Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please look at my layout and tell me where to put microwave

Posted by beachlover2 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 20:15

I have decided to go with a hood over my 30 " GE profile instead of the
microwave. Thanks for the great advice in the post below. I am asking for help in finding a place for the microwave. The bottom cabinets are drawers with pull outs. Anyone with a great idea? All your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!! I am showing pictures of the plans for the new kitchen. You may have to view with your photo viewer to make larger. I am not very good at tech things!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please look at my layout and tell me where to put microwave

I like having the microwave close to the eating area of the kitchen. We use our microwave mostly for reheating leftovers, so having it close to both the fridge and the diners works well. With that in mind, I would choose a location at the bottom right of this floor plan.

Your upper cabinets look like standard 12" depth. I can't really tell what's happening on the peninsula, but perhaps there's a way to build in a space for a microwave on the end, facing into the work area. Another idea is to the left of the sink? Can't realy tell what's going on there.

o

I can't read your diagram well enough to suggest a place, but that $64,000 question is part of what led us to replacing the cabinets (better layout, but still no good place for the microwave) and ultimately to chose a drawer microwave. We put ours between the cooktop and the table. It is close to where we cook and bake, but also close to the table, where we carry some of the heated food. Some folks suggest putting the micro near the fridge, but I would focus on where the heated things are used. That seems easier for carrying and for traffic patterns. With that in mind, look for a 24" drawer stack and put it in the upper half.

Again, I can't read your diagram well enough to tell, but if that is your fridge on the right and in the corner, it looks like you have a filler, but if you give yourself a bit more room there and use a pullout or put in shelves, you can make use of the space What do you see going on in the right and lower half of this kitchen? Other than a fridge that is somewhat obscured, it strikes me as potentially under utilized space. I'd like to see you explore some layout options that might give you better use of this large space.

o

I like the MW near the refrigerator and eaters too. I enlarged your layout as best I could and I wonder if the 30" cabinets two down (to right) from the refrigerator might allow a MW. I note you have both 30" upper and lowers, accommodating different MW choices.

o

Is this layout final? Can you change anything?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here