Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maries1120

Sink - stainless or Silgranit

maries1120
12 years ago

First post and first kitchen remodel. I am going crazy with all the decisions. Cabinets are a light maple with a glaze. Hardware is ORB but a very simple, sleek design. Appliances will be stainless. Contertop was easy - I fell in love with Cambria Canterbury. Sink is next - either an Elkay e-dock stainless or Blanco Silgranit. But if Silgranit - what color?

Any advice on the sink decision? Thanks.

Comments (20)

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

With Canterbury - Cafe brown!
    I almost went with CB but decided on Buckingham.

• eriepatch
    12 years ago

I just received my Blanco Diamond Silgranit II yesterday.
    I ordered the Grey Metallic and I like the way it looks.
    My granite (Scotch) has grey in it so I think it will
    work well. My friend got the Cafe Brown. I bet either would look good with your Cambria. She said her daughter got one of the light ones and she thinks it looks "Plasticky"
    I personally don't like SS sinks so I decided to go with the Blanco.

• carnivore
    12 years ago

On the subject of Silgranit sinks, can anyone post a picture of theirs top-mounted in a black granite (or similar) countertop?

• maries1120
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. Here is the Cambria Canterbury:
    http://www.cambriausa.com/our-collection/dream-board/?colorID=Canterbury

It has all the colors in it - brown, black, gray and love the metallic specks.

Can you use a garbage disposal with Silgranit?

• badgergal
    12 years ago

Yes you can use a garbage disposal with a silgranite sink. I have dark countertops and went with the anthracite color so that the sink would blend in with the counter. The Cambria Canterbury is beautiful. I would go probably go with the cafe brown if it were mine. Here is a picture of the blanco Performa Medium 1 3/4 sink. I don't have a separate prep sink and like having the divided sink. Notice also that this sink has a lower divide but still high enough to hold enough water in both sides if needed.
    {{!gwi}}

• maries1120
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Would it look OK to have the stainless finish faucet with the Cafe Brown (undermount) sink? I am so bad at visualizing which makes all these decisions so much harder for me.

Thanks.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

It would look just fine with a stainless finish faucet. I would suggest that you use a stainless drain/strainer too not the color coordinated ones that are available

• namarie
    12 years ago

Another advocate for Silgranit here. I've just had mine for a month in metallic gray. We chose metallic gray both because of the colors in our granite and, primarily, to coordinate with our stainless appliances. We got the single bowl, which I've never had before and was nervous about converting to, but I absolutely love it. Friends who've seen my kitchen since the new counters came in absolutely covet the sink. I love not having to worry about water spots or scratching up the sink. It's only a month old, but I have a feeling it is going to look the same way it does today for a very long time. I too think the cafe brown would look nice with the counter you have chosen.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Maries - I totally understand.
    I went with antique brass for my faucet with Cambria Buckingham (a bit lighter than the Canterbury)
    I was tempted to get the truffle sink but DM said - ugly, so did go with the Cafe Brown.

I ordered a solid brass drainer/strainer to match - I agree - don't use the color coordinated version for the Silgranit. So the strainer matches my faucet.

Let us know your decision :-)

Also - on Silgranit - how do all of the current Silgranit users dump hot pasta water in the sink?
    My gut would be to run hot water first but KD says to run cold water first?

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

I think truffle silgranit would be perfect!!!

I am ordering it to go with my Caesarstone Organic White island countertop and Pebble Caesarstone on perimeter.

Here it is installed (not my kitchen):

• maries1120
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had to work today but got out early enough to stop somewhere that had the Silgranit colors that I could see in person. I agree the brown does look nice. Now to convince the Hubby since this is all new to him. Although I think the Silgranit is a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the Elkay stainless which could have him jumping for joy right on to that bandwagon.

But is there a concern with how water being poured in the sink? I hard boil eggs all the time and am dumping the water in the sink. Right now we have a well worn white cast iron one.

• j_bird
    12 years ago

We have the same sink as badgergal in the metallic grey color. LOVE it! Goes beautifully with our super white quartzite. We've had it about a month now, and DH shows it no mercy. Boiling water is no problem at all. So easy to keep clean and the low divide is nice.

• alwaysfixin
    12 years ago

Another vote for Silgranit. We have the anthracite, and when we were looking we definitely preferred the anthracite and cafe brown over the lighter colors. The sink is a breeze to clean and shows nothing, not even red wine or spaghetti sauce. Speaking of spaghetti, we dump boiling water in the Silgranit sink all the time. Silgranit is heat proof to 500 degrees. We've had the sink a year and a half and it looks like the day it was installed.

I think people have been mentioning the sink's drain flange. If you are installing a disposal you use the disposal's flange.

One important advice is to check the sink before installation for cracks. The sink will not crack after installation. Any reports of cracking have been in transit, typically from poor packing from poor sellers. Check the sink with a flashlight before installation. After installation you won't have any problems. We bought ours from Homeandstone as recommended on this forum, and were very pleased with their service and packing.

BTW, we have the Super Single - just love it never going back to a double bowl. Also we are happy not to have stainless' scratches and water marks.

• mizmom
    12 years ago

We have had a Silgranit sink for over 5 years and it looks the same as it did when we had it installed. There are no visible scratches or chips and we are not careful washing heavy pots and pans. I have dumped many a pot of boiling water in the sink with no problems. I am more worried about the PVC pipes than the sink so I usually run some water when I empty the pasta water. Sometimes I forget though. I love the truffle color I see in the photo above. If we ever redo the kitchen, I will go with a lighter counter and sink. We have very dark almost black granite counters and the sink is anthracite (black). Even with undercabinet lighting and and the sink under a window, the black sucks the light out of the room. I do have to remind myself to wash the sink out daily because I can't tell when it's dirty. I will never go back to a stainless sink(too much maintenance).

• weimom
    12 years ago

Marie,
    I am getting Cambria Canterbury also and chose the anthracite Silgranit sink. I looked at truffle and cafe brown also and I think that any of the 3 would look nice. The day I was choosing sinks there was another couple there that had Canterbury and they went with anthracite too.. I will have a stainless sink in my laundry room where I will also have Canterbury so I guess I will have one of each. I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. I just love the way the Silgranit looks and feels.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

I talked to a KD in Pennsylvania and he cracked 2 silgranit sinks with hot water, so made me a bit nervous. I already ordered the sink so just want to make sure I don't have a problem.
    He said Blanco replaced without a problem - I just want to avoid the problem.
    My sink is in the garage and to be installed in T-2 weeks.
    I will get a flashlight and check it out.
    I suspect the answer is - if there are cracks, they will expand.
    In any case, I think I will be very happy with the sink!

• peonybush
    12 years ago

I'm on the Silgranite side. Cascade in metallic grey. Love it. Have Cambria New Quay countertops.
    No issues with pouring boiling water in the sink.
    Ordered mine online from Amazon--arrived in perfect condition. Well packed in molded styrofoam.

• maries1120
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just picked up some Consumer Report Kitchen mag today and of course they are dissing stone sinks although they didn't really say why. And honestly I sometimes am not so sure about the impartiality and reliabilit of CR info anymore.

Thanks for all the help. We'll take our 12x12 sample of Cambria with us to the showroom but leaning toward the Cafe Brown. I mentioned it to DH when we were out to breakfast. The sentence "and it is cheaper" always makes his hearing improve. :)

• janjan212
    12 years ago

That Cambria is beautiful! I hope you post pictures when everything is installed. I hunted down that very countertop for our little update, but it was just too expensive for our budget. If we were here for the long haul, I would have probably gone for it. Turns out I *think* we found a deal on a couple remaining slabs of Emperor Brown granite that is marked down enough to consider. We plan on using a Blanco Silgranite sink too. Our problem is the corner sink cabinet limits the sink size to about 30" and we'd have to use a equal bowl Precis model. I'd love to consider a single bowl, but have not found one so far in that size. I am finding it difficult to find a showroom that has all these colors on display too! Blanco has a new biscotti color that we saw in a kitchen display that was beautiful.

• tubalubs
    9 years ago

J_bird, I'm curious about your metallic grey sink and white quartz counters. We are doing white quartz counters as well, we have stainless appliances, white cabinets and a butcher block island. I'm debating on the metallic grey sink or should I go with stainless to compliment the appliances. Will the metallic grey blend well enough with the appliances? Or should I do a white sink? Just curious on your thoughts.

Sorry to hijack ðÂÂÂ

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz