Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angie_diy

Ideas for offbeat, vintagey backsplash pattern/color?

angie_diy
11 years ago

I'd like to ask for some help in choosing my backsplash. (Yes, Marcolo, I am guilty of trying to grab some matching, uhh, pants at the last minute on my way out of the house.)

Background: My house is a 1929/1930 Mediterranean revival. I am going for a vintage vibe, but not a reproduction of an old kitchen. As I will show later, my floor is travertine, but with a checkerboard of salmon/coral and tan tiles, the cabs are light brown maple shaker, and the countertops are a grey-blue soapstone with black flecking. The walls are a fairly bright yellow. (I was aiming for butter yellow and missed; I have grown to like them, however.) The fridge and DW will be covered in patinaed copper, and I am planning to use copper cabinet hardware. There is still plenty of stainless steel, however, as I did not get the copper sink or range hood I coveted.

I was influenced by the succession of "timeless" threads; I do not delude myself to think my kitchen will not age, but I'd like it to age gracefully. With no offense intended to others, I also happen genuinely not to like most of the current BS trends. So, all in all, I am looking for something that is a little offbeat and memorable, but tasteful. Frankly, I also do not want to spend $30/sq. ft. or even a fraction of that.

With all of this in mind, I think an interesting design in simple ceramic tile may fill the bill. I think such a thing would make the BS hard to date. I have two contenders to suggest, but would really love to hear ideas from others. I need help both on the pattern and on the colors.

The first pattern contender is to blatantly rip off, err, I mean pay deep compliments to, Melisstar's lovely kit. This would employ subway tiles set in a herringbone. However, the orientation of the herringbone would be not the usual angled one, but rather running vertically:

Note that my house has original subway tiles in the upstairs bath, and many other vintage ceramic tiles and designs throughout, so I think it could "support" subways in the kitchen.

The other contender is a hopscotch pattern. Here is a schematic of that pattern:

I would probably use larger tiles (maybe 6") in a sage green color, and smaller tiles (maybe 2") in a lighter yellow than the walls, but hopefully something that matches.

Here is a mood board that incorporates that backsplash (although my range is really a black BS that does not have brass trim):

And here is a closeup of some of the relevant elements. The cabinet color is visible above as well as on the wooden square on the left. Next is a tile in Daltile "Cypress" and then a small one in Daltile "Cornsilk," and another small Cypress. The red and tan squares represent the floor, and the copper pipe represents the patinaed copper panels on fridge and DW, as well as the eventual pulls. The countertop is Python soapstone, and you can see a bit of the yellow in our stained glass panel. (The brass pull was there to see if antiqued brass was tenable; we don't think it is.)

So, can the backsplash geniuses at GW suggest patterns and colors that they think would work?

As always, you have my lasting gratitude for getting me this far!! (But that and $4 will get you a latte!)

Comments (65)

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You all have me thinking that calmer would be better. I am not married to the hopscotch; I just felt like it had the right qualities of being a bit off the norm, but not outlandish. Looking at it with new eyes, however, I can see how it is a little busy. (This was noted by Pal, for example, in the Are kitchens headed in this direction? thread. Still don't have a direction that I am leaning, but your ideas are giving me a good start.

RemodelFla: I am old enough, too. Thought I would update the expression for the Starbucks generation. ;-) I was really hoping to use more than one color to tie various color elements in the kitchen together. Perhaps that can be done with one color+decos...

Wolfgang: What a great site! I could spend (more!) hours there.

Sparkling: thanks for the note! I am pleased to hear that hopscotch was authentically used in pre-War houses. I used epoxy grout on my floor, and I think I may do that again on the walls, assuming I do tile. If not, sealer is a must, I agree.

Quirky: Interesting! I had never even HEARD of anaglypta before. (Neither, evidently, had my spellchecker, as it just flagged it.) Will look into it.

Mizinfo: Wow, thanks for the careful analysis. I think you make a number of excellent points that were there, but hard to see until you articulated them.
    I noted some answers to your questions earlier, but again, the floor tiles are filled and honed/polished 6x6. In my hopscotch plans, I was going to use 6x6 large tiles, and 2x2 small tiles. That was mostly to get the balance of colors between the two correct. It amazed me that, when using standard 4.25x4.25 tiles + 2x2 tiles, the area of the small ones looks far more than the 22% that it actually is.
    I definitely see your points about the interrelationship between size/shape/pattern.
    Color: Umm, not sure what looked blue on your monitor. The large tiles in my mood board were supposed to be olive/cypress/gray green. (I actually took the image from the Daltile site.)
    Finish: do you think matte tiles would be better, in light of my comments about the counters and floors?

We thought about a copper backsplash. Still thinking, I guess. I worry because I am using them already for fridge and DW. Here are my eventual panels getting a much-needed sunbath:

Might be too much copper. Personally, not nuts about stainless.

All for now! A.

• ayerg73
    11 years ago

Modwalls has some really cool plus shaped tiles in some muted colors - not many to choose from, though. That's what I thought of when I saw your hopscotch pattern.

• Cateskitchen
    11 years ago

No offence to Mizinformation, but I love the Daltile Cypress, only I would go with a brick joint and a rectangular subway tile. That color lends itself nicely to the Mediterranean style of the house and the pattern has a nice vintage feel without being too dated.(I know this idea isn't very offbeat...)

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

I think it would help to see the stained glass; it might help decide what pattern would work best. If you choose the anaglypta option, you would need something else behind your range since it's flammable. I like the vertical herringbone in a pale yellow, but it would depend on the pattern in your stained glass window if it would work well in your space.

I really like the choices you've made! Can't wait to see what BS you choose!

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shanghai: thanks for the tip. Penny round is so funny -- it looks vintage AND it looks '60s AND it looks way modern. We tossed around the idea of doing it with actual US pennies (for the copper), but decided not to pursue that idea. Liking yours, though...

Marcolo, I like that idea, too. That is what is in my bath (with celadon subways, black cap, and B/W stenciled listel). In the kitchen, almost all of the backsplash ends under a cabinet, up under the light rail. Hence, not a lot of space for classic bullnose to top it off. Do you think that having the top course tile (not bullnose, since it butts up to bottom of cabinet) be in a contrasting color makes sense?

1929: Thank you for your thoughts. You know, I am coming to your way of looking at things (i.e., simple is better). I bet Coco wasn't going to the beach the day she said that! ;-)

Lax: Thanks. I think I can avoid small slivers by judicious choice of large/small ratio. I think that if I choose 6x6 and 2x2, depending on exact size and grout size, I can keep the pattern "locked" such that you always get either 1/3, 2/3, or a full tile showing. But definitely something to bear in mind with hopscotch.
    We do have a lot of commonality going on! (I think the runnels comment goes too far, though.) I assure you, however, that I do not have stick-wielding kiddos running around my house! Too funny about the yellow.

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bmore and flowers: Let me just come out and admit it: I was being coy. I selfishly/secretly was holding out on that shot for "the big reveal." However, since you asked for it, I'll show it. Not to mention that, you are correct, it has a bearing on the choice of backsplashes.

I should explain that those striped drawers will not be visible in the final product. They are the "mixed hardwood" option from Scherr's. I absolutely love 'em, but they will be covered up by the drawer fronts. (I am waiting to get the cabinet pulls in hand before installing the drawer fronts.)

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I'll be curious to see what the designers say, but since I've loved your floor every time you've shown it and you have the a similar diamond pattern in your windows, why not continue that pattern in the backsplash? Too much of a good thing? Not "offbeat" enough?

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mamagoose: I am fairly committed to not doing a 3 or 4" backsplash. However, doing soapstone tiles is not off the table. In fact Detroit_burb suggested that to me unbidden a long time ago. I see that M. Teixeira. now has 3x6 soapstone tiles. I think I will get a price on those.

cawaps: Excellent idea! Seriously, this is a really promising idea! It is simple, cheap, interesting, unusual. It could be used with 1, 2, 3 or more colors. Funny, I did see it and like it in the DAT thread, but it never crossed my cranium to use it in my kitchen. Humans are funny, no?
    This idea reminds me of a floor I saw in a cafe in Amsterdam. I was so taken with it that I took a million pictures. All of the tiles were the same size, but they did a really neat effect with 6 or so colors:

These tiles we not even set on the diagonal! They paralleled the wall. They just made this feeling of being diagonal solely through color choice.
    In my (and Pal's) case, what do you reckon for sizing? Do you think he used 1x2's?

• cawaps
    11 years ago

Here is Palimpsest's backsplash from the DAT Art thread:

It needs 5 courses of tile to work (you might be able to shorten the top or bottom row), so you'd have to work backwards for your tile dimension. Pal's board showed about 16 tiles in the width of what I think was a 36 inch range, so appx 2 inches wide. Maybe a 2x4 tile?

• laxsupermom
    11 years ago

I like cawaps suggestion. That could be sensational in your kitchen. I like the penny round, too. Real pennies might be too much copper, but it's so pretty when done. You could mount it on plywood like these folks did, and change it out if it was too much copper.

For offbeat tile ideas, I've always liked the tile in the Barney's NY ladies room. Not your colors, but the patterns are fun.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Angie, look at this page for inspiration. You don't need the top bullnose. Just do a retro liner one or two courses down from the cabinets (depending on field tile sizes). MTW makes custom color combos, so you can bring in your floor, window, whatever in a small element. I'd run it horizontally around the room, let it die into the window behind the stove, but by the sink, I'd have it take a 90 degree turn down, follow beneath the window sill and then take another 90 degree turn back up. Or run straight under the window, but have the deco tile go either over or under your stove window. Just avoid the outlets.

• formerlyflorantha
    11 years ago

A quick look at the thread might let someone erroneously think that that first photo is from the kitchen. It's only a sample tile pattern from somewhere else, right? Those first stained glass windows are not yours, right?
    _____

Angie, I'm the one who once started a thread on disquieting backsplashes. The hopscotch pattern is one of those, at least for me. Intellectually you can rationalize it but visually, it will never sit still. Your eyes will tell your brain to figure out why it seems to have movement and you will lose your train of thought. Every time I'm in The Tile Store or a similar place and I see one of these, it just stops my thinking and takes me on a birdwalk elsewhere. Can't think straight.

I veto the pennyrounds. Knowing that they are historically accurate is not a sufficient reason for them.

---

The rest of this is a presumptuous personal commentary and you can stop reading before venturing below.

I am assuming that you are interested in a somewhat-historical, happily colorful and playful yet working kitchen. Nevertheless, there needs to be a peacefulness, especially if there is not a large space. Am I correct?

You already have a number of geometric rectangles and diamonds. They are dominant, despite the small amount of rounded floral items within the stained glass. The sink edge is another minor area of roundedness but it is very different from the flowers.

You're thinking very well; those tiles in the photo are good ones that compliment everything. But your question is how to assemble them so that they play well with the whimsical kitchen and with the historicity. Try to rephrase that, though, and ask yourself "what is my reason for having this backsplash."

One thing I always consider when I make a design is "where are the clowns?" meaning what are the items that demand us to look at them. You can only have a couple up to a handful before they begin to compete and make a circus. Your range window and your floor are two "clowns." The copper itself will be a major design factor and whether it will retreat to secondary status or be a "look at me"" is not clear yet. The light fixtures in the mood board are not subtle either and the countertop has diagonal movement. Your cabs have a lot of rectangularity. And your windows have non-diagonal rectangular grids in them. The floor has naturalness but some of the tiles you've seen here are very artificial and unnatural. The usual "wait until it's all in before you add a backsplash" might be good advice here. Believe it or not, you might do well with a wallpaper that adds only texture and no definable design. In fact, will you really need a backsplash?

If you crave color, you still have fabric and objects to add and much can be done with them.

I very much like that multicolor tile floor from your vacation--I can see why you photographed it. But it has the luxury of covering a very large space and can take its time being quirky. My need for peace would say go for restrained quirkiness, at best, because the room is too tight for a battle.

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

Cream colored subways (or baby tiles like 1x2s) with a red liner. Possibly with a black cap.

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am sorry I have not yet been able to respond to the latest great ideas. We decided to take a last-minute weekend getaway. Therefore, I will be incommunicado this weekend. I am so grateful for the help so far, and will follow up on this thread when I get back. THANKS.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Wow Florantha, love your post. The clown analogy is helpful to me and hopefully to the OP as well. In re-reading your post several times and going back to her pics, I too wonder if she needs a back splash. I think I'd at least wait until the copper fridge panels and the rest of the doors/drawer fronts were installed and then see what it feels like in there.

• athomeinvagw
    11 years ago

Angie- love your kitchen and that bathroom floor is so pretty! What about something like the backsplash I have linked to at Busby Gilbert, simple and vintage but the diagonals echo the floor and the stained glass. Cannot wait to see your finished kitchen!

Here is a link that might be useful: back splash- so love this color!

• athomeinvagw
    11 years ago

Looking at your kitchen the splash I linked to may work well if less of the diagonals are used so are spaced out more. Another backsplash that would look nice is beadboard painted the color of your trim with stuff hung on it- a knife holder, a utensil rack, etc. I really want to see more of your house!

• thrauli
    11 years ago
  • formerlyflorantha
    11 years ago

O.T. Deedles, I have posted the "clowns" analogy a few times over the years. It works for me but I know that it can irritate or make people confused. Glad you have found it useful. Everybody thinks differently; I think in metaphor a lot. [Proviso...I'm NOT a design professional. I'm a rank amateur, but I like to think that my age gives me some perspective.]

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am finally back at this, and I think I have made some progress with your help. I will post some feedback to your comments and my latest ideas in a little bit.

To get the ball rolling, though, first I will post the money-no-object solution. (It's not that bad, at $35/sq. ft. Still too rich for my blood.) If I didn't care about the money, I think I would put this in. The curves would go nicely with my arches and curved stain glass window and range hood, I think.
    {{gwi:1814344}}

I adore this! It is completely custom, so for $35/sq. ft. you get to choose the glaze, the height, and the focus point of the vortex!

Here is a link that might be useful: North Prairie Tileworks

• FabFrugalJane
    11 years ago

My vote is for travertine subway tile in either a very small pattern or a larger one, OR, Venetain plaster.

The link below has several examples, the first one is similar to your darker floor color. Scroll down and take a look at the lighter colored ones around the cooktop which is also noce travertine, same as the floor.

Your kitchen would look stunning if your carried it all the way to the ceiling around your range hood and definitely keep it in one color as the natural variations in the stone will create enough of a pattern.

These tiles were purchased in 2009 for a cost of around $4.50 sq foot plus installation. Because the granite is so busy and it's got a lot of green and gold in it we didn't use it on the backsplash but used Venetian plaster instead.

Venetian plaster is gorgeous and insanely cheap if you do it yourself. While you're on the link below, use the search box and type in Venetian plaster to see several examples.

You could do a beautiful terra cotta color plaster and seal it with Bri Wax for a rustic finish or an acrylic gloss if you want to add some sparkle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen backsplash ideas

• marcolo
    11 years ago

That's hot.

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ayerg: Those plus-shaped tiles are adorable! They would be perfect for a quirky, fun, modern kitchen, too. Funny that, like the penny rounds. they could be used either way.

Cateskitchen: I really like that Daltile Cypress color, too. We kept (keep) vacillating whether to go full-on Tuscamerican coloration. Sitting in Panera bread will do that to you (yes, pull you in both directs!)

Flwrs: Isn't Melissastars backsplash (posted in first picture) just lovely in the vertical herringbone/pale yellow? This is still a contender.

Jessica: Boy, that first diagonal red/white backsplash appeals to me (no surprise!). I, too, was hoping someone with more refined taste than I would weigh in on whether this is too much of a good thing. My head says that it is.

Lax: thanks for the actual penny link. Learning how long it took those folks to accomplish that officially ends that idea for me!! The floor that I put in took soooooo much longer than I planned -- never again!

Marcolo: Thanks for the details. You'll see your suggestion show up in my schematic pictures later. I really like some of those MTW combos. I am inspired indeed!

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Florantha: First, yes, I was not as clear as I should have been. That first picture is Melissastar's kitchen. It struck me as an exemplar of the character that I was looking for: not usual, not bizarre, tasteful, inexpensive.

Second: "But where are the clowns? There ought to be clowns. Quick, send in the clowns." I think your analysis is spot on; you nailed it. Yes, your assumptions about my desires are correct. And I think you have correctly identified the clowns I already have sent in. You have influenced me. I think I will back off and relegate this element to "rodeo clown" status: this clown will work in the background and merely support the major players. Thank you so much for putting it that way!

Bmore: sounds tasty!

Deedles (and everybody): On my thread where I was discussing picking my floor, it was pointed out that in the 20s/30s, floors were more wild (like mine) but backslashes were either nonexistent or austere.

Athomeinva: I love that backsplash! My girlfriend's boyfriend (if you can still say "boyfriend" at our age) has a counter and backsplash like that that well match his 1925 home. Another contender.

Thrauli: Those mosaics certainly do look happy. Thanks for pointing it out.

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, I have made some CAD drawings of relatively simple designs. For reference, here is the wall I am targeting with my drawings.

First, the simplest design. Here is a rendering of plain ol' 4.25"x4.25" tiles with a pencil liner. My antediluvian CAD program is not great at colors. I am trying to convey either a creamy, off-white tile or perhaps a pale yellow. Liner and accents are intended to be sage green, although I am (alternately) interested in a darker tone (i.e., artichoke or Daltile cypress):

Now, let's jazz that up a little. (Not too much, see clowns discussion above.) 4.25"x4.25" in a brick pattern:

As another option in this vein, let's try 3x6 subway in a brick pattern, but set vertically:

I know which one I like best. Do you like any of these?

• pawa
    11 years ago

I love your kitchen! It's so cheerful and looks like you could add lots of fun accessories that would integrate into the scene nicely. I like the mockup #1 or mockup #2 from your cad drawing. I love the green tile you chose.
    I think the square 4 X 4 ish tile is classic (by 'classic' I mean it's something I personally would never tire of). The pencil line of tile looks great too.
    I think it will a little bit be busy, but I'm a fan of busy :-) I don't think it's overdone, and I think it will go nicely with your floor.

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Isn't it rich? Are we a pair?
    (Send in some clowns?)

• dseng
    11 years ago

For your kitchen (which I really like!) I think option #2 with the running brick pattern is the way to go.

• BalTra
    11 years ago

Angie,
    Your last CAD drawing reminds me of early Atari games -- I think centepede or space invaders?

Your kitchen rocks, btw.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I vote #2, too. :)

• home4all6
    11 years ago

What about using a more "detailed" decorative pencil liner with your plain field tiles? I'm thinking it was arlosmom's kitchen? In her backsplash behind her range? Plain subways, or in your case 4" x 4". Then the pencil could be a bit of snazz, but from a distance would look like a simple pencil liner.

Ok, found pic in my oodles of saved "stuff"

Here is a link that might be useful: arlosmom on FKB

• deedles
    11 years ago

I'd pick #2 from your 3 options, too. (But, I'd still wait til everything else was in, just in case). Love the floor!

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

FFJ: Thanks, I had never heard of Venetian plaster before. I don't have any marble dust, but I do have travertine dust (which should be the same thing). Anyway, I will not do a plaster backsplash -- I want something with little texture for cleaning purposes. I wish you good luck with your website!

Marcolo: I agree, that tile is the bee's knees. (Hey, it is a 1920's kitchen!)

pawa, dseng, Baltra, jessica, and deedles: thank you so much. You made my day with your nice comments. As far as designs go, I like #2 the best so far, too!

home4all6: That is a nice pencil liner!

I am about to post a couple more ideas inspired by athomeinva.

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, a couple more ideas (which are basically the same. Athomeinva suggested some diamond decorative tiles to pick up on the floor. Here are a couple of "classic" designs that use clipped-corner 4.25x4.25 tiles.

(I just now see that I made a mistake with the window. The top course of tile needs to drop down under the window. Ooops.)

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I might have to change my vote to the latest option, Angie, since I love the diamonds (just a little bit, this time, so as not to risk too much of a good thing!). If you go this route, though, I think I'd stick to the lighter of your greens to minimize busy-ness from the contrast. Oh, and if there's a difference between the top and bottom diamond accent samples, I missed it.

• jmcgowan
    11 years ago

Love how your kitchen is coming together, Angie. Great, fun colors! Good luck figuring out your backsplash.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    11 years ago

Hello!

Angie's research unearthed an old thread from when my DH and I remodeled, about 4 years ago now, and I was planning a running bond backsplash with 4x4 glazed ceramic tiles.

I'm excited that she's considering something like this :-) Here are pics she asked me to add to her thread:

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Flipflopping...back to my original vote of running bond 4x4s, unique but calming among all the other "clowns".

I'll have to google and check out the rest of your lovely kitchen, now, melle!

• gregincal
    11 years ago

I'm pleased to see the direction this is going. I find it funny that right now people feel subway tiles are "the" classic tile, when 4x4 square tiles have been much more common over the last 100 years. I strongly considered 4x4 in a running bond, but we're going with the cut corner tiles and diamonds (except every third tile instead of every second tile). You could also consider just one row of diamond tiles down the middle instead of two.

• sweeby
    11 years ago

I really like the #2 (running bond with pencil) drawing above, as well as Melissastar's backsplash, with either a few decos (like hers) or a pencil. FWIW, I do like the Cypress, and think (in small doses) it will play well with the soft yellow.

• melissastar
    11 years ago

Happened to check in today and was startled to find a pic of my kitchen here, so...thanks for the compliment Angie!

Although I, of course, love the herringboned subway idea, my choice for your kitchen would be more along the lines of Marcolo's suggestion...contrasting pencil liner and 4X4s. I particularly liked the second graphic you did, with the running bond under the pencil liner. I could also really see the Pal 3 colored tile thing. Sounds like you've got multiple good options and aren't likely to go wrong with anyone of them, though!

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, thank you to so many people for chiming in! I do appreciate it!

Deedles: I continue to like #2, too. Boy, I thought almost everything that mattered in the kitchen was already in! The copper appliance covers are the big unsettled element, I guess.

Jessica: I like the diamonds, too. (My problem: I like everything!) The difference between the two patterns is very small -- the diamonds are offset from each other in the second one, but stacked in the first.)

jmcgowan: I appreciate your support! (I was going to say "your constancy and support," meaning that I appreciate how you are continuing to help, but I guess I had to remove the "constancy" part to allow you to flip-flop! But seriously, the "anti-clown" argument continues to have merit.

Melle_Sacto: Oooh, thank you so much for posting your running-bond 4x4s. I appreciate your effort. They really look classy. Examples of this are a bit hard to come by, so it is really nice to see it in a photo. Thanks.

gregincal: Thanks, I like these directions, too. I am kinda torn between KISS (with the running bond) and incorporating diamonds to tie in the floor. Hey, maybe your idea of using fewer diamonds may be the right compromise for my situation.

Sweeby: Thank you for the positive feedback. I appreciate your comments on the colors, because I am really weak in that department. Happily, I think all my schemes have the cypress downplayed to small doses now.

Melissa: What can I say? You are welcome, and Thank you for giving me the inspiration. Also, thank you for the feedback on the alternate designs. On my long list of things to do is to draw up your idea on the same scale as the others. At first I thought I did not need to do that, because I had your picture to go by, but I think I will do it to give a fairer comparison.

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really need to look at a plain subway:

As well as my imitation of Melissastar's vertical herringbone:

Finally, I couldn't resist throwing in the ringer:

Any takers?

• petra66_gw
    11 years ago

I love the running bond subway with a liner, most probably because that's what I have in my own kitchen. Mine are 4x8" bevelled white subways with a 1x3" multi-coloured glass liner. Perhaps too modern a take for your tastes, but seeing variations always helps me to make up my mind. HTH, Petra

Here is a link that might be useful: White kitchen in southern Spain

• stranger4
    11 years ago

I love the last one! (no idea about how it would look with the floor, though.

Of the other designs you've posted, the ones with the diamonds look like they fit better to me. Since your diamonds are so small, it looks like you've put just the right amount in.

• pawa
    11 years ago

have you decided yet?
    I thought a little about this, and I realized that I like the designs that have the jog in the pencil line around the window. That adds just the right amount of snazziness, imo.

• pawa
    11 years ago

here is an example of the jog.

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aw, Pawa, that is a perfect example of the jog! Thank you. That certainly looks vintage and classy.

I have not yet decided. I am "sleeping on it" for a while. I keep gravitating back to 4.25x4.25 in a running bond (i.e., a brick pattern), what we were calling #2 above. (I should learn to label things as I post them!) And yes, I agree with you, a jogging pencil liner seems likely to make the final cut!

I think one of the deciding factors will be exactly what tile (color, shading, sheen, $) I can find. My "plan of inaction" now involves languorously shopping for the right tile. I am actually away from my home (for work) for a few more weeks, so I am just looking at national sources and big-box stores. I intend to look at smaller tile stores when I get back.

Thanks so much for that inspiration picture. You may have sealed the deal! ;-)

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Angie, I have a vintage style kitchen, with checkerboard floor plus decorative backsplash. LOVE your floor!!!

It's not everyone's cup of tea but the patterns in our kitchen work pretty good.

Floor - Caboose Red/Tan/Crossville Tile

Backsplash: White subway w/trim, and ruby red glass diamond inserts.

Behind the stove and sink I used light yellow glass diamond inserts.

The yellow diamonds don't show up well in this picture.

• pawa
    11 years ago

Yes, I do that too, re: sleeping on it for a while. I like to sit with an idea and let it soak in before making a call :-) I hope something catches your eye while you languorously shop. I look forward to seeing how it all turns out.