Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charu123_gw

Thoughts on mixing metal finishes

Charu123
11 years ago

HI

I am in a dilemma regarding mixing different metal finishes in the kitchen. In process of remodeling kitchen. Let me describe the new look:
1) cabinets will be all a dark espresso color (Cherry Wood) in a shaker style
2) Counter is a cream colored Granite with specs of brown called Colonial Cream
3) getting a 2 and quarter mietered edge on the granite
4) Appliances are all stainless steel- Stainless steel apron sink, thermador gas range and the rest of appliances GE Profile
The dilemma I have is that while Brushed satin faucet and pot filler are the logical and obvious choices- I really like the look of the oil rubbed bronze and I think it will really pop against the list cream colored counters. And I am eager for a change and embrace OR Broze. So here are my questions:
1) Should I go for OR Bronze for kitchen faucet and pot filler?
2) what about cabinet hardware? I realize OR Bronze will blend with the dark cabinets. So would it be ok to do brushed nickle on cabinets?
3) I am having a hard time getting a good kitchen faucet in OR Bronze. Would it be ok to have pot filler which is OR Bronze and Faucet which is brushed nickle?

Thanks for any advise or pictures

Comments (7)

• meek95
    11 years ago

I had always wanted ORB for bath fixtures until I stayed in a vacation home. It had a bathroom faucet in ORB which had awful white calcium deposits on it (the house isn't that old either).

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

My choices are much like yours, only reversed. The counter is dark, floor and ceiling white, cabinets honey, appliances stainless, and I have chosen the oiled bronze for the door pulls and nobs. The faucet will be stainless for no reason other than I like it. I thought the oiled bronze will pick up the chocolate in the counters, and the stainless will pick up the decoration in the backsplash strip.

This post was edited by desertdance on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 10:17

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

I don't like mixing metals. I don't really consider the appliance a metal, even though they're SS - but I don't have SS appliances. My BIL just built a new kitchen. Cream with espresso rub cabs, brown and cream granite, SS appliances and ORB faucets, hardware and lighting. It looks pretty and all goes together. BUT, their cabinets are light. I understand your dilemma with dark cabs. Can you hold ORB against the cabs and see how it looks? The brushed nickel IMHO seems more like it goes with the grays and blues and cooler colors. In any event, since you asked our opinion, I would never get a different color faucet and pot filler. I think those should definitely match.

• julie94062
    11 years ago

We have SS appliances, sink, faucet, dark cherry cabs, Typhoon Bordeaux granite, ORB pulls on the cabinets. I think the ORB works fine, because the pulls don't have the "coppery" first layer showing through.The pulls are RH and have more of a dark steel colored base (not the actual material, but the color).

But for the family room wet bar (5 ft from the kitchen), I went with ORB faucet and dark (brown) copper sink so that it wouldn't look so kitchen-y.

• julie94062
    11 years ago

Hi again, posted that without quite finishing. Sorry!

As far as the ORB faucet, my first reaction is that it should match the sink (stainless apron), but upon further reflection, I think it could work as long as the styles go together.

It might be interesting to start a new thread about just the stainless sink and ORB faucet to see if anyone has done it and has photos. I did a quick search but couldn't find any. Is your apron sink contemporary or farmhouse style?

• Holly- Kay
    11 years ago

My watersone faucet is in the American Bronze finish which has an antique copper type look to it. I really would like my knobs and pulls to be a bit on the coppper side. I am not sure that the copper knob would look good with the wheaten finish on the cabs. I so wish I could see all of them IRL so I can make a good decision. I really didn't like the thought of stainless appliances because I didn't want to use a cool finish knob on my cabs but decided stainless was a neutral.