Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lblue_gw

soft white led lights same color as incandescent?

lblue
12 years ago

I came across the very low profile soft white led premium environmentallights online & they look like they might be similar warm white tone to xenon/incandescent at a color temp of 2600-3000. I am wondering if anyone has experience with this product in the soft white color & if it is similiar to the same warm white of xenon/incandescent?

Comments (15)

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

I have the Environmental LED's and I would say they are about the the same warm tone. When my electrician was installing them he broke the connection and had to order a replacement. He ordered the wrong on and didn't realize is until he had it installed. I walked into the kitchen and noticed the difference between the cool white and the warm right away. He ordered the right one the next time.

I also have the LED bulbs in the can lights in the warm. Those sure put out the light...love them!

Nancy

• analysisparalysis
    12 years ago

I assume you are referring to undercab lights? We have the LEDs - but ours are GE - and yes, their light is a very warm white rather than the colder tones so common to LED. We like them VERY much. Like Nancy, we also have the LED can lights (by CREE), and they are just wonderful - beautiful light, at a fraction of the cost for use (but kinda pricey upfront, of course).

• ZacsDaddy
    12 years ago

I have the Environmental Premium LED lights, but they're not installed yet! We did a test with the electrician and they look really nice. We have added the Cree CR-6 recessed lights as well (which are 2700) and the light is beautiful.

When our new kitchen is finished, we'll use less electricity to light the whole space than one of the original recessed cans! (We'll actually be down to under 100 watts!)

• Spinory
    12 years ago

Lowes just started carrying LED recessed light kits made by Sylvania.....they are $50 each. From what I have read, they are only available at Lowes. You need to buy the can but those are cheap.

We bought 6 of them. I have no idea how they are going to turn out but I do love LEDs and think they will be fine. Keeping my fingers crossed about the whole remodel. =)

Heather

Here is a link that might be useful: Sylvania recessed light kit

• mountaineergirl
    12 years ago

To answer your question, yes the 2700-3000K are a warmer light, comparable to incandescent. I have Environmental lights bars and I got the neutral white which is roughly 4000K and they are whiter, but not blue. anything above 5-6000K are a blueish color. I really like my lights, but would have been happy with the warmer color too. I just felt the whiter light would be brighter, but maybe not.

I have bought some of the LED bulbs at lowes for our recessed lighting and like them very much. They were about $26 each and for 8 of them, I'm using the same wattage as one of the incandescent bulbs! woohoo!

• davidro1
    12 years ago

lblue after a time we all get used to new things as normal. Variations in hues are better than keeping it all the same because the different lights add complexity inside the apparently white light and end up highlighting different hues in the materials they light. So, don't match light hue.

• analysisparalysis
    12 years ago

Our LED Cree lights are phenomenal - and they come as one unit, so you can't even see the bare bulb. The trim kit is part of the light that snaps into the can. It's a very clean look, with a very warm light (but bright)- and perhaps my favorite feature - fully dimmable!

Available at Home Depot - $50 each. But they should last 20 years, and cost almost nothing to use.

From Drop Box

From Drop Box

• lblue
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I did not think this message posted so I had posted it again today :-) Yes, I was talking about adding undercabinet lights to an existing kitchen. I have two ceiling pendants with incandescent bulbs in my smaller sized kitchen as well as a halogen light on my hood. I am hoping to find a warm white LED undercabinet light that blends. At my local lighting shop the LED was 3000 or greater & this color temp was not what I am seeking. If someone has photos of their soft white LED environmental lights 2600-3000 would be great, thanks!

• analysisparalysis
    12 years ago

Oops - my fault! Here are the undercab lights we have - again, GE lights, $50 at Home Depot (just like the Cree recessed lights!).

Turned off:

From Drop Box

Turned on:

From Drop Box

From Drop Box

Oh, by the way, these were "plug-in" lights, but DH converted them to hardwired.

• lblue
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you analysisparalysis! Those look very nice. We also have flat bottom cabinets as well (& our cabinets are inset so adding a light rail won't exactly work well) so it was nice to see a low profile fixture like yours. Are they about 1/2 inch thick or less? What is the color temp?

If anyone specifically has the soft white environmental lights brand would love to see photos & compare.

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

I just took some quick pictures. It's a very gray day out so they might not be the best but I didn't want to have all the recessed lights on and throw anything off. My undercab lights are in the front of the cabinet. I had my cab doors made long enough to give a clean look, hiding the light rail.

Here is one of my LED can lights, I got mine at HD..around $50. each but they will last a very long time. Please excuse the bad ceiling paint, I'm getting read to paint it.

I'll check back to see if this shows what you are wanting.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Environmental Lights

• lblue
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Nancy! They look great in the photo. I have a problem in that my cabinet bottoms are totally flat (no recessed lip) & I have no light rail at all, nor is adding one the ideal option with the style of my cabinets which are inset. The environmental lights are 1/2 so was wondering if they would be stealth enough if I put them toward the back.....

• analysisparalysis
    12 years ago

lblue - we will actually be adding a light rail - but even without it, we can barely see the lights. They are "curved", so at the thickest height, they are about 3/4", but toward the front and back, they slope down to about 1/4" or a little over. The light is 3000K - and I can say that they are definitely NOT a bright white. It's a nice soft color, but bright enough for tasks. If you have an HD near you, I'd recommend picking one up, bring it home, hold it under your cabinets and plug it into a nearby outlet. They are linkable, so if you are handy, you can hardwire several onto one circuit (DH wired ours onto one circuit associated with a single light switch - but each also has a small off/on rocker in case you would ever want to operate them independently, or not link them to a wall switch at all).

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

I think they would be fine in the back of your cabs. The rail is very slim and skinny and the individual lights are close together which is why they look almost solid when on.

I have them on a dimmer switch on the wall and they dim down to almost nothing. Great accent lighting at night.

Nancy

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!