Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christina222_gw

Quartzite countertops installed today!

christina222_gw
9 years ago

Countertops went in today, for the second time! We originally picked Super White but when they brought them for install 2 weeks ago one of the slabs had cracked. We started over as all the slabs had the same fissure that caused the crack. This time with something called Fantasy White. This stone yard uses their own naming conventions so I'm not sure what it's more common name might be. In any case I love it. It's so pretty. Pictures don't really do it justice. They told me it's quartzite. It failed the glass test but passed the acid etch test with flying colors.

My installers loved that it's translucent and kept encouraging me to put lights under it!
(Oh and please ignore the dark blue paint. It was a tile test that is going away)

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

It's a little late, but if you want to light your countertops, this is the stuff:

Here is a link that might be useful: Slablite

• christina222_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, those lights are amazing!

• Kitchen_ Reno
    9 years ago

counters look great!

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Those are pretty.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!

• ginainsanjuan
    9 years ago

Beautiful stone! More pictures please!

• ardcp
    9 years ago

wow! it looks great!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I love that. It's really gorgeous!

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Yes, more pictures!

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful countertops! Definitely more pictures please!

• romy718
    9 years ago

We definitely need more pictures. Gorgeous stone!

• christina222_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm afraid I've been laid low by the flu the last couple of days. I'll post more pics as soon as I can.

• christina222_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are phone pics so sorry for the iffy quality. I tried to include all the different looks of the stone. It has quiet areas and really chunky areas as well as a few spots of color. The only stone I have found that really looks like this is Iceberg Quartzite so I'm going with that. It was called Fantasy White at the stone yard but they make up their own names.

Please excuse the horrible mess that is my kitchen/family room! It's been torn up since the first of the year and I cannot wait to clean it up! Also the table you see in the eating area is normally turned 90 degree to where it is now.

This post was edited by Christina222 on Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 3:45

• christina222_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention that the missing doors are in my living room waiting to be reinstalled, they just got back from the glazer and have glass in them. We've also ordered glass shelves for those cabinets that haven't arrived yet. The back of the peninsula will have beadboard on it.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I absolutely love those countertops! Wowza! I think losing your first slabs was a blessing in disguise. Have you decided against the dark blue tile? It was pretty but will dominate those beautiful counters so badly...

• christina222_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks greenhaven and we agree with you. As soon as we saw those counters we knew that they have to be the star. We're changing direction and looking at possibly marble tile. I also think you're right that in the end we came out better. The other stone was beautiful but in person these are amazing.
    I had to call 911 for my uncle yesterday (he's ok, he's 90 and just had a breathing spell) and the EMTs (who have been here three times during the process) were excited I had counters, it was so funny. "Oh hey, you finally got counters!"

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

LOL! Glad your uncle is alright!

Frankly I would considered something ultra quiet in a plain color to complement those counters. The softest grey, maybe crackle tile, or off-white with a minor grey undertone. Even marble might really compete with the strong counters. Ithink you want a little wee bit ofcolor to pull on them, otherwise they get a little lost in the horizontal aspect. Love the blue on your walls....

• meddam
    9 years ago

Love the counters & glad your uncle is ok. I believe your cat (?) matches your kitchen! You'll have to add a pic to that thread when you are done...

• christina222_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG he does match! Right down the the fact that he's as much a scruffy mess as my kitchen at the moment. Trip to the groomer in his near future...

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

WOW! Gorgeous!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

That stone looks even better close up. If I had that I'd be staring at it all day long!

• chickadee4
    9 years ago

Absolutely Gorgeous !!!
    Nice choice!

• christina222_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all, we are so happy with how it looks. I know our layout has two giant no-nos for a lot of people, a corner sink and an over the cooktop MW but a lot of thought went into that and we're fine with it. This is actually a re-build as opposed to a remodel and while we've made a lot of new choices a new layout wasn't one of them, so we know this works for us. Maybe when it's all done I'll do a post about the whole thing.

Greenhaven, I hate to even say it because they are so costly, but I have some samples here from Heath Ceramics that are those soft tones and do look nice. Maybe I can find something similar for less $.

Jellytoast, we do! Just stare and smile foolishly. It makes the kitchen look twice the size that it did when we had black corian. Also, it's good it doesn't really show fingerprints because I can't help but run my hands over it.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

If you think the colors and tones are good keep looking! The perfect tile will present itself at the right price, so don't rush.

• andreak100
    9 years ago

Christina - those counters are To. Die. For.

Goodness, it is a beautiful piece of rock. I think it may have been a blessing in disguise that your original choice had issues. Nice when it works out that way.

I'm also of the camp that says that I think that marble tile might compete too much with the counters - those HAVE to be the star for sure and marble tiles have a lot going on. I think that I'd look for a super light grey - simple...maybe a crackle tile as someone mentioned. But, for sure, keep the backsplash simple so those counters are what everyone sees right away.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Christina222, I love your counters and your finished kitchen!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

THANK you for bumping this up! They look amazing, and the marble backsplash does not compete at all, for sure!