Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyrgirl35

Anyone have a similar layout?

nyrgirl35
10 years ago

Does anyone have a layout simular this?
70" window on a 108" wall, so no cabinets on window wall. It's a long narrow kitchen, so my first thought was feeling like I was on a train while facing the large window and cabinets straight down both sides to end. I do love the idea of a large window in a narrow kitchen, but still unsure?

My other option would be make window 51" with 24" corner upper cabinets! (Probably my safe option).
If I go any bigger then 51" with 24" corner cab then cabinets will be right up to window with no room for trim.

Thoughts? Opinions? Does anyone already have that type of set up that I could see pics? (Narrow kitchen with lg window and cabinets straight down )

Comments (7)

• bpath
    10 years ago

My parents' vacation home is very similar, with a large window at the end over the sink, cabinets ending just before that end wall, but without the peninsula. Instead, they have a breakfast sunroom where you have cabinets. But the large window is wonderful, opens the whole thing up. You might consider ending the cabinets before the end wall. It is difficult to reach into that corner (but, I'm under 5'5") especially when the dishwasher is open, and plus it seems to make the room widen out, less train-like.

• User
    10 years ago

Try searching on Houzz using the description you've given here: long, narrow, u-shaped kitchen with a big window. You'll be surprised what turns up! I have a very odd kitchen, super narrow galley that is basically a corridor, and even I've found vaguely similar set-ups on Houzz. Most are totally staged and unlike anything that will ever appear in my house! But it's great for generating ideas and a sense of perspective. Apartment Therapy might also be worth a try. Good luck!

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks bpathome and smalloldhouse. I just found this pic on houzz, seems train like to me and I would say my kitchen is probably about a foot narrower :/

Think Im leaning toward the 51" window with corner cabinet and some room for trim. But yet would love a nice big window there! Ughh decisions

Unless I end cabinets before wall like bpathome mentioned and maybe sconces or something to hang on side of windows?? Thoughts?

This post was edited by nyrgirl35 on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 11:10

• bpath
    10 years ago

I think corner cabinets would add to the train look, adding a tunnel dimension to it even. Put the scones on a china plate with a cup of tea, and hang sconces instead. ( just kidding...don't you hate typos and autocorrect? My autocorrect keeps changing "the" to "hyena", go figure. Like hyena is such a common word in the Midwest!)

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol autocorrect gets me every time and I quickly read it over and all of a sudden I'm like what the? Lol

• deedles
    10 years ago

Agreed that corner cabs would not help anything and would 'box in' the kitchen. I think that window and the cabs on the side look wonderful!

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another pic I found. Here the cabinets are right up to window. The first pic there is a much bigger space, btw window and cabinet.

If I go with a 70" window I will have 3" from cabinet to window trim

If I go with a 60" window I will have 8" from cabinet to window trim.

Which look do you like better?