Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivertwistkitchen

Lemon Squares- are they supposed to be gooey?

olivertwistkitchen
11 years ago

I just made them from a cooking light recipe. I never had them before. They taste good but is the lemon layer supposed to be mushy or did I undercook them? (I hope not-just fed them to the kids!)

Sorry, I know it's not REALLY a kitchen question. :)

Comments (6)

• KBH
    11 years ago

My lemon squares have a cookie crust and an almost jello-like lemon top. Love lemon squares.

• stacieann63
    11 years ago

They can be a bit gooey, especially if they are still warm.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

If it oozes out then it might be too gooey. If should be "creamy" but solidified. sometimes I lower the temp and cook a bit longer if the middle is still too jelly like.

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not, not oozy. I guess I got it right. Thanks!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

While we are talking about lemon squares....I made a recipe that was for Meyer lemons I found on Pinterest. Certainly not a light and healthy version.

Meyer Lemon Macadamia Nut Tart
    YIELD: 1 9-inch or 4-by-15-inch tart
    ingredients:
    For Crust:
    1/2 cup macadamia nuts
    1 cup flour
    1/3 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
    1 tablespoon cold water

For Filling:
    7 large egg yolks
    2 large eggs
    1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
    1/2 cup grated fresh Meyer lemon zest (from 4 to 5 lemons)
    2/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice (from 4 to 5 lemons)
    Pinch salt
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
    3 tablespoons heavy cream, chilled

directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

To prepare the crust, place macadamia nuts in the bowl of a food processor; pulse until finely ground. Add flour and sugar and pulse until combined. Sprinkle cubes of butter over top. Pulse until just combined; drizzle in water and pulse one or two more times or until evenly moistened. Dough will be crumbly, but should come together when pinched with your fingers.

Dump dough into a 9-inch-round or 4-by-15-inch rectangle tart pan with removable bottom. Firmly press dough into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes or until edges are lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly while you prepare the filling.

In a medium saucepan, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks. Whisk in the sugar until combined, followed by the lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt. Add the butter and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly and reaches 170 degrees, about 5 minutes. Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and into a heat-proof bowl; stir in the heavy cream.

Pour the filling mixture into the warm tart shell. Place on a baking sheet and bake until the filling is shiny and opaque and the center jiggles slightly when shaken, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely to room temperature, about 1 1/2 hours, then refrigerate until ready to serve.

Here is a link that might be useful: source for photo and recipe

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

OMG get that lemon away from the beautiful marble!

:)

What a beautiful photo though. Every detail is delicious.