Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimmieb_gw

Pool House Small Kitchen DIY Remodel

kimmieb
15 years ago

Finally feel like I am doing something. After 8 months of waiting for architects, loans, contractors, etc. to begin our whole house remodel and 8 months of being jealous of all of the posters on here who were actully getting their house built or done, DH & I decided to tackle a seemingly small project all by ourselves, our approx 400 sq foot pool house.

The pool house was dark and hardly useable as it was musty & needed some TLC. Prior to our purchase, the house had been occupied for a few years by college students and then sat up while it was on the market for almost a year prior to our moving in. With summer around the corner & the fact that we had offered to host some professional tennis players during a local tournament here in Baton Rouge last week, we started work on 3/23. So we took all of the great advice from Garden Web and put it to good use. We are very pleased with the outcome. I wanted to share with all of you some pics. This was my first dive into DIY and i have to say it was fun. Hard work but, I learned a lot. You really get a sense of accomplishment that I didn't realize. I know it's not a luxury remodel but, hopefully it will inspire those on a budget or in a small kitchen house that paint and some sweat equity can go a long way.

Still need to do the floors, PO had just painted the concrete slab. We also need to replace the ceiling fan and switch plates for outlets. I have some more decorating to do in the living area but, the kitchen is 99% done.

I have to say painting these cabinets was a LOT of hard work. I posted some info about the paint & such on the paint forum.

Here are the details:

Cabinets were stained orginally but, the finish was not thick. We sanded, primed, and painted in white. I left one of the cabinet's as open shelving and I like it. We left the upper cabinets up as it is good storage for the purpose of this house. New lighting was installed in the kitchen. New small refigerator. New pulls & knobs installed. For now we are keeping the formica countertops, kitchen sink, and stove top. They match and are adaquete for a pool house. Since i have so much to do in the main house & yard, this is a low priority. Walls were orginally a SW off white kind of gold color on the trim, walls, and ceiling.

New wall color: BM Aura Flat in Fieldstone

New Ceiling color: BM Aura Ceiling Paint flat in a 50% mix of the Fieldstone

Cabinets are BM Satin Impervo in White Dove

Trim is also BM Satin Impervo in White Dove

Cabinet knobs & pulls from Coolknobs&pulls.com. They are the silver satin finish. Order came in quickly. The only thing that was a huge pain is that the screws had to be sawed off to fit the cabinets.

I am only going to post pics of the kitchen in this forum but, will post the bath, living area, etc. in the remodel forum.

Thanks to all for your advice. I hope this post helps some people out in the future. I will post pictures shortly & more details in the kitchen forum

Walls BM Aura in Fieldstone

Ceiling is BM Aura Ceiling Paint flat in a 50% mix of the Fieldstone

Cabinets are BM Satin Impervo in White Dove

Trim is also BM Satin Impervo in White Dove

Cabinet knobs & pulls from Coolknobs&pulls.com. They are the silver satin finish.

Both the track light & the pendant in the kitchen came from Lowe's

Countertops & appliances were existing and I am not changing them for now.

Thanks to all for your advice & inspiration.

BEFORE:

{{gwi:1814150}}

DURING:

{{gwi:1814153}}

{{gwi:1814156}}

{{gwi:1814157}}

{{gwi:1814158}}

AFTER:

{{gwi:1533634}}

{{gwi:1533643}}

{{gwi:1556556}}

{{gwi:1556558}}

{{gwi:1533641}}

{{gwi:1533642}}

{{gwi:1556557}}

{{gwi:1533642}}

ONE PIC OF REST OF INTERIOR (lighting is not good)

{{gwi:1533633}}

Comments (9)

• plllog
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great redo! The kitchen looks nice and fresh and inviting.

• lesmis
    15 years ago

Wow, can I live in your pool house? Nice remodel, and where did you get the cool light with the coral?

• raenjapan
    15 years ago

What a wonderful space! I love the light in the open cabinet and the living area looks straight out of a magazine. Nice job!

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

Congratulations on a great job - it looks beautiful and so inviting!

Eliz

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

Hard work paid off here, great oasis! Lovely transformation

I'll be right down to play!

• kitchencommander
    15 years ago

OH MY!!!!! What a fabulous transformation! The best DIY remodeling tools, a plan, paint and hard work.

Gosh, we have a pool and I would love to have a pool house and that fabulous pool patio. Can you give me some info on the curtains you have in the pool patio? I do have a screened in porch, and those curtains would be fabulous in there.

Congratulations on the really great transformation.
    Bev

• timber.j
    15 years ago

Wow! What a difference you have made with all your hard work! It looks so serene and relaxing!

• pattyk_64
    15 years ago

Lovely kitchen redo and lucky you to have a great setup like that!

• kimmieb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. DH is really excited about the Pool House as he teaches tennis on the court in our back yard and we can use it for his home office and his clients to change clothes & a restroom. Will be really nice this summer to have shade when the kids get hot from the tennis lessons not to mention for our enjoyment.

To answer your follow up questions:

The cool light (I love it, isn't it the bomb) came from our local Z Gallerie store. Total impulse buy.

The outdoor curtains & curtain rods are from Pottery Barn that they have now. I bought them online. Easy to isntall. Learned to use a drill while putting them up! It's the outdoor grommet curtain & outdoor rods (size extra long). I used the pole top ones that are the same color inside (those are discontinued). They wipe right clean & match the PB outdoor cushions & umbrellas I got.

I had the best time doing the shopping for accessories the day we finished. It was like an episode of Extreme Home Makeover... I had to hurry and finish it all before our guest arrived, so i did a whirlwind run tour of local shops including Pottery Barn, Z Gallerie, Pier One, etc where I got it all. I had browsed online a lot and kind of knew what I wanted. It's a lot more funky than my normal traditional tastes with antiques and such which made it even more fun b/c it was a lot less expensive to make over. Still need to art on the walls & do the floors but, it's almost there.

Other sources for furniture & accessories were:

Barstools - online www.westelm.com

Futon frame & cover - www.westelm.com

Throw Pillows on Futon - Pottery Barn

High back chairs - local Z Gallerie (talked them into selling me the floor models since they were discontinued)

The larger lamp - Z Gallerie (also a floor model which was damaged & I got a discount)

Rug - Pottery Barn

Candle lantern - Pottery Barn

Occasional Chair - Pier One

Fruit Tray - Z Gallerie

Bathroom which I don't think I showed has a new vanity from Lowe's that was featured in BH&G magazine & looks a lot like the 4X more expensive one that Pottery Barn has.

{{gwi:1814162}}