Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctnewbie2009

warm white counters/cherry island. Soapstone on all, or soap on

ctnewbie2009
15 years ago

perimeters and carrera on the cherry? Think I'd prefer one uniform look of all soapstone, but wanted to hear thoughts...thanks!

Comments (9)

• judydel
    15 years ago

I love the look of soapstone on warm white cabinets with carrera on a cherry island! Several people on GW have posted beautiful pictures of just that.

I would do it too except I decided I'd rather have wood on my small
    island to be used as a cutting board.

Either way you go . . . all soapstone or soapstone and carerra . . . it will be BEAUTIFUL IMO.

• worldmom
    15 years ago

I really don't think you can go wrong with either, but personally, I prefer kitchens that have more than one type of counter surface. Ours will have white cabs with soapstone, and the island will be dark stain with a marble top, FWIW. :o)

• ctnewbie2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you both so much. Going to search and see what pix I can find.

• judydel
    15 years ago

Here's a few photos that may be helpful from my inspiration file.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

Another vote for mixing the surfaces. As others have said, it will look great with just soapstone, but having another element that doesn't clash but rather complements, adds a lot of depth.

Eliz

• ctnewbie2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks everyone! I really have no vision and am nervous about people not knowing where to look first: different color cabs/island; different countertop...

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I think, though, that the combination is almost getting 'expected,' which is not something I like to do. I think your own statement is very important:

Think I'd prefer one uniform look of all soapstone

If you'd prefer the soapstone everywhere, do what you will like! As Worldmom said, you can't lose either way. Both are wonderful and gorgeous materials.

• elsieleslie
    15 years ago

I'm interested in your decision--since I'm debating the similar, but opposite thing myself. My perimeter cabinets are beaded inset cherry with clear finish and calacatta marble. I can't decide if I want the island to be painted BM mayonnaise with soapstone or with the marble again. Some perimeter areas will be painted too. I'm doing butcher block flanking my range. I'm just curious as to what you decided and why, hoping it'll help me! Thanks!

• willowdecor
    15 years ago

Soapstone is so beautiful you can t wrong. I have a large but strangely cut kitchen and I wanted to do two different surfaces. In the end I decided to just go with all soapstone to keep the cohesiveness of the room. Depending on how your space lays out this may be a determining factor. My "island" cut the room in two and changing the counter would have made it look choppy. I love my result.

Here is a link that might be useful: Willow's Kitchen