Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deniset15

Do darker marbles show etching less?

Denise Tokarz
11 years ago

Like many here I'm having such a hard time with kitchen countertop selection. Most granites are too busy for me and my husband and I are both drawn to marbles, not 100% certain I can deal with the etching, but still reading and looking at as much info as I can. Soapstone remains an option as well - trying to find the hardest grey I can, as it seems the greens are the harder varieties and its not a color I'm after. FYI, the cooktop will be induction and is located on the island. Prep happens both on the counter behind the island (near sink) and on the island itself.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned.... Those of you with darker marbles, do you see less etching on them (assuming honed)? With "DryTreat" and other sealers, I'm assuming staining would be less of an issue and we're pretty good about using cutting boards in general, but the etching would definitely be the thing most likely to occur. We're looking at light marbles but also came across a beautiful blueish grey marble with much less lighter coloring to it. Anyone care to shed some light? Many thanks!

Comments (3)