Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grout haze help!!!!!!!

Posted by halfwaythere (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 19:24

Hi GWers! It has been a while since I posted. Been fighting with my contractor to wrap this b!+ch up. It has been a nightmare with him not showing up. So bad in fact we took a few projects away from him, one being the backsplash. I've tiled before so I figured I'd do it it myself. It came out beautiful if I do say so myself. :) Problem is, I went well beyond the recommended 2 hours to wipe off the haze and its really stuck on there! Ran out to home depot for 1 thing and well you know how that goes. Ended up browsing like I had all the time in the world. 3 1/2 hours later its a hazy mess. I can gently scrub and buff each individual tile and it comes back but its killing my back! Does anyone know of a better way, a chemical or a solution perhaps? Thanks so much. The tile is a pineapple onyx. Pics to follow...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grout haze help!!!!!!!

Before grout... see the mirror-like sparkle?

o

After grout and much scrubbing :(

o

This section is half grouted and half ungrouted so you can see how dull it is.

o

There are acid cleaners you can use. I'm sure someone here knows but you can also check over at John Bridge Tile Forum. I think they say start with a mild vinegar. Forget if it's straight up or diluted. (applicable only to other stones and tile)

Did you seal the onyx first? Doesn't that have little cracks in it, that is, some porous areas?

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 20:49

o

DO NOT use an acid based cleaner!! you will etch the hell out of it and it will be even worse!!!!

o

Yes, check with a professional first before doing anything! I was just trying to offer some initial reassurance.

You might have to resort to having it polished again.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 20:55

o

Thanks for your help. I went over to that forum you mentioned and it looks like they recommend using diluted white vinegar and a gentle scrubbing pad. I tried it and it worked! The sparkle is back. :) happy here!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here