Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melkel31

should we get a brick backsplash?

melkel31
10 years ago

remodeling and trying to decide if it is a wise choice to go with a brick backsplash or not?? I LOVE the look but wondering if it will be a nightmare to clean, esp. behind the range- btw our range is a slide in so no backsplash on it... thoughts??

Comments (19)

• andreak100
    10 years ago

I love the look of brick walls, but I imagine making it into a backsplash and trying to clean it to be a nightmare. I'd say that I would pass on doing that unless you don't cook.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

I can't see it being all that different from some of the tumbled travertine or stacked quartz, etc., I see people using. Those surfaces are also rough and hard to clean.

I think you would have to decide if you are willing to put in the extra work to clean it when necessary, or go with something like a short stainless steel backsplash just above the range and brick higher up.

Brick would look amazing in your design preference, though. I looove brick myself, and would have used it if it worked in my kitchen.

• eam44
    10 years ago

Hmmm.... Would you consider glazed thin brick a la Fireclay Tile?

Unglazed brick would be much more porous than a sealed marble or stone, and would stain, show oil marks, etc...

This post was edited by EAM44 on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 1:23

• melkel31
    Original Author
    10 years ago

interesting, but I really want that vintage look of real brick- do you think it would look nice to have the brick everywhere except above the range OR have the brick there but cover tastefully with a pretty stainless decorative backsplash??

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

What if you did something like the replica punched tin in a stainless or "raw" finish in addition to the brick over your range? It seems as though the two tend to play together really well.

eta: something like this, but in whatever finish or pattern might strike your fancy: http://americantinceilings.com/colors/pattern-3.html?cpao=111&cpca=PLA%20&cpag=%5BPattern_3_backsplash%5D&gclid=CIi768vP7L0CFa07MgodH0cAag

This post was edited by greenhaven on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 9:10

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

How about painting a (faux) brick backsplash?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

I am unable to think of a much worse choice for a backsplash.

• User
    10 years ago

Pretty 1970's. Remember Z-brick? Evidently, it's still sold. (To the horror of the many who had to rip that gross greasy fake mess out the first time!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Z brick

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Oah, that is nasty!!!!

• xc60
    10 years ago

I really love the pics nosoccermom posted. I would do it no problem and even considered it for our kitchen. Now I'm thinking of where else I can use brick in my home, hmmmm.....

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Anywhere and everywhere!

• melkel31
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks to some of you for your insight. The Z-brick isn't at all the look i am going for... There are VERY tasteful brick backsplashes and walls out there now- I am into the rustic/historical brick look- not the old fashioned red/pink brick look. My original ? was if anyone has experience and can it be cleaned easily. I know the look I want just nervous about for ex. spaghetti sauce splashing on it and getting on the grout forever!! ;)

• crl_
    10 years ago

I know nothing about bricks in an interior use. But I wonder if you can get your hands on some samples and see what happens if you splash grease or spaghetti sauce on them?

• dedtired
    10 years ago

This house had a z-brick backsplash when I moved in. It was totally gross, especially over the stove where it got greasy. Don't do it.

• melkel31
    Original Author
    10 years ago

that's a great idea crl! I will try to do that

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

I saw a vinyl wallpaper that was very textured just like brick and then you could paint it. Might be a nice option you could poly it and then you could clean it easily.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I like nosoccermom's photos too :)

• melkel31
    Original Author
    10 years ago

we decided to go with travertine- looks just like the rustic brick/stone look we love! The tile guy said as long as it's sealed we will have no problems cleaning it too so that's a bonus! he gave us the idea to add lighting under the cabinets to help lighten the backsplash bc it is also dark (grays/natural rock colors) thanks for the tips everyone. :)

• crl_
    10 years ago

Glad you found a solution you are happy with!