Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachelweeden_gw

Granite installed! Jet Mist w/ Greige cabinets

rachelweeden
12 years ago

Hi Everyone -

A few months ago, I asked for feedback about pairing Jet Mist granite w/ my painted cabinets, BM Inner Balance. I went for it - and granite was installed today! I wanted to share some photos, to show how it turned out. I am really happy with the granite and the color combo with the cabinets. I mentioned to the granite installer that I was still choosing a tile for the backsplash, and he said 'You've got black countertops and white cabinets, how hard could it be?' If only he knew! LOL Any great ideas to help me get started...?

Cabinets are DIY painted BM Inner Balance

Countertop is honed Jet Mist

More pictures here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjy6qfGM

Comments (15)

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!! Absolutely love those countertops (and the cabinet color).

Great job!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Nice combo! Love it!

• Liz
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I love the combination.

• bklyn24
    12 years ago

I just had Jet mist installed too! with white shaker cabs...
    funny though mine looks lighter than yours. I actually wish it were a smudge darker, like yours, but i still like it a lot. i LOVE the honed look.
    if i can figure out how to post pics, i will...

• bklyn24
    12 years ago

meant "smidge" darker.

for backsplash, i think i am going with a white 2x6 tile... i also have the SS chimney range hood. I was going to do a marble looking square tile for that area, however with the jet mist i'm not sure it will go. Now i'm not sure what to do for the range hood area... leave it all white but change the pattern in that spot? Not sure.
    i'm curious to hear the suggestions as well.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Dear Rachelweeden,

I love your cabinets and jet mist -- they look great together.
    A very nice look! Can't wait to see your completed kitchen pictures.

• rachelweeden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Bklyn24, the photos were taken right after the sealer was applied, sothey do look a bit lighter/more grey now that some time has passed. Would love to see your pics! I have also looked at similar tile, I ruled out white (too plain, plus we did it in my bathroom) and the carrera is really nice, but there is something about it I am not quite sure of... Maybe what I am looking for is something with color.

I am sure I will pose a question soon when I have some options!

Thanks
    Rachel

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

bklyn24, I love the idea of the same tile with a different pattern. Sometimes kitchens just have too much going on. If it's French country, or extremely traditional, that's one thing. But if your kitchen is as clean and cool as this OP's, I know I'd not want to introduce more eye catchers.

Rachelweeden, beautiful. You've done a fantastic job.

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

Rachel, what a great kitchen this will be. The jet mist is perfect with the soft white of your cabinets. The photos on your website made me want to pet the countertop.

Re: backsplash. FWIW I agree with CEFreeman's comment about keeping the backsplash low key. The books and other decorative items in the open shelves of your cabinets introduce some pattern and color, and a few decorative objects on the counter will continue to do so.

Suggestion: place a few tallish colored items (bowls, pitcher, canister with tools in it) on the countertop and step back to evaluate the effect.

Thank you for sharing the jet mist. Beautiful.
    Sandra

• Delilah66
    12 years ago

Looks like your granite installer's skill was as good as his sense of humor! Very nicely done.

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

Great diy job on painting your cabs, and your countertops are beautiful! Sometimes I think the BS is the hardest choice, because you're trying to tie two separate things together. Btw, your backsplash looks like mine does right now. Mine is a drywall mess after taking down old BS.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

pretty.
    ~boxer

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Love the granite!

• Tracybug11
    12 years ago

I love this. I had never heard of Jet Mist granite before GW but it is now at the top of my list. I'm also planning on white cabinets, with a soft green/blue glass subway tile BS.

• bklyn24
    12 years ago

Rachel,
    I keep going back and forth...originally i wanted color and now i'm afraid to be "tied down" to something and the white has grown on me... contractor wanted tile selection today and i'm making him wait (for once), haha.

Sandra, I did that too - I have some colorful items in the two glass cabs and i love the look, hand painted pottery from italy...my daughter's painted seashells in a mason jar... all give nice effect and add the color without being permanent.

CEFreeman - thanks for the advice, i tend to agree.
    my contractor didn't really like taht idea though since i have some beadboard accent on the side of the peninsula and inner cabs facing windows. he said to keep the lines straight throughout the kitchen and not slant that tile. i got his point but i'm not sure if i agree.

I am having a smidge of color in the kitchen as we're painting a small strip above the kitchen window, and the area above the range hood - both the same color as the dining area that it opens up to - BM Nantucket Fog which i love.

Again i will try to post pics if i can figure out how to do it...