Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_gee

Backsplash options?

Kelly.Gee
10 years ago

Okay...I have to say I am impressed by the amount of activity on this forum so here goes nothing...

We just completed a 4 month gut job/renovation of our kitchen but we have stalled at the backsplash...we are concerned about water damage and grease around the range. But we love the simplicity that no backsplash gives.

I had bought subway tile and planned on going only as high as the cabinets. But then we balked...

There's a link to my blog that gives more pics

Honestly I'd love for you to throw out any and all ideas/suggestions...pics...have at it.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: I'll Tell You Later, Betty

Comments (6)

• chinchette
    10 years ago

If you just want protection from splashes, you could put up clear glass. I see what you mean about wanting to keep it simple. Alternatively, you could paint that section same color but in a semi-gloss, so that it is easy to wipe off.

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

look at the tile that mimics a wood grain-something strong but subtle like that and not just the default to white subway. the kitchen is broken up into 3 sections so something on that backsplash area in all 3 sections will anchor the look..the paint color altho interesting, isn't really enough with all the plain white to keep it aesthetically appealing for the long haul.....I think you want a little something special :another material or texture ....porcelain or that wood look tile[sorry I don't know who makes it but i have seen it]-search around your tile supply stores.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Trailrunner has spoken of her backsplash holding up very well with just paint. Don't know what paint you used but I just looked it up and she used BM Regal Matte 7 years ago.

BM Aura is another good option, 100% acrylic which is even more durable.

Did you get a really good clean seam at counter to wall? That should be caulked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trailrunner's backsplash

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

I normally don't like the 4" granite backsplash, but when I look at your kitchen I feel like it needs it. Here's an example where it looks fabulous:

{{!gwi}}

• Kelly.Gee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!
    The paint was a SW acrylic satin.

Our seam counter to wall is good along the sink but we have a small gap towards the corner. We are definitely sealing it with a bead of clear silicone caulk.

I agree, mpagmom, about the 4" backsplash and had emphatically told the granite folks no when asked. Had my heart set on a tile backsplash. But then...so now it is too late to get it for they can't match the granite any longer (so they say). Anyway, the originally drilled the faucet hole so close to the wall I don't even know if it would fit...grrr.

I did go to a tile center near my work yesterday and showed a designer my pics. She suggested white subway tile only up to the bottom of the window sill...full coverage on the range wall and the wall beside the fridge and nothing with the little coffee station.

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

too much white-an inbetween shade is needed...when you look at a bright blue sky with unobstructed sunlight shining down, one naturally likes it but seeks the softening from tree canopy/shade/vegetation. Your space will be grating with all white and white backsplash and the color on walls. the backsplash is the perfect place for a softer tone for transition so you can live with this day to day. good luck for your final phase....but go pick a beautiful expensive tile to actually make all the white look nice/ not layering more white into it.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz