, it's that much less water to fill it up.

• louisa_smith03
    15 years ago

I'm going from a large double to a 24" sink-- the RC2418-- so you aren't the only one with fingers crossed that it will work! Sorry, no pictures yet. I'm a bit worried about the shelves of my fridge fitting in the sink to soak, but as said above, there will actually be more usable space with the smaller single sink than with the larger double. with only one drain, I think I will end up using a compost container rather than be lazy as in past and jush down the drain. Overall, I think a single bowl will require more discipline about keeping things out the sink and in the dishwasher! I think I'm ready for the challenge!

• talley_sue_nyc
    15 years ago

Our new kitchen is designed with a 36" base, and our CKD expects us to put in some big sink. I'll be sticking with a smaller one.

Why not get a smaller sink base? Most of the time the sink base is a hard-to-use cabinet. I wouldn't let my sink base eat up an inch more than it absolutely needed.

I've only had a 23" sink. It's a single (I don't like doubles).

I have all the room I need. Of course, I have a smaller kitchen.

But I think if you go from a double to a single, you're going to have a bigger working area.

You just need to change how you deal w/ dishes that are drying.

Me, I set out a towel while handwashing and put the stuff away immediately when I'm done. If it's pots & pans, I put it away damp. If it's fine glassware, I dry it by hand and put it away.

I hand-wash SO LITTLE. And I don't anymore have a permanent installation that collects stray dishes and little doo-dads that never get put away.

• louisa_smith03
    15 years ago

i should add that I had a baby recently and it is possible that hormones are clouding my judgement into thinking that everything that is small is TOOOO CUTE-- unthinkable to suggest that something is too small!

• rachelle_g
    15 years ago

We have the Franke 24" and love it. However, I haven't had the "luck" to have a bigger sink before. In fact, this is the biggest sink bowl I've ever had... (have had some double-bowls before that were overall bigger, but not that useful).

We can fit our cookie sheets etc no problem in the Franke. And we have a pullout faucet, so some of the things that are really tall (e.g. long cookie cooling rack), I can still wash/rinse easily.

{{!gwi}}

• venice_2008
    15 years ago

rachelle_g, that looks quite roomy. What size sink base is it in?

• rachelle_g
    15 years ago

It's a 27" sink base.

• venice_2008
    15 years ago

Thanks -- that's exactly what I'm contemplating doing, to eke out more counter space. Yours looks v. nice!

• kailleanm
    15 years ago

I don't have a farm sink, but do have a single 24" commercial style sink. I had limited choices in my small kitchen. I was worried I wouldn't like it, but I LOVE it. I can have a large pot in there, with still plenty of room on the side to do other washing up, etc.

Mine is in a 24" sink base. So glad I made this choice. Freed up an extra few inches of counter space that made all the difference.

• venice_2008
    15 years ago

kailleanm, you managed to get a 24" sink into the same-sized base? Is this the notching I've heard about? And how do you find the under-the-sink space -- sufficient or tight?

• cheri127
    15 years ago

I have a 24" undermount stainless sink in a 24" x 20" deep sink base (small kitchen, no choice at the time) and for us, it is certainly big enough. The only thing that makes it hard to prep there is that I keep a bowl of soapy water in it almost all of the time for wiping things down. If I could break that habit, I'd never dream of putting in a bigger sink and wasting the useful cabinet and counter space. I believe the cabinet was notched to accomodate it.

• nskylark
    15 years ago

We just put in a 25" soapstone sink and so far its been great. It fully fits my largest Saute pan and cookie sheets - so that they don't have to stick out of the sink anymore. We had to go with 25" because like you we wanted to have the sink centered on the window.

I had a 36" double SS sink before the remodel and this smaller single sink is much better. More counter space and the pans fully fit into it.

Don't know what type of counter material you will have, but you may want to see if you can have a sink made to the size that you need.

• jenanla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. I feel better about this decision already. I think the extra counter space will be great.

Rachelle- What is your faucet? How do you like it.

Jenn

• growlery
    15 years ago

As you point out yourself, you're getting more USABLE sink bowl area than you already have.

24" is plenty for a home. I swear I washed dishes in a restaurant kitchen one summer in a sink that, while deep, was not more than 30" wide. And the cooks threw pots into it all night.

What's so terrible about a pan/baking sheet tilting a little in the sink, if it means you gain counter space where you need it? Get the sink that's the right size for your plan and live according to it.

• kailleanm
    15 years ago

Venice - we used a 24" Ikea cabinet. No notching was necessary.

The link below will show the dimensions of my sink (purchased on Ebay). Space below is limited, largely because the sink itself is 10" deep. I modified my cabinet door to be a pullout, which makes access much easier.

Under my sink, I'm able to store my garbage can, a 12" square bucket filled with cleaning supplies, as well as a few other bottles of cleaners, etc. It's adequate for my needs.

HTH.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sink on Ebay

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz