Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colorblind1961

Anyone have a Stacked Stone Backsplash?

colorblind1961
14 years ago

I was in a friends new home today and her backsplash was a stacked stone veneer - it was beautiful! Does anyone have this type of backsplash in their kitchen? If so, can you post pictures? Thanks!

Comments (29)

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Colorblind, not sure if this is what you are looking for. I know that some stacked stone BS have more of a 3-D effect.

HTH,
    Eliz

• mollys_mom
    14 years ago

Very very nice Eliz

• colorblind1961
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's it Eliz! It looked absolutely icredible in my friends kitchen (which happens to have the same colors as mine). It seems like such a great option, I'm just wondering about cost. My friend's kitchen was built with the backsplash, but she knows for a fact that it is a veneer. I've been looking for something different for my backsplash - I think I've found it!

• hogar
    14 years ago

I have drystacked ledgestone on my fireplace family room. I would also like to mimic this as a backsplash in my kitchen. I suggest you take a picture of your friend's backsplash and post it here to see if someone can identify it. Here is a picture of my stacked stone..

{{!gwi}}

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Thks, MM! Hogar, that is some gorgeous stone. Colorblind, ours is Walker Zanger. It's the Antequerra Random Mini Brick. Pricey, but we wanted a great focal point and thought that it was worth it. Hogar is right - post a pic and see if others can help or check out the Finished Kitchen Blog. There are lots of price ranges in this type of stone.

Eliz

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Ccoombs, so far so good. And I am *not* a neat cook, by any means! Mind you, although we've had a ton of people over for dinner, I haven't made a mess o' sauce yet - time will tell :-)

Eliz

• colorblind1961
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'll try to get a picture of my friends kitchen, but we are now 300 miles away (went visiting over Easter). I'll see if she can email a picture to me. I'm hoping that the veneer is less costly than primary stacked stone - I really want this backsplash!

• sewwhatsnew
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}

We are considering this brick/stone for the backsplash,
    do you like it with my granite??

{{!gwi}}

• sewwhatsnew
    14 years ago

Bumping this one, may start a new thread. I would like a couple opinions on this stone brick I'm considering. Maybe I should get a couple more pieces to stack. I really like it. I've brought home polished and tumbled stones, and subway tiles samples, I didn't like any of those choices, so I was going to go with a 5" matching granite backsplash. I realize the stone won't clean up the best, my gas range has a back on it. I've always liked brick in kitchens, we will have a stone/brick fireplace in the great room. I've considered using this on both, but hubby is not sure this would work on the woodburning fireplace.
    Do you need to see more pics of the galley kitchen, my appliances are black, floors are cherry and the stone compliments the floors too??

• sailormann
    14 years ago

I have some friends who put that stone veneer in their kitchen. I was wondering about the clean-up factor when they did it, but it has been about a year and a half now and it doesn't seem to have gotten too dirty. There are some stains on it but you have to look for them.

• mdev
    14 years ago

This is really funny- we've been indecisive on the backsplash for months and as soon as I saw elizpiz's photo I thought, that's it!

Can you please share the color from Antequerra?

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Mdev - I don't think it came in any other colour choice than this one (at least that's the only sample I saw and seems to be the only one on the WZ website). The link is below although I don't seem to see the exact thing we have (and for sure it's Walker Zanger). Here's a couple of pix of the sample board we borrowed from our tile place; it says "random mini brick" on the board:

HTH,
    Eliz

Here is a link that might be useful: Walker Zanger

• LBrothers_nc_rr_com
    13 years ago

What do you do about the outlet plubs and light switches?

• Molly_H20
    9 years ago

I was wondering if elizpiz would mind giving a follow up review on cleaning a stacked stone backsplash. I am thinking of this for my kitchen, but somebody suggested it might be hard to clean especially behind the stove where it could get splashed with bacon grease or sauces.
    I would appreciate any feedback on this. I love the look but at the same time I don't want to get stressed every time I'm in the kitchen worrying that I will stain my backsplash.
    Thanks.

• countrycrafter
    9 years ago

Ours is real rock but it's been a year and no issues to keep the stone clean. It's been vacuumed 2-3 times for dust and any splashes are cleaned with a small brush. I do have a steamer which I planned on using but so far so good.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Awful idea.

• Barbarav
    9 years ago

Why awful, Trebruchet? Cleanability? It does look gorgeous!

• Huntingflower
    9 years ago

I think it is beautiful! We are redoing our kitchen. Should be starting within the next month and I am set on brick veneer. Love these looks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Barbarav:

I think women in stiletto heels with seamed fishnet hose look gorgeous, but that doesn't mean I'd expect them to work in them, and that's what a backsplash, especially one behind an appliance, has to do.

See how that splash looks with a couple years' worth of fettuccine alfredo sauce on it.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I have stacked marble, but do not (and would not) have it behind my sink or stove.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Wow- very timely post- I just posted that I'm looking for a brick backsplash. Will check the WZ site!

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

I saw this at IKEA a few weeks ago. It was calling my name as I have been without a backsplash for many years. Any idea where I might find something like this? Does it come on mesh?

• aztransplant
    9 years ago

We had a "Golden Gate Stack Stone" back splash for six years. After the installation we coated it with "Miracle 511 Porous Plus," which was recommended and sold by the tile dealership. Never had a problem with cleanup behind the range, which I attribute to the sealant. We LOVED that back splash and plan to do it again in our new house.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I had used brick behind my cooktop for 27 years, and now for another 18 months behind my range, no problems with grease. If it's the look you want, I say go for it and enjoy!

• mkuyekawa
    8 years ago

RNmomof2 zone 5 did you ever find that backsplash?

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    8 years ago
    no I didnt. I did find some similar ones at the big box stores. the colors were different though. I didn't like too hard to find the original one.
  • whocareswhoiam
    8 years ago

Its been several years since you used the stacked stone for the kitchen backsplash - do you still like it? Cleaning easy? Odors? Seriously considering this and would love your feedback after several years, please. Some threads on houzz have warned not to use it...

• elizpiz
    7 years ago

Seven years on and our stacked stone backsplash still looks great. While there are other things I would do differently, the focal point backsplash isn't one of them!