Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marioncohen1

Banquette-booth

marioncohen1
10 years ago

I am renovating my kitchen and am looking to build a banquette (booth). I have the perfect spot. I had to men in to give me estimates. The first person quoted me $1800. The second guy who I really liked quoted me $3300. $3300 I thought was way to much and told him so. I told him I got a quote from someone else of $1800. He called me back towards the end of the day and said he will do it for $2500. Not sure what to do? Has anyone gotten any quotes for a banquette with drawers under and a bench.? If so, please tell me if $2500 seems high. Thanks

Comments (7)

• LE
    10 years ago

I got an estimate of 2200 for an L-shaped banquette. I think the long side was 8 feet long, though. The whole thing would be constructed like furniture and they said they would keep adjusting the springs and so on until I was satisfied with the comfort. When I get around to ordering, I will ask about drawers, I'm sure that would make it more. The place I talked to does a lot of work for restaurants, so I figure they know what they're doing. Seems like the seats come off, so you can have some access to the space below, even without drawers. Ours will be our actual dining area, so it needs to be comfortable for long periods. (Some I've seen are constructed much more simply, but look like they'd feel like you were sitting on a piece of foam on a piece of plywood. I bet those are less, though!) Did you give them a complete design, or did they just imagine what they thought you wanted? I guess what I'm wondering is if they were planning to build the same thing or not.

• marioncohen1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your help. Mine is an L shaped banquette with about 6 feet for the long side and 5 feet on the short side. Bench included. So he is at $2500 now. Still think its high but may go for it. The guy for $1800 sounds to low compared to yours.. Again mine would have to draws on each side for storage and I plan on putting pleather cushions across. The booth would be finished in white.

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

Sounds nice. We have talked about a banquet because we have a step down to family room we wouldn't mind blocking. Maybe after the Reno gets paid for.....

• decolisa
    10 years ago

My L-shaped banquette is 10 feet on the long side, 4 feet on the short side. This is also my lone dining area, and I had it sloped appropriately so that it would be comfortable for sitting through long dinners. I think it was about $4000. It was definitly an expensive item, but it's all cherry andd matches my cabinets beautifully.

You may want to re-think the option of drawers and just have a hinge on the ltop instead. It's hard to access drawers if they are under the table. I use my storage for alcohol, punch bowls, and a few other odds and ends. It's a great toybox!

• nixit71
    10 years ago

We received quotes similar to yours ($2500+). Frustrated with the cost, my wife decided to build it herself. She got an idea from some website to use Ikea shelving as a banquette. The "shelves" are assembled and laid on their sides and filled with baskets for hidden storage (see below). She then bought padding and upholstery for stylish and comfortable seating. Voila...a banquette on the cheap!

• rosylady
    10 years ago

Our carpenter quoted us around $2200 for a banquette that's really a booth. It will have two 5 foot long benches and a table built into a nook. It will all be paint grade wood with fir bench tops and table top. The walls that will form the "backs" of the benches are beadboard, and they have already been installed so that's not included in the price.

I love booths, nooks, and banquettes. Are they coming back into style?

• Ivan I
    10 years ago

tips for communicating depth of the banquette seat:

1) Sit in your favorite booth or chair with no sides
    2) Measure the distance from the back of the butt to under the knees of the longest legged person who will be sitting in the booth. Compare this measurement to the measurement of restaurant booths, etc, that you find comfortable. use the longer of the 2.

Now, the most important part:
    3) Tell the carpenter this distance must be the visible seat depth, not including the back cushion.

I told my carpenter that measurement was to be the seat depth. He built the seat that deep, but then put the back cushion of several inches on top. I can tell the difference. Just a smidge more femur bone support would be nice...