Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen quote for RTA

Posted by vonecu4 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 20:07

I am shopping around for a redesigned kitchen. Below you will see one I like. It is priced with fabuwood cabinets and they quoted me 17,500 not installed with the door style of wellington Ivory.Im sure in the next week I will have a better idea as I will have other bids in a similar design's but in other brands not RTA. But for 18 cabinets it appears a bit overpriced. I got a MSRP or List price list online from a dealer and it appears with 18 cabinets it should come in around 13k List with crown molding. I think it is a bit overprices for RTA assembled but would like your input.

[URL=http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/vonecut/media/2_zpsddf9fb88.png.html][IMG]http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a549/vonecut/2_zpsddf9fb88.png[/IMG][/URL]

This post was edited by vonecu4 on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 20:17

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen quote for RTA

Expensive for Chinese. You can do better by going American.

o

Seems high to me too. I paid <$6k for 16 cabinets which included two base drawer stacks, a spice pullout and a pantry base with rollout trays. Included delivery; installation was another $1k. These were made locally for me, but were only $1k-$2k less than Barker, Cabinet Authority, HD and Lowes.

o

Agree that price seems high for RTA.

o

That seems ridiculous high to me. Our Barker Cabinets came in at $10,500 for 16 cabinets. Those included 4 drawer stacks, full height pantry cabinet with roll outs, finished end panels including 3 full height finished end panels ($$$), crown, light rail, high quality Blum hardware with soft close doors and drawers...and delivery...you can definitely do better.

o

I am going to go try a difference Fabuwood dealer in the area and get them to quote the kitchen. I just cant see why they would come in 6k over MSRP for these RTA pre-assembled cabinets.

o

I just recently got a quote on Fabuwood cabinets and I don't think they were RTA. I have pretty much the same amount of cabinets as you and I was given $14,000 with install. I wasn't really interested because they were Chinese but the cabinet guy wanted to give me a price on them, he did recommend them. I want made in the USA though.

o

Bored tonight.......

Just figured out the cost of your design using Kabinart, a semi custom brand I offer from Nashville Tn. I have had an account with Fabuwood in the first store I set up with a partner I walked away from who turned out to be an evil person. Another story....

The dealer cost for Fabuwood at that time was .34 plus freight. We had to assemble it after we got it. They would only assemble for deliveries made from their building in the suburbs of Ny....

Most dealers are very aware of the cost and competition... I am surprised you would get a price that high. If you are looking at an RTA brand and realize that it is you normally are trying to get the full overlay look at the partial overlay price of the American brands that are entry level in cost...

$12,576 would be our price for the Lancaster from Kabinart. That would be a solid wood door, all wood box (meaning plywood) with solid wood dovetail drawer box with soft close guides and soft close hinges.... This price includes the crown shown on your plan, toe kick, finished ends as needed, and a touch up kit. Meaning I did not purposefully lower the price to make it look better knowing additional items would be required to make a complete install....

Most dealers are very aware of the competition.. Fabuwood should be a lower price then that.... I have a 45% margin on that price meaning dealer cost is around 7,000

Its a gutsy move to price fabuwood that high. Either they see you as a sucker or they really do not want your business and priced it high to politely say no thanks....

Fabuwood is not a rock bottom priced RTA cabinet they are in line with JSI and others like them....

You should be able to get semi custom cabinets from various brands that are entry level in price and quality for less then the quote you have been given...

o

Thanks everyone especially David. That really puts it into perspective. David, I sent you an email.

Thanks again.

This post was edited by vonecu4 on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 13:14

o

I'm sure I could do it in Aristokraft for half of that. Made right in Indiana too.

o

I have almost the exact same layout, slightly smaller. We went kraftmaid. We have 2 drawer stacks, pull out trash, 36" sink, lazy Susan corner, 24" tall pantry, 12 " pull out and 8 uppers. 15 pieces all together. We did stained maple in a shaker door, did not upgrade to plywood boxes, light rails but no crown molding. Our total was just over $5000 delivered. Hope that helps!

o

We buy 10-12 kitchens every year and have good experience with forevermark(tsg) brand of RTA's. Their platinum line(pacifica in cherry and few other colors are pretty good and reasonably priced. Its a good buy if you can get 50% off mrp with free shipping. stockcabinetexpress.com is a good place for best prices and talk to Fred.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here