Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishymom

Backsplash opinions needed

fishymom
10 years ago

I got my Fireclay samples and there are two that I really like. My question is this, would you choose a tile that matches the wall cabinets? Or would you go with the warmer camel paint color? I have matte samples in both colors and my family is divided on which to choose. Thank you!

Wall Cabinets:

The green walls on the left are now the same color as the backsplash:

Close up of granite:

Comments (13)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I would play off the counter or walls.
    I think it will be too matchy off the cabinets.
    BTW beautiful cabs!

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

If you match the wall cabinets with the tile, you will have more flexibility with future wall colors.

If you match the wall color, every wall color you may choose from now on will have to work with upper cabinets, lower cabinets backsplash and counter. There is one more fixed color/finish in the mix.

There isn't a correct answer, but it you like to change wall paint colors, it may be best to match the tile to the upper cabinet.

• fishymom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks and good point ineffablespace. We don't change wall colors often,about every 10 years, but matching the cabinets would definitely offer more options. Both the wall color and the cabinet color are in the granite. The tile that is a close match for the cabinets has a warmer undertone than the cabinets, but I really like the way it works with them. My husband likes the camel tile that matches the wall color, not surprising since he likes warm colors. It also doesn't hurt that it is significantly cheaper! I will take pictures of all the samples in the daylight tomorrow.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

What ineffable says. Match it to what's the most permanent.

• fishymom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some daytime photos of the samples:

This is a close-up of the tiles in natural daylight with trim pieces from our cabinets. The tile colors are Camel, Milky Way, Butter Cream, Biscuit for the top row and Fawn on the bottom.

This is a photo taken with flash bit it gives a truer representation of the wall color. The sample on the right is out, it's a beige but too white. The one to the left is the Matte Camel and the middle is the Matte fawn, which looks a little pink because of the flash but in real life it does not read pink at all.

I really want to get this backsplash nailed down, my husband is driving me crazy about it. We went for years without a backsplash in our last house because I wouldn't settle and he wouldn't pay, lol! This go around, it is just a matter of making the right choice, although he is still easily swayed by saving a few dollars.

• fishymom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I talked to the Fireclay rep and she is going to send me a couple more samples, specifically Malt, which I think will work well. It looks to be a little darker than the Biscuit and a little browner than the Fawn. Sjhockeyfan was kind enough to take a picture of a sample of the Malt for me, thanks again!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Love your cabinets and the idea of Fireclay (big fan here!). I think what looks best is something neutral. I like the butter cream best, so far.

I tried to make the malt work in my home but couldn't:

Malt:

Milky Way:

Butter Cream:

Tarragon:

Smoky Quartz:

Good luck!

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

I think I like the camel sofar, not as much in the first picts you posted, but I did like it propped up against the wall. Looking forward to your other samples.

• romy718
    10 years ago

In the mockups, the Smokey Quartz looks great & I also like the Tarragon. In your pics, the two larger pieces (Matte Camel & Matte Fawn) look off. It 's really hard to capture the true colors in a picture so what I am seeing is probably not what it looks like IRL. I wouldn't match the wall color. I would pick something that accentuates the gorgeous color of your upper cabinets.
    Keep looking, you'll find it.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

IMHO, I think:
    -the Malt is too grey
    -the Milky Way and Butter Cream too white
    -the Smoky quartz too brown

To me, the Tarragon goes well with the cabinets and the countertop...complimenting them, not competing with them.

• fishymom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks oldbat2be for the mock-ups! I like the Tarragon, need to get a sample of that. It is unfortunate that Fireclay doesn't have anybody selling in the South Florida area, I would drive to Miami to see the colors in real life. Of the lighter colors, which I am leaning towards, Milky Way looks the best in our setting. Butter Cream looks quite yellow and Biscuit looks grayish. I also still like Fawn, which is a little darker. Although our house has a lot of natural light, because the kitchen is in the center of the house, it doesn't get as much natural light as other areas and all these colors look so different under the kitchen lights. My husband really likes Milky Way, which is slightly lighter than the wall cabinets.

Milky Way with flash, this is what it looks like with kitchen lighting:

Milky Way and Fawn no flash:

The Fawn tile looks a little gray in the photo, but it is more brown in real life.

This post was edited by fishymom on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 11:09

• hyjenist
    10 years ago

Another vote for tarragon. I'm very interested in your final decision. We are just about to the point of backsplash and also have a two toned kitchen. Ordered my fireclay samples yesterday! YEAH.
    Please post your next round of samples!

• mjocean
    10 years ago

Hi,
    I think I like the tarragon, too. However, I know sometimes the real color doesn't show on the screen image.
    MJ

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert