Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary1218_gw

Undercabinet lighting for my new kitchen

mary1218
12 years ago

We are in the planning stages of our new kitchen remodel. We are up to under cabinet lighting. Any suggestions?? Thanks so much for the help.

Comments (11)

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

Area of the country can influence the responses, due to code requirements.

• polie
    12 years ago

Definitely post your question on the GW Lighting forum. There's an expert there (davidtay) who is extremely helpful.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Many, including me, like LED lighting. Your two big decisions there are low-voltage vs. direct-wire, and dimmable vs. non.

(I chose Philips eW Profile direct-wire dimmable.)

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Mary - we are putting LED light bars UC. See post about hockey puck LEDs that burned a cabinet - turned on before install (not mine)

I looked at tape, puck and light bars and liked the bars best.

We are putting in dimmable GM light bars - there are cheaper models but I liked how they looked and responded.

Davidtay responds a lot on the lighting post.

• ChefAddict
    12 years ago

So out of all the LED options..

i gotta ask.. who's the best? most used around here?

I to am looking at LED, and can't decide who to go with, who to trust "on there data and info on their LED kits"

I need Pucks, and under cabinets, and above cabinet lighting..

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

The JUNO T-12 system employs the same track for both their LED and Xenon, so the difference is the drivers/transformers and the class of the dimmers.

• j_bird
    12 years ago

We installed WAC Lighting InvisiLED strips. We wanted something super low profile so we wouldn't have to alter our existing cabs to hide our lights. We're very happy with the color and the amount of light they put out. Definitely check the lighting forum though, so many helpful threads and people.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

We are going with GM lighting 3000K dimmable - hopefully installed within the week.

• lalithar
    12 years ago

In California, we have title 24 issues. We are doing CSL low voltage LEDS.. Dimmable and mounted near the front edge and the light is angled back to light up near the back.

• slonewby
    12 years ago

In spite of my singed cabinet problem (that was completely my fault...if you didn't read the post, my puck lights were not installed yet and resting on the interior floor of a cabinet and singed the cabinet a bit) I still LOVE the puck lights. I think it must be a personal preference but I don't care for rope, tape or bars. I think I will like LED if and when they can get them to shine like the pucks~ I do love my recessed LEDs though! Anyway, pucks do get warmer than other lights but, if installed correctly (proper size box, not mounted in ceiling, correct distance from wall, etc they don't seem to cause a problem) I love mine!

• Justin1950
    12 years ago