Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtkaybean

mosiac border design in back of range-is it outdated?

jtkaybean
13 years ago

so, thanks to everyone on here we decided to go with the crackle rizi subway tiles.

i'm contemplating do some type of rectangular design with this mosiac, in back of the range. do you think the mosiac glass tiles are on the way out, and it will look dated very fast?

subway tile we are going with

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• jtkaybean
    Original Author
    13 years ago

here is the design we'd do in back of the range.

only the border would have a couple layers of the glass mosiac tiles though.

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by san francisco architect Mahoney Architects & Interiors

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

No, I don't think it's outdated, especially if you're just using the glass mosaics as a border. I have read on several sites that glass mosaics overall are on their way out, but I still like them anyway.

• jtkaybean
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks!

i kind of like this one a little better

less busy, but ties in with our cabinet color very nicely.

hard to see but granite has some light tan mica sparkly bits in it, matches this glass tile very well!

here are our cabinets

• jtkaybean
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, about to place our order and now getting cold feet lol.

Do you think the subway with the mosiac, goes with my cabinets/ granite?

• User
    13 years ago

I think it will look fantastic, and I think it is not dated. ( at least in my opinion it's a classic.) I have something similar to the second one you show for accents and of course i think it's gorgeous - that's why I have it. I did want to mention that in the wall it still looks great but has less of the depth or dimension that you see. (mine is also a darker blue/grey so that might hafve something to do with it?)
    Anyway I think whichever combo you choose will look great~ you have already made great choices. Relax and enjoy

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

I think both options will look fabulous too! I am not as in love with mosaics as I used to be, but I think how you're going to use them will look great!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I like the second tiles better because they are a larger format, have better sparkle and are not as multi colored/busy, because your counter is busy (in a good way).
    They also coordinate better with the Rizi tiles.

• teachjr
    13 years ago

I have to admit that I am not a big fan of mosaics. Having admitted that, the colors you chose are lovely. Have you considered how the mosaic inset would draw the eye's attention when you enter the room? When I look at your kitchen, my eyes were immediately attracted to the big beautiful windows and views. I'm wondering how this inset would compete with the view? Hmmm, perhaps simplicity on the backsplash might work the best.....

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I'm not a fan of the little 1"x1"glass mosaics either. And I'm partial to a cleaner backsplash. I think those first mosaics would draw the eye to that spot. Why do you want to do that? I never quite understood why people want to draw attention to wall behind the range. I know it can be a big blank area, but still........

• jtkaybean
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmmmm...
    I can see going with a plain backslash , as a few of you suggested, If i had a white cabinets. I haven't found too many wood kitchens with just the rixi tiles.

My tile designer suggested the mosaic (1st pic) so it would help tie in the wood cabinets. I'm not putting up too many of the mosaics, just a thin border. Do you think that would still be too busy?
    I just can't make a decision on this!

• ironcook
    13 years ago

hi jillsee,

do you see your backsplash as being a focal point or "accessory"?

whether they are in or out doesn't matter if you want that spot in your kitchen to make you smile every time you walk in your kitchen.

you've probably seen doonie's lovely backsplash. i think it makes her very happy, regardless if anyone says this or that is in or out.

so maybe that will help guide your decision in how much bling to put into it, or how simple you want to keep it.

glad you decided on the crackle subways, though. whether they are in fashion or not in the future won't really matter, imho, because they are so pretty. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: doonie's handmade tile backsplash

• jtkaybean
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for posting that ironcook...i LOVE her backsplash!

i'm thinking now of using the tile in the second pic.

less busy huh?