Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seosmp_gw

Bumped out counter-height window - to drywall or trim?

seosmp
10 years ago

Hi,

I need to finalize my window layout for my new counter-height bumped out window so it can be ordered.

I like the look of the bump-out to be about 9-10" of counter into the bump-out space.

I'm trying to decide whether to use drywall vs a finished trim look (similar to finished look around windows and door openings using moldings).

I think the 2 options are:

1. drywall and no 3.5" casing around the outside of the opening.

2. 9-10" trim piece + 3.5" casing around the outside of the opening.

Is there any reason to do one vs the other?

I was leaning towards the finished trim look, but on a different thread, someone mentioned the drywall being a more modern look and it made me question this.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I wouldn't worry about "modern" look - choose the option that you want to live with.

I also understand about second-guessing every decision!

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Well what style are you going for? Is your design overall modern as in a modern style kitchen (contemporary)? If so then I would use all drywall and I wouldn't use trim around the opening and drywall inside.

However is your kitchen more traditional style or transistional style? If so I would do all trim.

In general I don't like the look of wood trim around an opening that then the insides are drywall. Use the same material around the opening and the sides. The mixing of the two to me looks odd.

• seosmp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

I agree with you about the casing trim around drywall - I don't think I'd go that route.

If I use casing, I will use a nice wood on the box as well, painted the same color as the trim. I just saw an example of this yesterday (2LittleFishies window). I think our window depths will be approximately the same.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchbath/msg0323361126337.03225538154 1.jpg

I think that looks good.

I actually just saw another option - drywall the box, have the backsplash wrap into the box, and then put the casing right at the window (inside the box). That looks pretty good too. I guess the benefit there might be that the box could be a bit wider (width of the trim on each side) -- assuming the wider width could be accommodated. Or the window would have to be narrower to account for the casing, and if there is no casing on the inside, the cabinets could be a bit wider.

Hmmm - I better figure this out quickly!

This post was edited by seosmp on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 14:11

• toddimt
    10 years ago

I would pick it more on the overall look of your kitchen.

Mine is all drywall. It is a more modern/transitional look.

I also have moulding around all of the other windows and doors. My kitchen is open to the other rooms and all is visible. I went this route also since I am not planning on tiling this wall or having a tiled backsplash. I saw this look on another kitchen and liked it. If the wall was going to be tiled or you were having a small height of tile/granite/marble, etc as a backsplash, then you may want to have the moulding as a way to terminate it versus having the tile turn the corner and run into the windows. It may not even be possible to do the latter if there isn't a wide enough amount of trim between the edge of the window and the sides of the bump out. If you we're planning on tiling all the way up the wall, then you could use tile chair-rail vs. wood trim as well

Think about your backsplash and what you are doing on this wall since that will help decide how to trim or not trim it out. You can always drywall the insides of the window anyway and then just decide later if you want trim or not. There really isn't a need for wood jambs on the inside on the window anyway.

You could make the box wider and put casing on the inside as well. Depends on how wide you want the box to go and if you can do that and handle the plumbing questions you had in the other thread. Also, depends if you want a more modern/transitional or craftsman look vs traditional. That also depends on the casing look.

How did you handle outlets and the kitchen sink. Don't want that to come back and haunt you at inspection time.