Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Galaxy granite opinions??

Posted by koolforkatz (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 19:51

I am a newbie here and have spent the past several months lurking and reading and learning so much through all the wonderful posts on here. My new flooring was installed last week, my cabinets yesterday and I am now down to the crunch and have to pick out a countertop tomorrow as the fellow is coming by to measure. My cabinets are Ikea Adel Medium Brown, if anyone is familiar with that, and the flooring a handshaved reddish-brown. About a wall and a half of the kitchen is mostly windows, southern exposure, so I"m pretty sure we have enough light to easily have a black countertop. I was going to go with Absolute but then thought I wanted a bit more punch. My husband loves Black Galaxy and I love it, too, especially when it "twinkles." My only concern is whether I will "love it long time." I generally don't like fussy but prefer simpler but like I say, I really do like the look of the Galaxy. Any thoughts at all??? Cleanup isn't so much a concern. I wipe my counters every day anyway and am committed to having to do so religiously if I go with black granite. Thanks so much :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Galaxy granite opinions??

Doesn't Black Galaxy have tiny copper colored sparkles in it? I think that would look great with your medium brown cabinets.

o

I have black galaxy, actually star galaxy with the same cabinets you have. I love it. You can't hurt this granite and it doesn't need sealing. My kitchen doesn't get much light and it still looks fine. Give me a minute and I will send you some pictures.

o

I have Black Galaxy for 1.5 years since re-doing my kitchen. I love it -- easy to clean, bullet -proof and the twinkle at night is just gorgeous! Yes, the flecks are copper. If you love it then go for it! Good luck! :)

o

Thank you :) it's funny because when I first saw my cabinets hanging up I thought "black galaxy" and the other choices kind of went out the window. I think it would go perfectly with the cabinets. Funny, 'cause I only picked up a sample of it my THIRD trip to the granite shop. And BTW, of course, I asked about the sealing and they said, oh, yes, it definitely had to be sealed. Has anyone had it sealed and not had any problems?

o
Ikea and Black Galaxy

These pictures are a year old. It wasn't quite finished. But it gives you an idea what yours would look like with the Adel cabinets.

backsplash2

o
Ikea and Black Galaxy

Oooh.... nice, Dollfanz! Thanks for posting that - nice kitchen! The combo is so nice together. Very striking.

o

Check the absorption rate...I think you'll find it's too dense to take a sealer (absorption rate <0.25%).

From the Stone Advice thread (linked in the "Read Me" thread):

BUT: Not all stones need sealer either. Stones like Blue Pearl, Ubatuba, Black Galaxy, Verde Peacock, Verde Butterfly, Platinum Pearl and many others are too dense to absorb any liquids - sealers included. Sealers only protect stone from staining through absorption, so in stones with low absorption coefficients, sealing would be superfluous.

Sealing dense stones could lead to nasty results, such as streaking and ghost etching, so DO NOT go by the motto of "seal it anyway, it could not hurt". Rather test your stone for absorption by dripping water on it to see if it darkens any. If the water has no effect on the stone, sealing it is unnecessary.

Thread: Stone Information and Advice (& Checklists)

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

o
Black Galaxy in the FKB

o

Thanks, Buehl for both. From what I read I didn't think it needed sealing either. I've asked and they said "Oh, yes, it does," but I'm a bit nervous about it all. On the other hand at this stage of the game, I'm also tired of arguing with contractors and suppliers ;)

o
Black Galaxy

Thank you. BTW, they really shouldn't be sealing it. It will just sit on top. Also make sure it is true black galaxy and not fake dyed. My brother was sold fake black galaxy and had to have it all yanked out. How you can tell is look at the raw edge of the slab. If it's doctored, you will see the black dye there.

o
Black granite? Test it for dye...

Yes, some black stones have been dyed (especially those from China). To tell if you have dyed black granite (Black Galaxy, Absolute Black, etc.), test it. The test is in the Stone Advice thread I linked to previously.

The black color along the edge may or may not be dye, so it's better to test it specifically for dye rather than assume it's dyed when you see a black edge.

If it's dyed, don't get it. They dye will start coming off and you'll be left w/a splotchy stone that will eventually return to whatever color it was originally.

o

Black Galaxy granite is one of the darkest Stone available. This comes with Metalic stars which makes it looks like galaxy in the sky.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Galaxy Granite

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here