Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caligirl_cottage

My turn! Layout for an IKEA with Scherr's doors kitchen

caligirl_cottage
16 years ago

Okay, it 'aint pretty but it's IKEA's Planner tool limitations. Please note the following:

The "door" to the right of the refrigerator is not actually a door, it's an opening to a hallway. I just don't know how to make an opening. Also, the IKEA installer suggested that I put the DW to the Left of the sink, for "structural reasons", I guess because there are two walls(?) there. However, I think it has to go to the Right because otherwise people will trip over the DW door coming through the doorway from the hall into the kitchen.

The short wall behind the sink also represents an eat-at counter (again, I couldn't show it).

THANKS for your help!

Comments (8)

• alku05
    15 years ago

Is the wall behind the fridge already angled, or is that something you're going to do for the remodel?

If it's there already, I would swap the refridgerator section with the cleanup zone. The sink and DW wouldn't block the doorway as much, and it would place your DW closer to the upper cabinets where you're most likely storing dishes.

• caligirl_cottage
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Alku45, thanks for the comment. Let me see if I understand it. The angled wall IS there and can't be changed. But if I put the refrigerator over where the sink and DW are, then the refer would block the eat-at counter, right? Also, we're planning on storing most of our day to day dishes in the larger drawers next to the range, and adjacent to the dining area (located behind the eat-at counter). It's an IKEA kind of thing I guess and makes sense to me because the kids can then help set the table (ha ha) and unload the DW (ha-double-ha).

• mayland
    15 years ago

Caligirl,
    On that angled wall, I would put the tall but only 12" deep pantry cabs that IKEA has, which would open up the entry-way a bit.
    Then, I'd put the fridge (can you go for a cab-depth?) on that back wall where your MW shelf is.
    I wonder if you could use the open-shelf "corner" base unit on the end of that run next to the angled wall, to transition from the 24" deep base to the 12" deep pantry?

I would put the sink under the window if there is room (or does that corner get too tight then?) with the D/W to the left of it.

And, I'd put the range where you currently have the sink, provided the overhang on the eat-at counter is enough. But, i know island/peninsula cooktops are not for everyone (i have one on a 48" wide island and love it), so you could also keep the range on same wall as sink further to left (not sure where the D/W would end up then, would there be space to have it in between sink and range?).

I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions, but i think the fridge on the angled wall will make the entry-way to the kitchen feel tight (especially if it is a regular depth fridge).

Good luck, we love our IKEA kitchen!

• caligirl_cottage
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Mayland. I agree with the angled wall issue, we've struggled with it from day 1. The sink is pretty much stuck where it is because the plumbing is roughed-in. I made the decision early-on that I spend more time at the sink than the stove, and I wanted to face into the living/dining area rather than look out the window (which frankly has an ugly view right now anyway). We're trying to save money by keeping our old fridge so I can't get a counter depth, but your point is well-taken that maybe we should shift it over to the long back wall and open up the entry way by using shallower depth pantry there. My question is though, if we move the refer to the back wall (where the micro is) then do we still keep it near to the angled wall, up against the pantry? I kind of don't want to center it on that long wall because then our counterspace is all broken up and we don't get any good open prep areas. Does that make sense?

I'm so glad to hear you like your IKEA cabs though. I'm really getting excited about this!

• alku05
    15 years ago

Calgirl, I'm sorry, I missed that the sink was at your run of bar seating...I thought that was a wall. I'm guilty as charged of looking at pictures too much and not reading enough.

Is the doorway by the angled wall the only entrance to the kitchen, or is there another door that leads somewhere on the range wall?

How about taking Mayland's advice and putting in a shallower run of base cabinets along the angled wall. Are 18" base cabinets an option? Then move the range to the wall where the microwave is planned. The fridge will go on the wall vacated by the range. You can use the space next to it as a coffee/snack center, and place a tall pantry cabinet on the other side. That way snackers won't have walk through the entire kitchen to get a snack or drink. It will also leave you plenty of open space for prepping.

• lindakk
    15 years ago

Hello all, this is my first post to GW after much lurking.

Caligirl, I won't be any help with your kitchen layout--sorry. But I am interested in your experience with coordinating Scherr's doors and Ikea cabinets, both the planning and the ordering. I'm also beginning a kitchen reno and am thinking about doing the same thing. I am sold on Ikea cabinets but am stuck with the limited door style selection. Scherr's has been suggested as an alternate supplier of doors. Can you tell us more about your plans and experience thus far? Thanks.

• birkie_2006
    15 years ago

It's OK to put the dishwasher to the right of the sink. It makes sense since your storage is over there. IKEAfans has a whole post and photo link on "dishwasher at the end of the run" that explains how you can use an oven cover panel (a little thicker than IKEA's regular cover panels)to support the counter. Although I'm assuming the sink and DW are built-in against a short wall, or will you run a string of 12" deep base cabs behind the sink facing out into the living room to make the eat-in base?

Have you had a chance to add up your cabinets and determine if you really need the wall cabs to the left of the stove? That wall would look great with a couple open shelves and would create a more open space along with your eat-in counter, to make a transition to the living area. It also would showcase your range hood more (if you want).

I like the 12" deep pantry idea, but it almost seems like the fridge has no other place to go, so you might as well surround it with 24" deep pantry cabs!

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA--Installing DW at the End of Run by Woodswell

• caligirl_cottage
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi All, thanks for the help, I'll get working on some revisions.

Lindakk, I can't tell you much about this process, since I'm in the beginning of it all. But I got my info here at GW and IKEAfans too. One thing I can say is Dea at Scherr's is very helpful and they are completely on top of the IKEA thing so far, so I'm just hoping it stays that way. I too didn't like the lack of selection, especially for a white painted door, from IKEA so I'm hoping this is the perfect solution. I'm thrilled with the way you can design your cabinets on the IKEA planner and immediately see what their cost is!

Birkie thanks for the info on the end run dishwasher situation, I'll pass that along to my IKEA installer too. I totally agree about the wall cabs next to the stove too. My installer added those in, but I think that open shelves would be much better. I'm just not clear what kind of shelves, who builds them, and what to put on them that isn't ugly or ends up cluttered. That might be something that evolves over time but for now the wall cabs will come out.

I also like the idea of moving the fridge to the stove wall. What's stopped me so far is we're keeping our old fridge and that would be one of the first things you see (through the passage) when you come in the house, so I just wanted to avoid that. I'll think about it some more.

Back to the drawing board!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor