Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do darker marbles show etching less?

Posted by DeDe15 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 20:40

Like many here I'm having such a hard time with kitchen countertop selection. Most granites are too busy for me and my husband and I are both drawn to marbles, not 100% certain I can deal with the etching, but still reading and looking at as much info as I can. Soapstone remains an option as well - trying to find the hardest grey I can, as it seems the greens are the harder varieties and its not a color I'm after. FYI, the cooktop will be induction and is located on the island. Prep happens both on the counter behind the island (near sink) and on the island itself.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned.... Those of you with darker marbles, do you see less etching on them (assuming honed)? With "DryTreat" and other sealers, I'm assuming staining would be less of an issue and we're pretty good about using cutting boards in general, but the etching would definitely be the thing most likely to occur. We're looking at light marbles but also came across a beautiful blueish grey marble with much less lighter coloring to it. Anyone care to shed some light? Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do darker marbles show etching less?

No!!! I have 4 emperador and 1 crema marfil bathroom countertop and hate them all. They are completely etched in places. The crema marfil is pitted too. Yuck! I don't particularly care for the colors of our countertops ( here when we moved in) so I dream of ripping them out someday. I love the look of white/grey marbles but have to remind myself that it would probably do the same.

o

No, darker shows it worse because the etches show up as lighter spots on the dark.

o

Hollysprings- was wondering about that... If there was a color change or not.

Thanks to both of you for information. I I have no clue what's going to end up in this kitchen! I get a lot of light in my kitchen so at certain angles and in certain spots I'm sure the etching would show on and off, depending on how the light hits it. Reading more on soapstone and going to visit a place this week that has a decent amount of it in stock. I really like the marble look, though and have run the gamut.... Marble "look alikes" in quartzite, marble, soapstone, the manufactured stuff (gets too pricey, though...) ugh. Went through this with the cooktop, literally changed my mind every other day, replacing electric cooktop.... Induction vs. gas and depending on what went through my head when I woke up each day, the choice kept changing! Settled on induction, very happy, now to install the thing once the countertops are decided! One big domino game....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here