Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doraville_gw

Old, Lipstick on Pig, and finally my brand New galley kitchen

doraville
14 years ago

Here are some pictures of my brand new galley kitchen and also some pictures of it in earlier states. There's the old kitchen as I purchased it in 2005, followed by the lipstick on the pig (LOP) or facelift kitchen (wallpaper removed; painted walls, ceiling, and cabinets; cabinet trim and molding; new hardware), and then the latest and greatest - my brand NEW (almost finished) kitchen. You can reach the full photo album with additional pictures thru the last photo or thru clicking on the kitchen link on the bottom right of each photo. In the album, the photos have captions and some of these captions list the materials. I hope you enjoy this journey of transformation!

Old Kitchen

From Kitchen

Lipstick on pig kitchen

From Kitchen

New Kitchen

From Kitchen

Old Kitchen sink view

From Kitchen

Lipstick on pig sink view

From Kitchen

New kitchen, sink view

From Kitchen

LOP range view

From Kitchen

New kitchen, range view

From Kitchen

New kitchen toward sunroom. Cherry tree off sunroom.

From Kitchen

River gold granite. I took this chopping block outside to get a picture in the natural light. I found granite hard too shoot.

From Kitchen

Full album here. Captions include materials.

Kitchen

Comments (36)

• dannie
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks very nice. Congrats!

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

LOL Lipstick on a pig. I admire your willingness to do that. Must have been a lot of painting work. How long did the pig sit before hitting the chopping block?

New kitchen looks great. I am always interested in galleys, since that is what I have to work with.

Your remodel really opened up the room and brought lightness in. Your choice of finishes compliment one another wonderfully. Well done! Enjoy!

• doraville
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sabjimata, the facelift was a whole lot of work but I just could not stand those oak cabinets and had other priorities (new roof, etc) so I spent way too much time creating that pig. The pig only lasted about 3 years.

• ellendi
    14 years ago

Great job! But I have to comment are your very sweet dog!

• doraville
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ellendi, near the end of the album, there are before and after pictures of him too.

• keptoz
    14 years ago

Beautiful!!! Love the warm finishes you've chosen - enjoy!

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

You did a fabulous job, it really looks great! Backsplashes are so hard to do but yours looks perfect in your new space.
    Enjoy!

• marthavila
    14 years ago

I like your new kitchen a whole heaping lot! The difference is between night and day, and the new day is simply glorious! I love it all, most especially the cabinetry and backsplash. (Looks like your doggie couldn't be happier as well). Congratulations on a great job!

• doraville
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The backsplash is a little too gray for the granite, but I've adjusted to it. Although I was very disappointed at first, I've come to like it and remember the advice on this website about living with the changes.

• sammiecanada
    14 years ago

Wow...what a great job! All looks great...especially loved the photos of your dog who looks very comfortable in the new kitchen!

• zeebee
    14 years ago

Nice job - your granite and backsplash tie in beautifully. I really like your cabinets too - beautiful and rich looking. Enjoy your new space!

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Very nice! Love the doggie,too!!!

• lizziebethtx
    14 years ago

Doraville, you did a fabulous job. It's really warm and beautiful. I love all your choices. Your sunroom is pretty great too. I just love sunrooms. Congrats and enjoy!

• janran
    14 years ago

Great kitchen. What's the floor?

• doraville
    Original Author
    14 years ago

the floor is Tarkett fiberboard which I think is a no glue vinyl. it looks like stained concrete.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vancouver fiberboard

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

What a wonderful change. You are going to love all those drawers! It looks so much better now.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Very pretty! Excellent job.

• charlikin
    14 years ago

Beautiful job. I can't believe you went through changing your kitchen TWICE - even if the first time was just a lipstick job! (LOL at the use of the expression!)

I actually LOVE the backsplash - very striking - what kind of tile is that? Also, what are your door handles? They look very similar to mine!!!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Great job DoraVille! I think the granite looks great!

• flwrs_n_co
    14 years ago

Wow!! Beautiful transformation! I'm just in the planning stage (early planning) and have been thinking I'd use quartz for my countertops but your granite is gorgeous and has me wondering if I should rethink. I've also been considering KraftMaid cabs--are you happy with them? Any problems with ordering/installation?

Buono appetito!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

"near the end of the album, there are before and after pictures of him too."

yikes! i'm afraid to look... did he turn grey? lol! my old girl's tail has turned almost white...

love the changes. and the granite. need to check out the floors more...

is the DR thru the door at the fridge end of k*itchen?

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

does it feel like vinyl? sheet vinyl? no glue?

• julie94062
    14 years ago

Love your River Gold granite! It looks great with everything...the backsplash, cabs, floor...everything goes together so well! Enjoy your new kitchen!

• doraville
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. Some questions answered below.

desertsteph
    The floor is soft and comfy. My dog got his summer cut - he's much more attractive with his hair than without. Now he's a shadow of his former self.

flwers n co
    I lover the KM cherry cabs. I did have a couple of the dooors replaced, but it wasn't any problem. I didn't install myself, but my contractor didn't have problems that I know of and did a lot of customizing.

Charlikin
    The tile is bella luna travertine and the pulls are called dogbone. They are a bit on the masculine side, but very comfy.

• tkingny
    14 years ago

You did a great job - congratulations! Enjoy!

• bireland
    14 years ago

Looks rich and warm...good job! Your dog is adorable and must know how good he/she looks in photos.

• e4849
    14 years ago

Oooh nice.

I love that granite color with your cabs and backsplash. I think the size of the backsplash tile is very handsome. But not as handsome as your dog!

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

How lovely and warm! I love your granite. Gorgeous rivers of neutral colors. So beautiful!

• amck2
    14 years ago

You did a great job in your remodel. As hard as it must have been to hold off, I'm guessing you used the time to plan and tweak because the end result is a wonderful transformation.

My DD is working on a plan for the small galley kitchen in her new home. I'm going to make sure she sees yours.

• doraville
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There's a lesson to be learned with the granite. I picked out two versions of the same granite in a granite yard about two weeks apart. The last choice was lighter than the first. When I went for the layout I was surprised that the slab was darker than I remembered, but I liked so... But to this day I don't know if I ended up with the first or second granite!

• kellywa
    14 years ago

What is the name/brand of your faucet? Is it is the HansGrohe? Do you like it? I have seen them at Costco and my husband would like a pull out versus pull down but I really like the look of this one (and the price) compared to most.

• doraville
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, it is a Hansgrohe Metro that I got from costco. I liked the price too. It doesn't give a really hard spray like you can sometimes get from a stand alone spray, but that doesn't bother me. I did have a problem with the spray head when it was first installed and didn't want to have to take it back to Costco, so I contacted Hansgrohe online and they sent me a new one, no questions asked. They stand behind their product.

I use to do frequent searches for "hot buys" on the costco internet site. Sometimes you can pick up some really good deals. I missed a great sink by not making up my mind soon enough!

• rookie_2010
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is fabulous! The cabinet finish is gorgeous and very warm. I'm getting such a kick out of your dog! Despite all the changes, he chose the same spot, next to the stove to pose for a pic.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Love it all.
    You work magic.
    ~boxer

• rj56
    14 years ago

Love your new kitchen! I'm getting ready to put lipstick on my pig. Do you like your single sink? I'm thinking of going to a single from my standard double SS. My kitchen's pretty small and I could use the extra counter space.

• doraville
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jilljohn, I love my single sink. I can't ever imagine going back to a double sink. I love being able to put my trays and cookie sheets in it. However, my single is every bit as large as my old double.

rookie2010. AJ's position is his intrepretation of being out of the kitchen! He can't keep his eye on me when he is truly out, so he lays down in the hallway just enough in the kitchen so he can still see me.