Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamir_gw

fireclay vs. quartz farmhouse sink

lamir
16 years ago

Hello, I would like a farmhouse sink for my new kitchen. I saw the Whitehaus fireclay on Ebay and was ready to purchase it,but then saw one by Mitrani made of Titan Quartz. This seller claims that when you put a garbage disposal on the fireclay sinks, and it is tightened too much, hairline cracks can happen around the disposal. The quartz sink is supposed to be much tougher and resistant to stains from hot pots. Any one know anything about this? Thank you!

Comments (65)

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

hi Islandmomof3,
    If you want to shoot me a few pictures, I can put them online and link them for others in this thread to see (if that would be OK by you).

I'm definitely very interested, but wondering about the satin vs gloss factor of the finish.
    Thanks!

• islandmomof3
    15 years ago

Okay, I figured out how to post them to photobucket. Try this link and see if it works for you!
    http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p264/ricsan5/Westbrass%20Sink/

Also, in trying to better define the "gloss" factor of this sink, I would describe it as "glossy", not "high gloss". It does have shine to it, it's not like the (ugly) composite sinks that I saw at home depot and lowes. There is a reflexion factor to it but it's not high gloss like an enamel sink. Of course, I have the textured side facing out so you're not going to get as much gloss as you would with the smooth side facing out.

On other thing, It was very true to size. My husband did not have to do any "funky" cutting to make it fit.

I have the 2 bowl sink and I can fit a 9x13 pan flat in one side. So far, most of the larger items I've washed in it fit perfectly and, since it's fairly deep, I can get quite a stack of drying dishes if I need to! :)

• islandmomof3
    15 years ago

And yet another post! :)

I forgot that I did not buy the sink on e-bay but I bought it from http://stores.channeladvisor.com/bobsfaucets/store/search.aspx?key=westbrass+sink&imageField.x=0amp;imageField.y=0

Great price and I could not have afforded a farmhouse sink otherwise. I'd encourage you, if you're really thinking of doing it, to order it while the price is still under $500. On ebay they're $850.

• islandmomof3
    15 years ago

I received an e-mail from the place I purchased the sink regarding how to maintain it. I thought I'd post it here in case anyone would like the information.

The Mitrani Quartz sink is a mineral filled Acrylic/Polyester mix  solid surface sink. It can be cleaned with mild abrasives, such as Scotch Brite pads, Comet or Soft Scrub. These same products can be used to buff out minor scratches. As the sink matrix is non-porous, very light sanding with wet or dry sand paper or non-petroleum based automotive rubbing compound can also be used.

Waxes can be used on the sink (like Turtle Wax or MaguireÂs car wax) which will increase the luster over time, for a shinier appearance.

• jdechris
    15 years ago

I looked at a quartz composite sample this weekend but it was not westbrass. There were grayish specks in the composite - similiar to what you would see in corian.

Islandmom - is this the appearance of your sink or is it absolutely white? I am interested in the sink only if it is totally white & appears to be fireclay.

Thank for your input

• oruboris
    15 years ago

I can't go by a silgranit type sink display in the stores without running my hands over them: they are wonderful to touch, more so than any other sink I've encountered.

• islandmomof3
    15 years ago

The appearance of my sink is totally white, completely smooth. Very "silky" to the touch, in my opinion. I do not like the composite sinks either. I thought they were ugly and not what I was looking for at all. If you feel the solid surface sinks that they use in Corian sinks, you know, the ones that are all molded to be part of the counter, then you will see what the Westbrass sort of feels like. It's a very solid feel. I have absolutely no complaints so far about mine. It's been installed for 2 weeks so I realize it's fairly new but so far so good!

• scubated
    15 years ago

I am ordering the Westbrass quartz sink this week. The price is going up 10% on June 1. Just a heads up in case anyone is needing one in the next few months.

I am pretty excited because I can get the westbrass farm sink and also a silgranit sink for less than a $1000. That is less than half of what I was originally thinking when looking at the Shaw farm and a Franke double sink.

• alice462
    15 years ago

I can't get to the photos - can someone help me? I am very intererested in this sink! Have been looking at Shaw's and am having a hard time spending that much $$$. Saw this online the other day, and would love to see it installed! Thanks!

• islandmomof3
    15 years ago

Good morning,

Alice462, try copying the link: http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p264/ricsan5/Westbrass%20Sink/

just highlight it and then right-click, choose "copy", then click on the address bar in your browser and right click again to "paste" the address. The pictures should come up.

My husband has since put the cabinet doors back on so it looks better now but you should at least be able to see the sink installed at the point we were at when I took the pictures.

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

here ya go:

• alice462
    15 years ago

Thanks so much -- pictures are a BIG help! I like it installed! Alice

• shelayne
    15 years ago

Hi-

Long-time lurker here. :^) Just wanted to say THANK YOU for this thread! I had been eyeing those Westbrass sinks for a while on eBay and had the trembling finger over the "Buy it Now" button many times, but the price was a little scary, and I am certain my husband would not just be scared, but PETRIFIED. Heh.

Thanks to this thread, I followed the link and without the trembling finger, made my purchase. Just FYI-I found the seller's store: Bob's Faucets and Things (I believe), on eBay, and he has the exact same price that is on the link listed in one of the posts above. The price for the 30" single bowl is $436 + shipping.

I ordered it Friday night after I read this thread, and I received my tracking info today. I am so excited!

Hurray for Gardenweb's Kitchen Forum! Thank you!

• lamir
    Original Author
    15 years ago
  • Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Shelayne and Lamir,
    How are your new sinks?? First impressions? Any installation stories or snafus or tips? Thanks!

• shelayne
    15 years ago

I haven't installed it, yet. I am nowhere near that point in this process. I have been just "gathering acorns", so-to-speak, getting my ducks in a row before the sawdust really starts flying.

It is heavy, so my hubby pulled it out of the box, so I could admire it. It is lovely, very large, and deep. The hubster said we could probably put all our dishes in there and not even see them from a distance. ;^)

So far, I am very pleased, but that is only from touching it and looking at it--not from actual use.

• scubated
    15 years ago

Mine arrived too. It weighs 70lbs. It does have a lovely smooth surface. Don't know when it will be installed. We are almost 1.5 weeks into the renovation.

• linley1
    15 years ago

Bumping this up to see if anyone else has installed the Westbrass sinks. I haven't been able to see this sink in person. Is it a bright white or a soft white?

• caligirl_cottage
    15 years ago

Dying to see this too. My GC told me today to get my sink ordered NOW. No more waffling or indecision, I've got to get it delivered next week, so time to hold my breath and push the "order now" button.

• jen4268
    15 years ago

I hate to type a "tease", but I have the sink installed in my laundry room and I will take a photo tonight and post it for you. i have the granite and the faucet installed which makes it more complete.

I only have this really bad picture from my phone that makes it very hard to see.

linley1- it is more of a soft white than a bright white to my eye.

• jen4268
    15 years ago

Sorry for the delay- here is a picture of the installed sink in my almost finished laundry room. I love it so far!

• shelayne
    15 years ago

Jen,

It looks fabulous! I can hardly wait until I get mine in. But that will be a while. So, for now, I will just enjoy the pix that have been so generously provided.

• lamir
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello, did anyone find a grid to put at the bottom of this big 30 X 20" sink? I wrote to Mitrani, that they were producing one, but it will be $159.00. I was hoping Rubbermade would make one for like $8.99?

• shelayne
    15 years ago

I bought one off of ebay that is actually for one of those high-end stainless steel sinks, but the dimensions work with this sink, and the opening is in the center, just as the Westbrass sink has.

I think I paid $40 for it. Definitely NOT $8.99 (and I looked for one of those!), but also not over $100. Seriously, I was NOT going to pay more than $50-$60. I felt sick enough spending $40!

Remind me what the inner dimensions are again? (Mine is still in the box.) I will keep a look out for anything that looks promising.

Lamir, did you get your sink installed? Photos? I am living vicariously through y'all until we get ours in--which will be a while. ** sigh **

• cookie08
    15 years ago

Has anyone used their Westrass Mitrani sink long enough to have an opinion about it? Do you have the sink bottom grids?

• lamir
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all, my sink is being installed tomorrow! I'll let you all know. I love the feel of it, and touch it everytime I walk by! Still looking for a grid. The dimensions are 30 X 20 inches, so there is nothing in the local stores that big. Holding my breath that my existing garbage disposer will fit, and I won't have to buy a little mini one. My kitchen cabinet man said he will do whatever he can to "make it fit".

• tanders
    15 years ago

jen4268--that's a cool faucet that you used in your laundry. May I ask what brand it is? It's like the best of both worlds--two handles, yet it has a pull down sprayer. Can you lock the spray on, or do you have to just keep the spray button pressed? Very cool.

Sorry, carry on...

• cookie08
    15 years ago

I looked up that faucet too and added to my list. There is a matching bar/prep sink faucet as well, but it took awhile to find it online.

• shelayne
    15 years ago

Hi Lamir,

I am so excited for you! Will you please post photos of it after it's installed? Are you undermounting it? If so, would you be so kind as to take a photo underneath? I am trying to decide on a garbage disposal and am worried about the size.

It sounds as if you have the 30" single, am I right? If so, can you refresh my memory as to the inside dimensions of the sink, mine is not easily accessible at the moment.

Thanks bunches!

• lamir
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi yes it's 30 X 20. So big! I wish I had it when the kids were little. Would have been great to give them baths in! I will take pics of all. I'm in my 14th week of construction, 10 weeks without the kitchen!

• shelayne
    15 years ago

The INSIDE dimensions are 30 X 20? The inside bottom of the sink measurement is more specifically what I need. I thought those (30 X 20) were the outside dimensions, but just want to clarify. Yes, I thought the same thing about my children. I did bathe them in our double sink, but this would've been soooo much better. Like a big Roman soaking tub for them! LOL.

Ten weeks without a kitchen? Yikes. That's tough. But, I bet you are so excited that you are coming closer. I admit, I'm jealous. We've just started the whole process. I have already purchased almost everything. Now it is just a matter of TIME to do it, since we are DIYers.

• jen4268
    15 years ago

tanders and cookie08- the faucet in my picture is a price pfister Ashfield faucet in the 3 hole configuration (there is a two hole that does not have the pull down). I actually loved this faucet but thought it was too expensive but then found it for $90.00 at faucet Discounters on Ebay! I was worried something would be wrong as it is so much cheaper than I saw everywhere else, but it came fast and was new in the box.

I just checked and they do not have any of these listed right now, but keep checking.

• islandmomof3
    15 years ago

After having my sink for 3 months, I'm as happy with it now as when first installed. There have been tea-bag stains in it, food coloring stains, coffee and everything else that my kids fail to clean up. Using Comet brings the stains out and it looks good as new. We got our granite counters installed last week and the installers got smudges of their adhesive on it. It came off with very little scrubbing. I still believe it to be a great value for the dollar and I absolutely love the style of it. I have the double bowl and it's been so nice to have enough room to wash a cookie sheet lying flat on one side.

We originally had the sink upmounted but, after installing the granite, it ended up being mounted level with the top of the counter. I like it that way, although I did not mind the upmounted look either.

Now, on to figuring out tile for the backsplash and counter that will extend into the breakfast nook. It's always something, isn't it?

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

jen4268,

what color are your cabinets painted and what granite did you use in these pics?

• jen4268
    15 years ago

Hi Pluckymamma- the colors are more Duron colors- the cabinet color is Millet and it is glazed with Brush Box. The granite was actually a remnent, as it was such a small space. I asked for something similar to St. Cecelia, but it was called Venetian Gold.

• luvhorses
    15 years ago

Enjoyed all the info re: Mitrani Farmhouse sink. Have been unable to open the links from islandmomof3 or lamir. I've found them for between $700 & $800. Has anyone purchased one recently & is that about what you paid? Framer just finished floor on our house so time to make decisions on fixtures. Thanks for any info!

• linley1
    15 years ago

Luvhourses - Check out Bobsfaucets. One of the posters above bought from them and they seem to have the lowest prices at just under $500.

• luvhorses
    15 years ago

It's finally time to get a Mitrani quartz sink on the way for my new house! Anyone have any specific feedback regarding preference for the 30" vs. 33"? Since qualitybath.com has the 33" w/free shipping, I'm considering ordering from them. Anyone have any experience with their service, promptness etc? I didn't find the 33" sink on bobsfaucets.com

This entire thread was so intriguing, it totally convinced me that that this sink is it & it'll be awesome! Thanks for any advice you might share!

• pebbles81
    15 years ago

bumping this...I have a question

I noticed the sink is smooth on one side and fluted on the other. If it's undermounted, can the smooth side face forward? Does that make sense?

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/bobsfaucets/Items/tq30sb-wh?&caSKU=tq30sb-wh&caTitle=Bristol%20Single%20Apron%20Front/Undermount%20Reversible%20Sink

• twinkletoesmomma
    15 years ago

oh, I'd like to know also about undermounting with the smooth side out.

• shelayne
    15 years ago

The sink is reversible. You can mount it any way you'd like.

We are almost to that point in the process, and I will post pix when we get there.

I cannot believe I am FINALLY going to be able to take it out of the box! LOL.

• afearn_comcast_net
    14 years ago

I found Mitrani Sinks at http://www.MitraniSinks.com

Contact them at: sales@mitranisinks.com

About Mitrani Titan Quartz:
    Titan Quartz is a homogenic material made from natural minerals, ATH, quartz and polymers. This solid surface product does not contain any layer of coating or glossing and can be renovated after years of use simply with a soft polishing of the surface. Since the color is molded throughout the entire bowl the Mitrani Titan Quartz sinks offer super scratch, stain, and heat resistance and provide enduring beauty that keeps up with the styling trends of today.

Â Extremely Hard
    Â Stain and Scratch Resistant
    Â Smooth Clean Surface
    Â Heat Resistant
    Â Garbage Disposal Safe
    Â Reversible for Fluted or Skirted Farmhouse Sink Installation.

Maintenance Instructions:
    1) They recommend cleaning Titan quartz sinks with gel gloss cleaning products found at waveplumbing.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Mitrani Sinks

• kbbb
    14 years ago

Mitrani Sinks made by Comapny in Israel called Mitrani
    I happen to know this company and they have great products
    I even have one of the farm sink and I realy like it.

If anybody want to know more details I will be glad to tell you about it.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

kbbb,

How long have you had your sink, and how is it about stains and such?

We are getting ready to install ours (FINALLY), and I just want to hear from someone who has had theirs a while. And pictures would be even more fabulous!

Thanks!

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

How deep is this sink?

• shelayne
    13 years ago

I just measured mine, and it is 10 1/8" on the outside and 9" on the inside.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

• ruthie13
    13 years ago

I love this forum. Everytime I have a dilemma - I find the topic is currently being discussed. I am looking for a farmhouse sink but I do not want white. I want a great color or an off white color at the very least. I want it big and I would love a design on the front.... perhaps fluting or something else. I don't think I want copper because I am having trouble with the copper and stainless combination. I have been on line researching for hours on this and I can not find a solution under about $2000. I also want a coordinating prep sink and would like it round. I am about to scrap this whole idea and go for an undermount sink. Any suggestions?

• cookingofjoy
    13 years ago

Would anyone be willing to give an update on their Mitrani?

ruthie13 - it may be too late, but Kohler has a few designs and quite a few color options that look like they'd be in the price range. I'm thinking they'd have a possible coordinating prep sink. Or what about stone?

• daphneymyers
    13 years ago

I have done further research. You need a place that explains how to maintain a fireclay farmhouse sink after installation. Read below...

For normal cleaning, recommend scrubbing the surface of your fireclay sink using hot water and a soft sponge or cloth with a mild abrasive. Then wipe the entire surface with a dry, clean, soft cloth.

For heavy duty cleaning, and those tough marks, use any general purpose cleaner. The most recommended cleaning product is "Astonish". This can be found in most Super Market chains as well as on eBay! As a cheaper and easier product to find, AJAX works just fine even for those annoying pot marks.

Do not use any metallic wire sponges, this may cause damage to the sinks finish!

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireclay Farmhouse Sink Maintenance

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH