Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbmcdavit

With a garbage disposal, fireclay or cast iron apron sink?

AboutToGetDusty
12 years ago

Hubby is demanding a garbage disposal. Does it matter if we go with a fireclay or cast iron sink as far durability? We ordered Schuler cabs with a 30" sink base. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Hi About,

I have the Herbeau fireclay apron front sink.

Most apron front sinks are fireclay. Kohler makes an enameled cast iron apron front, and there's one at Ikea, too.

Fireclay sinks are beautiful, but they're much more fragile than cast iron, which is practically bulletproof.

As far as the garbage disposal, you'll need to make sure you get the right flange (sometimes a fireclay sink requires an extra-deep flange). This is because the fireclay sinks can be thicker than other sinks.

Importantly, when the plumber tightens the flange, he needs to be careful not to tighten it too much, or the fireclay sink could crack. You might ask the plumber to do some extra sealing with some silicone, since the flange will not be super tight.

Fireclay sinks are typically a little irregular, so installation can be a challenge. Breakage during install is also a risk.

They're also prone to crazing from thermal shock (it can happen if you dump boiling water in the sink). Also, heavy pots and pans can make scuff marks that can be hard to remove, although I've found that a pumice stone works.

All in all, I'd get cast iron if I had it to do over again. My fireclay sink has had no problems, but I don't like having to bw so careful all of the time.

• AboutToGetDusty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much! I'm leaning toward the Kohler cast iron, and your posting was very helpful. I understand cast iron is bulletproof basically, but I have had cast iron pans that have chipped and then you see the black iron underneath. I wonder if that happens with the sink too, and if there is some sort of touch up paint?

• ship4u
    12 years ago

Hi AboutToGetDusty,
    We went with the Kohler cast iron baked enamel over the fireclay for exactly the reasons stated. Note that the Kohler has a lifetime guarantee against chipping. They show a video of someone throwing a frying pan into the sink from across the room. The frying pan actually bends to a distortion, but no damage to the sink. I would highly recommend it. Also, the finish is excellent and adds to the character of the sink. Here's ours with a soapstone surround and a cut out drainboard. And, the garbage disposal was no problem.

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Forgot to mention the sink I had prior to my Herbeau fireclay was a Kohler cast iron, and in the remodel I replaced a Kohler cast iron bisque veggie sink with a white one.

These have sustained heavy use and abuse--hug cast iron pots, etc.--and I've had no problems whatsoever. The sinks are amazing!

Hope you post pics of whatever sink u choose!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH