Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmarcel

Acrylic undermount sink with laminate countertop?

Karen Marcely
15 years ago

What does anyone know about acrylic (Corian) undermount sinks with laminate countertops? I am doing my island in granite and due to the cost was hoping to mix up my cabinet countertops with a different surface. Plus I thought just having granite on my island makes it stand out. I saw this undermount sink (Apollo brand) with a laminate countertop and it looked really nice. Just wondering if anyone has or seen and any feedback would be great.

Comments (11)

• morton5
    15 years ago

I don't know about undermounting an acrylic sink, but I can warn you against acrylic sinks in general. I had a Corian sink in my old kitchen and hated it. Yes, the integrated installation is nice, but the sink stained and scratched horribly, to the point where I couldn't even get it clean.

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

I have a Karran undermount sink with laminate counters at my weekend lake place. I've had it for a couple years - so far so good - but I don't use it every day like you would in your home. It does stain quite easily - more so than the Corian sink I have at home - and a little harder to get clean but it cleans up well with something like SoftScrub. The one thing I do wonder about is chipping the laminate on the edge - so I am kind of careful about that. I do really like having the undermount though and would certainly do it again rather than a drop in sink.

{{!gwi}}

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

Didn't see the other post before mine - I can add a couple more comments on staining, scratching, etc. compared with Corian since I have both. I don't have any problems with my Corian sink at home - have had that about four years - scratching and stains aren't a problem. It stains less than the Karran as I mentioned and it is easier to clean.

Corian is rather "soft" though and I have the "patina" of fine scratches all over my counter. I do not notice that the Karran sink is prone to this kind of scratching - it's definitely a different material than Corian. If I had to choose one over the other I'd pick Corian but that wasn't an option I wanted with laminate since the Karran sink is better suited to this kind of undermounted application.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

An engineer inventor friend of mine who looks into all these kinds of things told me that Corian is actually just PVC. Not sure if that's true but judging from the Corian we inherited in our bathroom, it seems like it.

• bojideb
    15 years ago

I would tell people to run far away from undermount sinks with laminate! Go straight to granite, quartz, etc. Why? Here's my sob story.

I desperately wanted an undermount stainless sink, and since we were watching the budget my KD recommended a corian ring that would supposedly be the perfect partner between the laminate and the stainless sink. NOT! He told me he'd installed over 50 of these in the past 4 years with no problems. Well, 2 months after the 1 year warranty expired, our laminate started to swell around the sink and I could see black moldy stuff behind the silicone glue between sink and corian as well as corian and laminate counter. Long story short, the fabricators refused to do anything, and my KD's best offer was to help me get a discount on granite. He gave me a VERY good discount at my insistence.

If the undermount sink is your true desire, then don't use laminate.

• Karen Marcely
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow. thanks for the info. I was concerned about the seams and what happens if water gets in there, plus the weight of the sink. bojideb, that must have been so upsetting! I also was concerned about the staining. I currently have a white cast iron sink and constantly have to bleach it, especially since we're big coffee drinkers. I really want an undermount sink and thought since you could do laminate now with them that would be a way to save $$$.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I'm curious bojideb did you use a Counter-Seal ring or just the process the fabricator devised? I loooked into this and it really isn't all that new a process and I didn't find that many horror stories. about it or doing it with Acrylic sinks (the sinks are a different story).

• User
    15 years ago

yes, i was also told that you can't undermount sinks to laminate. i still don't understand why since all the sinks in my fours bathrooms were built that way and lasted almost 50 years.

• sink_10_morganb_spamgourmet_com
    14 years ago

I really want an undermount sink, but a laminate counter is the only choice for my price range. I've narrowed the products down to Counter-Seal (www.counter-seal.com) or Karran sinks (www.karran.com). Both products seem to have been around since the late 1990s.

I'm surprised to read the comment about stains- Karran specifically states:
    Karran sinks are completely stain proof. In over 20 years of selling Karran sinks in Europe, South Africa, Australia, Canada and the USA, nothing has ever been found that will permanently stain the surface.
    (http://www.karran.com/features_of_karran.html)

Karran also looks like they have a new line of stainless steel (http://lansensinks.com/about.html), but it's unclear if this will work with laminate also.

Does anyone else have experience with these products or others made for laminate counters?

• bojideb
    14 years ago

Nolamom, sorry for the late reply. I hadn't checked this thread for a while.

We used a Corian Counter-Seal ring. The KD says something seemed to have changed in the adhesive Corian tells the fabricators to use, as during a 2 year period about 5 failures like ours happened (2007-late 2008). The fabricators swore they were using the approved stuff and were certified, so it wasn't their fault. The Counter-Seal people said it was past the 1 year warranty, so it wasn't their problem. The KD quit selling the undermount rings as he couldn't afford to cover more new counters for replacements.

I just saw some ads for a new overmount sink that has a very flat thin lip, so it seems to almost look and work like an undermount sink. Here's the info--it's from an article on CNET.

"How about an easy-(and inexpensive) to-install overmount sink that gives you the look of a flushmount? That's what you get with MicroEdge, the latest offering from Blanco. It's an ultrafine rim--1.25 mm--that installs over virtually any counter material for a precision, near seamless edge.
    The sink isn't cheap--you'll spend around $600--but the install is standard enough that you can do it yourself or hire someone to do it for you for far less than a flush or undermount."

I'm was actually glad I didn't see these sinks before we ordered the granite, as I might have given in to my DH's desire to just replace the sink section of the laminate and do an overmount sink this time. If granite/quartz isn't an option, these new sinks might be workable for OP. Good luck!

• rjr220
    14 years ago

A few months ago there was a discussion regarding this -- here's the thread. Might want to consider looking at he microedge sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: laminate and undermounts