Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tile_gw

Kitchen Design Help: Does my kitchen look boring?

Tile
10 years ago

I'm designing my first kitchen and would really appreciate your input before I finalize my order.

here's the link to my design:
http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/US/UI/Pages/VPUI.htm?LoadDesign=42eee099157f4c6f8ae07b7559daa2e9&UIContext=Kitchen&IsSharedDesign=1

[IMG]http://www.ikeafans.com/galleries/images/248807/large/1_Screen_Shot_2014-04-09_at_7.30.50_PM.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.ikeafans.com/galleries/images/248807/large/1_Screen_Shot_2014-04-09_at_7.31.12_PM.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.ikeafans.com/galleries/images/248807/large/1_Screen_Shot_2014-04-09_at_7.31.38_PM.png[/IMG]

I'm a little disappointed with the size of my kitchen. Initially, I was planning on installing an island. Do you think I"d be able to fit an island without making the kitchen feel small?

Comments (14)

• renov8r
    10 years ago

I can't see your images on my computer.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

I only took a peek at your design. I don't know about boring, but the space around your range looks unbalanced with cabs so close on the right and only open shelves on the left.

I do not think you have room for an island.

Keep in mind that if an exciting kitchen does not meet your basic needs then it is not a good kitchen. You must redefine "boring" in your mind!

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• plumberry
    10 years ago

I would think an island would be in the way. if it were me I wouldn't want to walk around it

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I agree about the range wall - it would look a lot better (and be more functional) with the range centered. Your cabinet space is limited, even with the pantry wall, so I think cabinets instead of shelves would be worthwhile.

While I am not generally a fan of over the range (OTR) microwaves, this is what they were made for. You don't have the counter of cabinet space to spare for a MW, unless you put it in the pantry. Either way, I suggest a cabinet over the range, for additional storage and to help unify the design.

Do you have an overhead view with dimensions? That would be very helpful.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Tile,

IMHO, it is very difficult to provide design input for a kitchen without knowing what the entrance and traffic patterns are?

What is the 2'11" nook (wall D)? Where do the two doors lead to?

Annkh, the 2D view (the lower left square icon) shows measurements - you can zoom in and click on things to see details.

• ilovenaptime
    10 years ago

I think that the microwave is going to prevent the cabinet door in the corner from opening. If it were me, I might get rid of the 12" upper and lower cabinets to the right of the range and make the cabinet to the left of the range larger. I'd also put in an upper cabinet to the left of the hood, and maybe a fan cabinet and undercabinet hood above the range. I'd use drawers wherever possible. I might consider using full depth pantries or upper and lower cabinets for more storage and counterspace on wall C. I don't think an island would fit either but maybe a tiny café table with a couple of stools would if it were pushed against the wall with the radiator, depending on how much that doorway gets used. With a good design and interesting accessories and surfaces (paint, counters, backsplash, etc.) I think your kitchen will be lovely.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Tile,

Here's a suggestion for a layout. What I've tried to accomplish:

* an open, airy feeling created by storage mostly below the waist and avoiding bulky items around windows/doors/openings

* sink and island prep areas allow window views

* friendly seating area provided by 15" countertop overhang

* min. 36" clearances (OK according to Sarah Richardson kitchen designer)

* use mostly drawers - the IKEA ones are super practical for almost everything

* replace the corner unit with the 37x37 one, which is generally considered more functional, especially if you put in 32" super susans (mine holds all my pots *and* small appliances)

* suggest a smaller, cuter fridge that is more appropriate to the scale of your kitchen - the layout below shows the 28" wide IKEA one, or you could use this adorable model:
    e.g. Northstar Model 1950 in buttercup (29.5" wide)

* put microwave on a shelf below the counter in the island

* I would not clutter up your walls with upper cabinets - minimal open shelving for decorative and frequently used items

cabinets below are: 1=37" corner, 2=18" drawers, 3=30" sink, 4=edited-dishwasher, 5=24" wide+12" deep, 6=18" wide+12" deep, 7=24" drawers, 8=36" wide - put microwave here, 9=18" drawers

This post was edited by feisty68 on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 14:41

• feisty68
    10 years ago

edited to add: that should be a dishwasher to the right of the sink

Curtains would be fun:

This post was edited by feisty68 on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 14:42

• feisty68
    10 years ago

If you feel like you need more storage, you could add four 39" W x15" H horizontal cabinets for less frequently used items above your window on the radiator wall. These also come with glass fronts.

This post was edited by feisty68 on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 14:59

• Tile
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the excellent feedback! I'm so glad I made this post.

I was so set on one of those chimney range hoods that I never even considered a nice-looking "pro" style under cabinet range hood.

I really like the minimal open shelving look, but I'm afraid my family does not own enough nice dinnerware to make it look nice. We're also organizationally challenged and have trouble with clutter.

I've changed some things around:
    http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/US/UI/Pages/VPUI.htm?LoadDesign=b17dac67a56a420e93d232d616a5e07f&UIContext=Kitchen&IsSharedDesign=1

What do you think of this hexagonal island someone on the Ikea forums came up with? Would you prefer it to a small rectangular island?

Valuing aesthetics over function (we've grown accustomed to cooking in poorly designed kitchens), do you think it's worth sacrificing the 12" depth pantry so I can put an island in? I don't want to make the kitchen look cramped, but I also like the way islands look. Or should I just stick with a small kitchen table and forget the island?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Kitchen Planner

• Tile
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some details I forgot to include:

The door on the east wall, which is being resized, leads to a tiny room (can be used as a pantry) on the north and the outside on the south.

The nook on wall D leads to the dining room. The door on Wall C leads to a bathroom.

I'm thinking of getting the Frigidaire Gallery, 28.5" counter-depth side-by-side, FGHC2331PF for $1200. I considered some smaller models like Fisher Paykel, but I wanted to keep my refrigerator budget under $1600.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

The new floor plan looks much better! I had something similar rigged up but failed t post it.

Given that a seated person's back would b to a wall/window/radiator you could get by with an island moreso than if you really traveled behind it a lot.

• eam44
    9 years ago

All kitchens look boring without a fabulous bs :)

The boring, difficult, but really most important part of this whole endeavor is the layout, the bones of the plan. The fun stuff comes when you choose your materials. You've gotten some great input on the layout. Now perhaps you can get some more targeted input on the finishes.