Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
counter depth for peninsula sink

Posted by ot155 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 20:35

We're working on plans to remodel our kitchen. At this point the drawings call for a sink in the peninsula. I have two questions:
- I'd like to include enough counter depth beyond the sink so that the floor behind the sink stays dry. How much counter space is reasonable to avoid wet floors?
- I'm planning to have a dishrack to the left of the sink. How much counter space is needed on that side (measured from the sink) to avoid water dripping from the dishrack and counter onto the floor. Is 27" enough?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: counter depth for peninsula sink

I cannot answer your question regarding depth behind the sink as my peninsula is 4 ft. wide to allow for a counter height bar behind the sink. However, I do have a 24" wide dishwasher and then a 3" support at the end for the granite and have found that 27" allows enough space for a comfortable working area with no water going onto the floor at the end. Just an added thought, why continue to drain dishes on the counter where you're dealing with draining water? With a Franke Orca sink, I wash on the left side with the greater front to back depth and drain on the right side of the sink. No more messy puddles on the counter, or floor, for me.

This post was edited by Texasgal47 on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 21:38

o
RE: counter depth for peninsula sink

You need a minimum 18" on one side of your sink and 24" on the other. The minimum front to back depth should be 36", but 42" is better if you're doing seating as the minimum recommended overhang for seating is 15" at counter height and you need to beef up the back of the cabinets to support the overhang or build a pony wall to hide the plumbing and attach the overhang support to. The 24" side of a sink can be the ideal location for your DW, but not if it's between the sink and range. That's your prep area, and you don't want to cross zones with your cleanup zone. That way, two people can use the sink at the same time if you don't have room to add a prep sink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here