Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white granite

Posted by gabeach (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 07 at 19:57

I apologize if this is a repeat post; it does not appear my first one posted.

Please post if you have white granite with a small bit of black or grey.

I went to W.Zanger today and they only had one possibility.
It was, of course, one of their most expensive slabs. The color was called Seafoam green.
It looked more white outside in the sun, but when we went inside and cleaned a scrap,it got a lot greener than I would want.

The rep was very nice and told me they get a lot of people in who are looking for white granite, but there is not a lot if it around. The yard literally had rows and rows of slabs, but the whiites were absent, and the creams were very busy with lots of black or brown or gold mottled in with the cream.

Also, they are closed for the upcoming 3 day weekend. So, if you plan to go look at granite this weekend, you may want to call first.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white granite

Hi,
It sounds like you want a granite with a marble look. I have not found one yet but did see this one online. It is called Luce di Luna. It was posted here by someone and I remembered the name.
HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Luce di Luna

o

Because granite naming conventions are so variable, any names you get here probably won't do you much good...

Your best bet is to phone around to all of your local granite yards and ask them what they've got that's mostly white. Or if you'd rather, hoof it and go exploring.

Some of the Kashmir's or Shivakashi's can be white, Seafoam Green CAN be white, Bianco Romano is more cream, but sometimes has a greyish tint that can work instead of white. My own is 'Juparana Dunas' aka White Diamond -- but it does have a lot of dark mottling in it.

o

I have White Delicatus-it is light but does have darker streaks...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Here's a pic of my Bianco Romano-- very white, and very impervious to staining (I've had it for a year now). A dream to maintain. I don't know if you are on the east coast, but I got it at a stone yard in New Jersey-- cannot remember which one. It took me a while to find, as most stone yards did not have the kind of slab I wanted at that time (not white enough). W/Z definitely did not have it. My stone fabricator was able to lead me to a yard who had good slabs of B.R. at that time.Bianco Romano Granite-- favorite splotches!

o

I have a light granite (looks like Gold and Silver.) It is more white (then cream) with lots of black, grey and rust/gold in it. It may be a little busier then you wanted.

o

Kashmere white (many different spellings) might fit your bill. Very pretty. It was one of our contenders.

o

I wanted carrera marble, but not the hassle. I thought it would be Kashmir White granite, but then I learned about Okite. It's a manmade crushed quartz (say that 4 times fast!) product similar to silestone etc. The slabs that I saw at Walker Zanger in Sunland, CA, were very white with some hair-fine black mottling. Comparable to other lower-end granites in price. I've put up a post to see if anyone has any negative comments about it. If they don't, that's what I'm going to use.

o

I just returned from All Granite and Marble in Plainfield NJ and saw "White Fantasy" granite. It looked just like carrera marble. I did a search and found this link to a posting last fall on this topic saved in clippings system:

http://clippings.gardenweb.com/clippings/catbird

The first item is about White Fantasy granite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to clipping from Kitchen Forum

o

evan - did you get a sample for testing? I'd love to know how it turns out since I want to use that in my bathroom.

o

Evan, that looks like my island stone.

It's actually quartzite from Brazil. Arc Stone carries it as Palisades White and Dente calls is White America.

You can see the slab pictures in my kitchen folder. I haven't updated the pictures to show the island, though there is a shot of cookies I made and they are on the island. It has survived red perm. marker and wet paprika stains, so I'm happy!

Here is a link that might be useful: quartzite pics

o

I finally found a light granite that looks great with cherry cabinets and will work with my burgundy range (I didn't realize how limiting that would be in terms of granite). It's called Shiva Gold, but it's really creamy white with bits and swooshes of black, grey and wine (not gold at all. Who thinks up these names?). All day at work I got that excited little granite high feeling whenever I thought about it. So I almost cried when I did the stain test on my sample this evening as suggested by knowledgeable posters on this fabulous forum. Within a few minutes, there were wet-looking stains around both the red wine puddle and the soy sauce puddle.

Question: Should I just give up on this granite, or try sealing it? My sample is polished, but I have no idea whether it was sealed before they whacked off a corner of a slab for me to take as a sample. Also, can you ask for granite to be resined, or is that something that's done earlier in the process? Help me please! It's the only granite I've seen that I thought would work (I like the Colonial Cream posted above, but I haven't been able to find that at the granite yards).

o

Seal it and then retry your stain tests. With a few exceptions (absolute black, pearls, etc) most granites are slightly porous and do need to be sealed. If the sealed granite stains, then you'll have to weigh the look you want with how careful you are in your kitchen.

o

If you love it, I'd take it back and ask them to apply one application of sealer to it. Once it's dry, I'd test it again.

Personally, I wouldn't use a stone that required more than one application of sealer.

o

I have Kashmire White & absolutely love it.
It's a light granite, with some grey, beige & some dark dots. Looks very elegant. It has some movement, but not too much. It's pleasant to the eye.

I am one of those rare birds who has not found a countertop that I like & is durable. Most granites, for me, are too dark & have too much movement.

Kashmire white, and Blanco Romano were my two choices.
Some of the golds were too gold & I was worried that I would start hating anything with strong colors in it. I think I will always be able to live with the Kasmire White, because it's neutral & pretty. It falls into the "simple elegance" decorating category IMO. It's like buying a nice shade of beige carpeting that you never get tired of.

o

I just got my Kashmir White granite countertop installed yesterday. I went to 4 distributors and when I saw the slab, I fell in love with it. In comparison to other granites, it is whiter and not quite as busy. I got it honed - which made it whiter, so it is almost too white.

I have to say right now I have been a bit disappointed. However, the cabinet fronts are in yet and my kitchen is small, 8x10. I'm hoping that once the cabinet fronts are put in, that it won't look so busy in comparison.

I really wanted marble, but got talked out of by almost everyone since I am not a neat cook and thought I would spill something on it. If I had to do it again, I'd do the marble, since staining wouldn't have bothered me.

o

I just had white granite installed this week, and it is simply breathtaking. I can't stop looking at it! I found it by the name of white fantasy and white America. I was wondering if Sharon S would mind sharing any tips for caring for it. Thanks!

o

Hi, Mary-

Ooh, it must be beautiful! Did you use it for your entire kitchen, or just the island? I did soapstone on the perimeter and the quartzite on the island.

I'd love to see a picture of your counters! To answer your question, I really don't do anything special to care for it. Mine is honed and sealed. I just wipe it down with soap and water. My youngest son managed to get red permanent marker on the counter and I had no trouble removing it.

o

Mondragon, I did get a sample and several others as well. It seemed to behave exactly like all the other granites. I did notice that the back of the sample had mesh on it, so perhaps it is a bit fragile and needed protection during shipping?

Sharon_S, thanks for the alternate names. I've been trying to research it and not finding much. I'll google again with those names.

Maryl111, can you post a picture? Thanks!

o

Evan,

My sample has mesh too, but my counter doesn't. That may be how they ship it. Technically it's not granite; it's quartzite and comes from Brazil. The first stone yard I went to (Dente) called it granite. I brought the sample to my fabricator and she insisted it was marble. When I told her it wasn't, she got on the phone and called around and got the scoop.

I'll take a picture of my island tomorrow and post it for you. Hopefully Mary will post some pictures as well.

o

My granite sample also came with mesh on the back. I think fragile granites need protection during the installation process (perhaps more so then during shipping.)

o

I just went through the same exercise as you gabeach - "quiet" white granite seems to be non-existent. What I found is quartzite - a natural stone, not silestone or similar. The color is called "Moonlight" and it is pretty much white with some veining in grey/brown. I found it at a stone yard in Brooklyn. It was pricier than the usual granite colors - but I bit the bullet as I love it! What I am stuck on now is the backsplash - want something modern and sleek. Ive been shopping around but havent found the perfect solution yet.
I'll post a pic as soon as the fabricators are done and it is installed (about a week).

o

Sharon_S, we're still hoping for pictures of your island!!

We also wanted a quiet white granite, and actually found three good candidates on our first trip out to find granite. They were:

Bianco Romano (black and garnet spots, some beige swirls):

Satin White (very speckly, white, black and some garnet):

Andromeda White (very white with some pale gray, black and garnet spots):

We took samples of each home and stain tested then with lemon, red wine, olive oil, soy sauce and cayenne pepper sauce overnight. Both the Andromeda White and Bianco Romano are resined and showed no staining. The Satin White was not resined (unsure if it was sealed) and showed an oil spot and hot sauce spot. If anyone wants close-up pictures, I can take pictures of the samples I have.

We went back to the yard today and reserved 4 slabs of the Andromeda White for our kitchen.

o

The White America and Palisades white appear to be EXACTLY what I'm looking for!!! Like sharon s, I'll have soapstone on my perimeter cabinets and wanted a carrara-type granite for my island.

Sharon_s and maryl, where are the stone yards where you found the quartzite? I am in CT and have no problem going to NJ to choose slabs. I have gone to 4 distributors in CT, but no one has anything like the white quartzite. The closest I've been able to come is a granite called "Wine River" which is white with grey swirls and spots of garnet; I currently have a slab on hold.

I'm so excited that I may actually find what I want!

o

Alku - the Andromeda is very pretty. I like its movement better than the other 2. I bet it will look lovely.

For those with the quartzite, can you tell me about its price? How does it compare to other stones and/or how much per sq.ft? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give as I have been planning for soapstone and marble and already have made a deposit on a fairly white slab of marble. I think the quartzite may be dark enough to contrast with the marble on the display peninsula, but may also be easier to use for the work areas and less expensive than the soapstone. I had been chasing down another option, but that seems like a dead end now. This has some promise ;)

o

jillalameda, resining is done prior to shipment to the stoneyards. You can sometimes tell if a slab has been resined as it will have an uneven, amber colored 'spill' line running around it's perimeter. Some resined stones, especially light ones, benefit from a sealing after install.

alku05, that AW is just beautiful and you won't regret going with a resined stone.

o

Yes, we're pretty excited about the Andromeda White. Paulines, I could hear your "voice" repeating the virtues of resined stone when I saw that characteristic amber on the slab's edge :)

We also saw quartzite that looked like the swirly White America/Palisades posted above, but all the slabs were much more gray (although pale gray) than white. We have dark brown cabinets and really wanted a very pale granite for the contrast.

Like many have already commented in this thread, I love marble but just know that I would worry too much about etching and wear. If you've read many marble threads here, you might have noticed me mention my love affair with momto4kids' Calcutta de Oro marble. All in all I think the AW we chose is a great compromise between the look of marble that I wanted and the ease and durability of granite.

o

Alku,

Here you go. I hesitate to post the picture, because the kitchen isn't done yet and it's not the best pic. But I decided to brave it. Ignore the rugs--they are just temporary.

o

Alku, usually those 'voices' are coming from our moms, lol

By any chance, have you considered honing the AW? It might give you more of that earthy marblesqueness. What style will your kitchen be?

Sharon, ummm, not the best picture? That's gorgeous girl!

o

Sharon_S, That's a bad photo? Can't wait to see the 'good' ones...GORGEOUS kitchen. One of those where you'd never need to leave it! This is a little OT: It is an example like I searched so hard for when planning our kitchen...Made for cooking and baking, but homey and lovely, too...and with wood cabinets. That look is usually found with painted cabinets and it's nice to see it achieved with wood, because I am just not a white painted cabinet person. Thanks for sharing.

o

I saw a stone that I assumed was granite called Thassos White that looked to be the equivalent of Absolute Black, just white. No movement, solid color, small crystals.

Hope this is useful,
Andy

o

Sharon - I would have posted a compliment sooner, but had to wipe the drool off my chin first. That is such a lovely kitchen and you achieved beauty & comfort in the same place. Your kitchen speaks to me.

Andy - Thassos is marble.
HTH

o

Sharon--Wonderful kitchen!
Andy--I have a Thassos baking slab on half my island. Definitely marble. No stains, but etches. Very white, you're right.

o

I found my white granite (quartzite)called White America in New Jersey in three places. The very BEST selection and most professional source was at Dente Trading Co. in Cedar Grove (973-857-4050) or www.dentetrading.com
Good Luck! I am still in awe of it! And Sharon, your entire kitchen, not just the island, is absolutely gorgeous. I know the pictures don't truly do it justice. Thanks for sharing!

o

You are all very sweet! Thank you for the kind words. I was very happy to see it described as "warm." That's what I was going for. My house is 100-years-old and I wanted the kitchen to fit with the rest of the house. I wanted it to be someplace that you could feel welcome and not worry that you were going to break something!

I find it difficult to photograph the kitchen. It never seems to look in pictures like I see it. Everyone else seems to do such a great job.

I don't know about Mary's counters, but my White America (Palisades White) has movement (gray). So if you don't like movement, it may not be for you.

o

sharon_s, would you mind sharing how much your fabricator charged for your island? I told two local fabricators that this stone was at Dente Trading. The first quoted $3100 for a 4'x6' island with one sink and a simple pencil edge. That's $130 per square foot! I'm still waiting for a quote from the second fabricator. If he's in that price range as well, I may have to go back to butcherblock which is about $1800.

The problem is that no one wants to be left with half a slab. I would consider getting it from NJ if it would save me a bunch.

o

If sharon_s's stone is what I saw at All Granite and Marble under the name "White Fantasy", then All Granite and Marble had it in their "single gold" or price group 5 which is about $72/SF plus edge charge. I don't know how they would price an island. The prices that we got from All Granite and Marble were significantly lower than the others. Judging from walking through their warehouse, it looks like they are using the partial slabs on the next job or to make samples.

o

My second fabricator, who is closer and has a sterling reputation, called me with a quote of $2100 for the White America island top. That's $1000 less than my other quote! WOOHOO!

I drove to Dente Trading in NJ this afternoon and picked out a slab and tomorrow will leave the fabricator a deposit! This is such a relief, because I now have all the major choices made for the kitchen and really only need to choose backsplash tile and pendants.

Evan, FYI, I just saw a thread on someone's horrible experience with All Granite & Marble. I'm glad I was able to find someone local.

o

OK, not to be an alarmist, but anyone considering All Granite & Marble, consider reading a recent poster's "Granite Nightmare" in the Kitchen's section.

I live in NJ, and after reading here and on other websites how great AG&M are, it was a no-brainer to have them on our short list of stone suppliers and fabricators. I was pretty shocked by the story I read earlier tonight, and now doubt I'll be using them myself.

o

I brought home a beautiful sample of something called Ambrosia White yesterday - unfortunately, it failed the wine test big time. However, it handled wet curry powder, hot sauce and soy sauce, so I think it'll be okay once it's sealed. Looks a bit like Bianco Romano, but with more movement (at least the slabs I saw). Gorgeous!

o

Biondanonima, see if you can seal it, and then try the wine again. You don't want any surprizes!

And post pictures of those slabs if you can :)

o
Yoryona, please tell me about the stone yard in Brooklyn..

yoryona,

I just found a thread on white marble like granite and came upon your post about a great quartizite you found in Brooklyn. Could you please tell me where it is & who you used to fabricate the slab for you. I can't find any pictures of your counters but I would certainly appreciate a picture if you could post one. Thanks

o

(bump)

o

I was looking throught the FKB and found one called Wine River. Reminds me of carrera marble. Her link takes you to more photos...it's really elegant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wine River

o

Our Andromeda White granite went in a couple weeks ago and we love it! We're still waiting on our backsplash and the punch list, but here's a sneak peak:

o

Hey Alku,
Looking gooooood.....
I love your high tech backsplash, lol. That sure could save a few bucks ;)
Can you post more close up pix of your counters? They look lovely as well.
Thanks!

o

Our backsplash is state of the art isn't it? I know you all are jealous of its beauty :)

Anyway, I have a granite album on photobucket if anyone wants to see it. I had a couple install issues that have been/are being ironed out, and I took a few close-ups for another GW-er that requested them, so its a random collection of pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: granite album

o

You know Alku, that's actually a good idea. You can have a wide roll of foil behind the cooktop to match the width of your range. When it gets dirty, you would just crank the roll to expose a shiny new, clean foil surface, and the dirty foil would go into the roll below! No more cleaning behind the range...lol

o

sharon s- if you're still out there, I was wondering if you had any more pics of your kitchen you could share. The "L shape part of your layout is similar to what I'm thinking of doing. I am wondering how it's working out for you. Thanks

o
if anyone is interested

Wow, bunch of white sample pics at this website.

Here is a link that might be useful: White granites

o

I like this one, which I think is called White Gold.

o

malhgold,

I'm still around. The "L" shape works really well for me. I do all my prep at the island. The range is behind me. This allows me to cook while someone else can be doing clean up duty at the main sink--keeps them out of my path.

My baking area is to the right of the range. I've been very happy with the layout. Everything is right at hand. I get cranky if I have to cover long distances in the kitchen. I like to have everything within in a few steps.

I'll try to get some more pictures later.

Sharon

o

I hit a yard in Westbury Ny (Long Island) today and I think I found MY white granite! It's called Galaxy White. I have seen pics of it online but none that look this good! It's predominantly creamy white with some brown/red splotches and LOTS of pearly bits, which I love. I am going to go back this week to pick my slab and put down a deposit. I also saw a FIERCE looking slab of Equator White in a rough surface finish that I loved but that would be unworkable in my kitchen. I'll post pics when I go back!

o

Oy. I know this is a little off-topic but I got a bid from my stone guy on our bathroom today. We're putting Arabescata(sp?) in for our tub surround, flooring and the vanity top. It is very white marble with some beautiful grey-black veining. It is also costing us an arm and a leg. We initially started off with a bid on some beige marble- crema marfil but when I saw the arabescata, I had to have it. Well, actually, I found some blue quartzite that I HAD to have but that will have to wait until I win the lottery or something LOL. The arabescata is very elegant and beautiful and interesting.

I am worried about how it will hold up? Many of you have mentioned the marble in your kitchens. My stone guy steered me away from granite in the bathroom and I am kinda wondering why- there would be so many more choices for us, tho much of the granite is quite busy for a small bathroom.

I would hate to spend a large sum on marble only to have it not hold up for the long haul.

I did see some white limestone at the stone warehouse- it was very rough and porous- do they polish that stuff up? If so, that might make a nice counter for someone looking for white or cream color in a natural stone without all the busy-ness. I don't know about the properties of it tho...

Amy
Fremont, CA

o
New white granite

Here are a few new ones:

Brushed Equator White - very textured and sparkly!

Polished Equator White

White Galaxy full slab, followed by 2 detail shots:

White Spring - much less white than some of the others but a really pretty stone!

Tropical White (I think - I can't remember the exact name). Not very white, but a VERY cool stone!

o

I thought I wanted white, but now looking at a lot of these pictures, I think I really want a creamy white that's warmer to go with the white dove cabinets and dark alder island. I was thinking shivakashi, does anyone know how fragile that is or any other ideas?

o
RE: white

I just noticed that the pics I posted are no longer showing up - here's White Galaxy (the one I'm using). This is by far the warmest white we saw when we were looking. Shivakashi is a warmer tone but it's got a LOT of pink in it, which we didn't care for. Colonial Cream/Colonial Dream/Colonial Gold are also warmer whites.

I posted a thread about looking for a white granite with no grey in it and got a lot of responses with pics of creamier colors. If you do a search with my user name it should come up.

o

Are there regularities about which white granites stain easily, and which ones don't? I have a sample of Imperial White that I really like the look of, but it seems to stain very easily, whereas the same goos poured onto the other granite sample I took home (darker) don't seem to stain it. Someone mentioned Andromeda white as one that doesn't stain as easily. It looks terrific, but I'm interested in knowing what my range of choices is.
thanks!

o

Jane-o, look for a slab that has been resined. Most whites are naturally more porous than darker granites. However, the resining process does a great job of sealing up those pores and making it very stain resistant. Also, before you rule anything out, give it a coat or two of a good sealer like Miracle 511 Impregnator (you can get it at Home Depot).

o

Thanks!

o

I just found previous postings about white granite/quartzite (which I could not find before), so I guess we'll go with the Blue Cloud - it's gorgeous!

o

I was so excited to see the pix of Palisades white/White America/White Fantasy. I had resigned myself to being unable to have carrarra in my kitchen b/c of the staining/maintenance. Now that I have seen this quartzite, I have hope, again! However, I went on the dente trading co site and it has been discontinued. Couldn't find it on the all granite and marble website, either. Have been steered toward something called Monte Blanc but have yet to see it next week. Anyone familiar with that stone? Or, anyone have any idea where I can get that Palisades/White America? Unfortunately, I am in the Boston area.

Also, for those of you with the quartzite (evan_nj, sharon_s, nuccia) has it continued to be stain/maintenance free?

o

Since this is the thread that never ends, I thought I'd finally get around to posting photos of our granite, Colonial Cream. It's more of a beige or cream granite (as the name implies) with swirls of browns and ambers, some silvery blue marks, and a few garnet dots. Also sparkly white mica--if that's what they're called. Looks sort of like caramel swirl ice cream.

o

Sharon S,
LOVE your White Fantasy quartzite and have looked all over for it in my area (FL). I have located some from one of the posts on this site and my fabricator is telling me they may not be able to get it for me as they don't have an account with the company that is selling it (which seems silly, but fabricator didn't sound very happy with me for tracking it down at a non-approved vendor).
Anyway, how are you liking your countertop? What is the maintenance and durability like? Both dealers I've talked to about the White Fantasy have pointed out that it's not as high-maintenance as marble, but that they'd treat it like marble as it will stain and etch more easily, is more porous? Have you found this to be the case? We love the look of marble and so, love this stone! But they're scaring me a little as I want low maintenance! We have two little kids. I'm sure plenty of juice spills in our future, etc. Has it stained? Do you have to baby it?

I'm also a little worried that it's not a product that my fabricator has worked with before. Were there any issues at installation or did it go in without a hitch? Any advice there?

I'm torn...LOVE the look but a little afraid to be pushing my fabricator into something that might be outside of their comfort zone. Or they may say they just can't get it and then I have to decide whether to risk going to another fabricator (that isn't the first rec of my contractor) or change my stone choice.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated (by anyone with White Fantasy quartzite kitchen counters for that matter).

Thanks,
Dawn

o

Hi, Dawn-

I'm glad you like my counter! It's been great. I had it sealed, and haven't had any staining issues. I'm really surprised that they said it would etch. I have no etching, and it was one of the things I tested with my sample. I have 3 boys who are not the neatest. My 16-year-old has a habit of nighttime grazing, and he tries to clean up after himself, but he's not good at it. ;-) I've found dried spaghetti sauce, lemonaid spills... none of it has caused any etching.

I can't imagine that the fabricator would have any installation issues. Mine went very smoothly. It's like any other quartzite. They probably just don't want to deal with a different supplier.

I don't know what to tell you. If your fabricator really doesn't want to work with it, and something does happen, they will probably just blame you. I hate when this stuff happens.

Can you get a sample to play with? I highly recommend getting a sample and having it sealed, then throw your worst at it. It's the only way to know if it is a good fit for you.

Good luck! Let me know what happens.

Sharon

o

We have had our White Fantasy granite/quartzite now for about three months. I have never lived with granite before so I can't really compare it to anything else, but it seems fine so far. The pattern is wonderful: it doesn't show anything in the way of crumbs and will hide almost anything. You have to really look hard to see what needs to be cleaned up. That could be a drawback, of course. There advantages to spills being conspicuous.

Two experiences suggest that it is somewhat susceptible to stains. (1) I left a jar on the counter trapping a pool of water underneath for a couple of days. When I took it up, the stone was darked by the moisture; it then dried out and reverted to the previous color. There is so much gray in the pattern that it wouldn't have been noticeable even if it had been stained. (2) My kids over cooked something in our microwave, which was sitting on the counter. It ran out under the microwave and sat for several days before we realized what had happened. This did cause a slight stain, but you would only see it if you knew what you were looking for it as this pattern masks everything. I don't know how these experiences compare with other granites, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that I should have cleaned something up within a day or two so I'm not displeased.

We love the look; it is so much more interesting that conventional granites. I think that, had we not found White Fantasy, we might have gone with soapstone instead.

o

Bumping this up for Fin1!

o

Alku05 - I am very interested in your granite. We were considering Bianco Romano but after seeing your beautiful kitchen, I would love to track down Andromeda White. I hope you do not mind if I ask you a couple questions. Do you know if there is a difference between Andromeda and Andromeda White? I went to a stone yard today and they had a stone they called Andromeda but it looked a little different than yours in that it seemed to have more a greenish hue rather than gray. Also, where do you live? I live in NC and am just wondering where you found your slabs.

o

Stnjan, I'm in Ca and found our slabs in Ventura. What you found does sound a lot like our counters. If you look carfully at our counters in person, the gray spots have a very faint green undertone in some places. It makes sense to me that the amount of green would vary throughout different slabs. The names of granite vary so much, it's better to go by appearance than name.

As you might have read above, we originally wanted Bianco Romano, but the slabs we were finding at the time weren't nice (two-toned). The Andromeda White we ended up choosing was extremely similar to the whiter half of the BR slabs, but without the movement.

You can se some closeups of our stone in my granite album linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite pictures

o

Bumping up for allwright!

o

Bumping up for aec2917!

o

Bumping for discussion of quartzite.

o

This reminds me of Bianco Carrera marble. I found it on Casabella.com. They call it Piracema White. You may have to hunt around for it though.

o

Sharon S, I love your kitchen! The wall color is really great. Would you happen to know the brand and color? I keep thinking I want to paint my kitchen a warm khaki color, then I see your pic and I can't make up my mind. My cabinets look like yours and my counters will be black quartz. Thanks in advance on the paint color. Sorry to get off topic.

o

Thanks so much, CT! I checked my cans (a year later and I still haven't written down the colors. I'd better do that). The colors are from Benjamin Moore: the green is called Soft Fern (2144-40) and the trim is bone white. The island color matches to Hancock Gray. Another khaki-ish green I really like (used it in a bathroom) is Nantucket Gray.

Hope this helps!

Sharon

o

I forgot I promised to bump this up for someone! Hope I'm not too late.

o

bump

o

bump

o

bumping up for bungalowdawn!

o

bumping up for Marilyn!

o

bumping up for aflowerfreak!

o

I'm pretty sure that Thassos White is granite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thassos White

o
RE: Thassos White

On second look, I found it referred to as Marble on some websites. When I went granite shopping it was sold as a granite.
Donna

o

You might also want to look at quartzite. It is a NATURAL stone. It is harder than granite (some of them). I almost went with one since originally I wanted marble. You will have to check around to see if you can find it. It is absolutely beautiful in person. Cost was a smidge cheaper than my granite--which was a low-medium price granite.

Second Choice

Here is another quartize which was about three times the cost of the first one, but absolutely stunning in person.
message board size

o

We took a sample of quartzite home, called luce di luna at the yard we were at. It looks a lot like the first quartzite above, but the veins were fairly consistently horizontal. It was a beautiful stone, but everything stained it. We assume if it were properly sealed, it would be OK. We changed our cabinet colors, so moved on.

o

I want to put white galaxy in my powder room but to be honest it doesnt look white the undertones look beige. The installer wants to give me a white sink, but i want beige do you think beige would look better

o

Wow, I didn't know this thread was still around! Bumping up for dlspellman

o

To those with white granite, how is it holding up? It is so beautiful, I'm bumping this old thread up because I would love to have white granite.

o

What price points have you all been getting for white granite?

o

• Posted by pip (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 22:36

I was quoted $45/sq ft for White Princess Granite (quartize) and today found Super White Granite for $16/sq foot.

Can anyone recommend a good place to find White Princess in Southern California, specifically the LA area? I've found it in the Bay Area but there is a pretty hefty shipping cost, and I have to buy it before I see it, which makes me nervous.

o

Anyone know of good places to guy white granite or quartzite in the Chicago area?

o

I know I'm a bit late to this post but it was so helpful to me in choosing my granite for our kitchen renovation. I wanted the white marble, but knew it wouldn't work for our family. Maybe someday. For now, I went with River White and just had it installed. I love it and it doesn't have any browns in it which was what I was going for. I love the very white sections, but the contrasting grays and bits of light garnet are a nice contrast to my white painted cabinets. Take a look!

Here is a link that might be useful: My White Kitchen

o

This website has been very helpful, since we too fell in love with marble, but just aren't comfortable with its high susceptability to etching (and chipping/scratching). Has anyone found dealers of either white granite or whiter quartzite in the Portland, OR area? Thanks everyone!

o

Kathleen, you may want to check out Intrepid Marble And Granite. They supplied the Kashmir white granite for my kitchen and it is beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: white granite

o

If u still looking for a white granite , we have a source for you.
Also have a quartzite natural stone name Emerald Green, Volga Blue,Carnival,Sta Cecilia,Porto Rosa(Black w/pinck lines), Labrador Antique, Red Marinace,
Marble; Giallo Realle,Madras, Crema Marfil,Onyx,MichaelAngelo,Rain Forest green,Rosa Orchidia,Breccia Oniciata, Botatino Fiorito.

o

The best white granite available is Kashmir White Granite. This Granite is beautiful and with the black and grey spots. These spots called as Garnets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kashmir White Granite

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here