Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpmg46

Very modest kitchen reno...almost finished

mpmg46
12 years ago

I have popped on here every once in a while, to ogle and be inspired! Our own remodel isn't anything compared to what you all have achieved, so I'm slightly embarrassed to even post our pictures of what we have done so far, but b/c I've visited and have asked questions and all of you have been so gracious, I wanted to say thank you.

Here is what the kitchen looked like originally:

{{!gwi}}

We tore out the wall (with sink/dishwasher) b/w the kitchen and morning room. Our goal was to make one cohesive room that would be beneficial to our family for everyday use (having an eat in island, for the kids to do homework/eat snacks, etc), as well as a better space for entertaining family and friends. The big open area (with the hideous brass light hanging down) was an eat in kitchen deemed by the builder, but it was too small for a table, yet a wide open space that wasn't useful at all. So we wanted to utilize that space.

The floor is a 4 3/4 in handscraped Distressed Old World Oak

The cabinets were repainted SW Snowfall White (and we had a few new cabinets built as well) The cabinets on this side of the island haven't still need to be painted.

The counter top is Fiesta Gold Granite (middle of the road)

We added under and over cabinet lighting, as well as crown molding and light rail to finish the cabinets off.

I have kept the original knobs (they aren't all back on yet!), but will change them out soon.

I still need to choose light fixtures for over the island. I would love pendants, but don't know how many to use, or if we even should use pendant. Any suggestions? The thing is that they need to be centered on the island, but I don't know if they will look ok, since there is the big drop in the ceiling in between the two rooms.

I plan to replace the kitchen table and ceiling fan, and the white appliances when we have the money again.

I originally wanted to take the rest of that wall down--at the end of the cabs on the right, but it's a structural wall, and for a house that we will probably only be in for the next 10 years, it wasn't worth it to pay that kind of $$ to do so. I know it would have looked better with it down though...

Other than those things, does it look ok? I dream of having a gorgeous kitchen someday, but on a budget and without tearing out walls or adding sq footage, did we do an alright job? I'm so worried that I made a huge mistake--that the island is too big or that we shouldn't have painted the cabinets.

Here is a pic...please don't be too harsh! Thank you to all of you who helped and gave answers to my questions over the last few months. I'm appreciative. Oh--and I know I still need bar stools. ;)

{{!gwi}}

Comments (77)

• hottois
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful!

You're not alone when expressing your feelings of "I'm slightly embarrassed to even post our pictures . . ." We're doing a "facelift" as well and, while I love and appreciate GW, it's easy to feel intimidated and a bit "less than" if you aren't either building a new house or gutting and completely remodeling with an end result (kitchen) that should be able to win awards.

Enjoy your new kitchen - you did a fantastic job!

• EATREALFOOD
    12 years ago

You did a great job! I love the wall color/white appliances/cabinet color. The island really finishes it too. As others stated I prefer the partial wall. I love the floor too. I considered that color, I thought it looked familiar. I put down LL 4 3/4 hand scraped cambridge oak(the darker one)in living room & bedrooms. I hope it wears well, or else you and I will be on hands and knees with a wood marker !

• houseful
    12 years ago

It's really beautiful! I love the dark wood floors with the white cabinets!

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Have you considered the pendants that screw into pot lights? I bought 3 for my kitchen and was floored by the transformation. Plus the far better light they provide. The quality was excellent. Lowes has them with a wide range of styles. Mine are from Improvements, although they don't sell the style now. They had a great sale going on at the time. Very easy to install. You can easily buy one locally and try it out. So simple to install, if they don't look right you could easily return.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pendant change

• fouramblues
    12 years ago

So beautiful, and the layout looks much more functional! It's all wonderful, but the flooring really makes the space. Congrats!

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Wow! Great reno. Congrats. Love the floor and countertop. Changing the direction of the island makes it seem move cohesive.

Do you have 2 colors of paint? Yellow on far kitchen wall and green in DR? Or is that just how it shows on my screen? If so, maybe you could consider bringing the green paint into the kitchen.

• modern_mom35
    12 years ago

your floors are GORGEOUS!!

• hlove
    12 years ago

I, too, think you did a fantastic job! You made really good decisions, imho. I also like the white appliances...but then again, I purposefully bought white for our kitchen. :)

I think the island looks like the perfect size and much more functional than the previous set up. The floors are beautiful. Congratulations and enjoy it thoroughly!

• tea4all
    12 years ago

I put up two windows on my computer so I could see your before and after pics side by side. Then I showed my husband and he scrutinized both pictures and said "Wow What a nice transformation!" You did a really fantastic job! It is so much more open, functional, warm and inviting. I can only hope that when we get to do our kitchen it will be as nice a transformation as yours. Enjoy!

• ratrem
    12 years ago

Looks great and I am super jealous of your large island. I wish we could have one, love it. You started off with great bones and it would have been foolish and money wasted to get rid of all that since it is in great working order. Looks great and seems like it will function wonderfully.

Great Job

• chintz22
    12 years ago

Your new kitchen is beautiful! I love your choices--the floor, the white, moving the island position. As someone who may be planning a reno for a very modest, small kitchen I really appreciate seeing what others have done on this end of the spectrum--thanks so much for posting!

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

Congratulations!!! What a pleasant, comfortable kitchen. I think a seagrass or wicker stool would tie in with your kitchen table and floors very nicely. Something like this:

or

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

It always amazes me how just one change (like opening up your wall even part-way) really opens up a room/space, and maximizes usage, storage, etc. Even if you hadn't made the other changes (which look wonderful, BTW!), that one change really appears to improve the "flow" in your kitchen.

We chose our KD in part, because he was the only one with whom we'd spoken who figured out how to include an island in our design (wasn't complicated either, which blew our minds that nobody else came up with a way to incorporate one). With the designs proposed by other KD's, we would have had a huge swath of unused, wasted space in the middle of the kitchen. Love how you were able to eliminate your wasted space, too!

• User
    12 years ago

Wow! Great job! I love how moving just that part of a wall opened up the whole space. Everything you did gave you more bang for your bucks. Very well done.

• iroll_gw
    12 years ago

Another vote for the wall the way it is. If it was gone, you'd have less storage space, and less countertop too, and continuous counter at that. It's still well open to the dining area for conversation, yet the kitchen is defined.
    It's a beautiful reno, and the white appliances look right at home.
    Are the cabinet doors and drawers on the end functional?

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness...I'm so flattered by all of the generous comments! Thank you, each of you!

@ dilly ny: The wall color is SW Macadamia (a tan color), in both of the rooms.

@annsch: Oooh! I love them! That's what I was thinking originally, but my husband is afraid that they won't hold up to kids. Any thoughts?

@CKGM: I haven't looked at IKEA yet. I'll have to hop onto their site today too see.

@ flwrs in co: Here is a close up of the granite: {{!gwi}}

@iroll: All of the cabinets are functional. Not necessarily from all sides, if that makes sense, but there is no dead space in the island, which was our goal. There are some false doors, but they are accessed from the doors on the opposite sides, if you know what I mean.

@emagineer: I've seen those lights. But we will have to add lights (deceptive in pic I guess). The current cans are not over far enough to add pendants from them. Great idea though!

@EATREALFOOD: I love your user name, btw...I try (not successfully always) to stay away from processed. It's easier in the summer when fruits/veges are fresh though! Yep,lol...we may be on our knees coloring our floors! Let's hope not!

@hosenemesis: I'm hoping to get away with 2 lights. Something like these maybe? What do you all think? I like the look, but don't know if they are functional--will they give off enough light for the kids to do homework at the island?
    {{!gwi}}

As for bar stools-here are a few ideas, but I can't envision them in the space: Suggestions?

or this:

or this one: comfy padding at least!
    http://images.hayneedle.com/mgen/master:PO2158.jpg

But I like the ones that annesch posted above too-don't know how they would hold up to kids though.

As for the table, I'd love a round, darker wood table, something like this maybe (more of a brown wood though):
    {{!gwi}}

But hubby is not wanting to spend money on a new table right now. He suggested since I like to paint (I painted the cabs--that perhaps I like to sand as well, and should get going on our rectangular table. Such a cute funny man he is!)

You all have made me glad that the wall stayed...thanks for the votes of confidence!

Now for the funny part...I'm only 5ft 1in...and realized that there is a spot in the middle of the island that I can't reach--to clean, or otherwise! I guess hubby will have a new job! lol

Any pendant lighting suggestions anyone?

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@CEFreeman: I painted them. They aren't 100% perfect if you are super close up. But the cabinets were only 7 1/2 years old and nothing was wrong with them, other than being merely builder grade (but good enough for me!), so I couldn't justify getting rid of them and paying a ton of money for new ones. So for under $40 (gotta loves sales and coupons!), I got SW Pro-Classic Paint and already had a good can of primer, so the cabinet repainting cost under $50 once I bought a few new rollers! Thanks for the kind compliments.

The other thing that makes me happy about the kitchen re-do is that we were able to save all of our old counter tops, sink and faucet and they will be going to a family about 5 hours from here in Appalachia who have plywood/cardboard for counters and a make shift sink. I will be blessed to go there again this summer to help out!

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

Congratulations. It worked out very nicely - so pretty and open now.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

It looks so great : ) I hope you won't get rid of your table and chairs! I think the heft of the dining table and chairs balance the island in size and proportion. It's really perfect!!! You have done a great job and it looks beautiful, great job.

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both!

The table/chairs will stay for now, b/c I cannot drop money on a new one at the moment. Some of what I don't like is that the table top is a natural color. I guess it could be re-stained?

• ds945
    12 years ago

Very nice redo. I had a similar table and chairs with the green finish. I ended up painting the chairs and I added two new chairs at the end. I did the chairs in a creamy white and the table legs in a brown. I will post a photo later.

annsch.... love the counter chair suggestions. Do you have the sources?

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

I love what you did in this remodel. What a transformation! The kitchen looks now like it belongs to a person who sounds like you.

I bet you smile when you go in your new kitchen to work. The colors are perfect, the floor is spectacular, the traffic pattern will be a pleasure, and you are going to have a great kid gathering place here for years. I can see it with half a dozen or more teens clustering about.

(I also like the addition in the dining area of the sconces alongside the picture and the chest underneath it. Adds a lot to the warmth.)

I think swivel stools require less scooting in and out, particularly by children. This might be easier for the kids and a lot kinder for the floor. Perhaps someone with experience can speak to this.

I think leather or leather-look stools are more kid friendly and durable (and a lot easier to clean up when someone spills a milkshake) than woven ones or fabric covered ones. Again, someone who has used both can speak to this.

Have you decided if you do or do not want backs on the stools? I tried to imagine both there and kinda prefer backless ones to keep the clean uninterrupted line. But kids might prefer backed stools. Again, someone with experience can speak to this also. I think with backed stools you really do want swivel seats.

As someone else suggested, there's a lot to say for bringing home two or three styles to try out.

Thank you for a posting that has been a real pleasure to read. This is what keeps me coming happily to GW.

Sandra

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Soooo much better! You go painter woman! I painted all the old cabs in our kitchen 13 years ago when we moved in because I hated the very, very dark finish but we couldn't afford a reno at that point. I congratulate you doing it *with* kids. That's a lot of work!

The new layout is miles ahead of the old with the dust mite sized island and the closed off eating area. It looks so open and fresh now.

I agree with the white appliances. They blend very nicely.

Great job!

• kathec
    12 years ago

You SHOULD toot your own horn. It looks amazing so far. Not everyone has 50K to spend, yours is an inspiration for all of us who have a more conservative budget.

Way to go!! Can't wait to see your final pictures!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

That looks great! What an amazing transformation. I remember when I painted my cabinets and I was so excited just by the primer and how much brighter it looked! It really looks good, very fresh and crisp.

Enjoy cooking with your family in there!

Bee

• tracie.erin
    12 years ago

Great job! It looks great, you must love the island. I really love your choices and agree with the others that it's a happy accident that you ended up not removing the wall. It looks very nice together. I put that same flooring in my LR/DR/kitchen (it looks much lighter in your space, weird) and cabs will be white, so I'll have a similar look. We won't be able to granite shop for a few years but when we do I'll have to look for the fiesta gold.

Again, kudos!

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

Not sure how how those seagrass stools hold up either...Anyone have experience with them?

Not sure if you plan on switching out light/fan over kitchen table. If yes, then maybe a couple of these...

If not, maybe a couple of these...

• taggie
    12 years ago

Wow, what a great reno! Your cabinets look amazing, and moving the sink to the large island is such a great update. It changes the whole look of the room and makes it look so spacious and bright. Love the flooring too. Great job!!!

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all, again!

@ds945:I'd love to see a picture of your table as it is now. Sounds pretty! Ours started off with the natural table top, but with pale yellow legs on table and chairs. I painted them black years ago and they've held up well.

@ Bellsmom: You have read my mind in so many ways. I hope that our house will always be full of our kids and their friends too! Re: bar stools--I like how backless would look as well, to not interrupt the flow, but my kids keep saying they want ones with backs, b/c they are more comfy. I can't decide. I may end up buying a few and bringing them home to try, as was suggested here. I like the idea of a leather seat (for comfort) and to keep clean. Any thoughts from anyone who is knowledgeable would be great. Thanks for your kind words. GW is such a great place to spend time, isn't it?!?

@Breezy: You made me laugh out loud...thanks for your nice compliments! I love to paint...it's calming to me and fun to see the outcome. One of the days I was painting the cabinets in the garage, my DD came out and wanted to help. She's 7 and talented, but I wasn't willing. So I let her take a bunch of the SW Samples that we've had and she went to town on a wall in the garage and had a blast. We were planning on painting the garage this spring anyhow, so her painting will serve as a primer coat! And we had a fun day together painting. :)

@kathec: Thank you. We stayed under 12K so far. Stools and lights will add a bit more, but not much.

@traci.erin:I really liked New Venetian Gold and that's what I was looking for, but the two fabricators near us were out of it, and they showed me fiesta gold, which was really close to the sample of NVG that I had with me, so we went with it. That's funny that your floors are the same, but seem darker. Ours are pretty dark...maybe it's the camera. We also have a lot of natural light in the kitchen. ???

Thanks Bee & taggie!

@annsch: I really like the first pendant light. Anyone talented with photoshop who could pop those in my pic if they have the time? Where is it from? I do want to change out the fan in the morning room...as time and money allow. Thanks for finding them! I may have to save the seagrass for when my kids are grown up and DH and I are old and will need chairs with backs then! lol

Thanks again all!

• Susied3
    12 years ago

mpmg46, your kitchen looks fantastic! I love the sink in the island.

You mentioned you used rollers to paint, do you mind telling what kind you used? Did the paint store recommend a certain kind? I will be painting soon, and wanted to use rollers, but wondered if they would leave a little stipple. Yours look very smooth, you did a great job!
    Congrats

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

Not sure about placement and scale, but it may help give you an idea. They should probably be further apart.

I think they look pretty darn good!

Sandra

• Bunny
    12 years ago

You did good, really good! My modest kitchen reno/facelift is nearly done, although I spent more than you did, yet still way less than a complete redo. I haven't posted pics yet. Having my cabinets painted was the single most expensive component of the work, so you really saved a bundle doing it yourself. I just didn't have the nerve or skill set to do it myself.

Your kitchen looks awesome, so bright and functional. Good job!

• Yvonne B
    12 years ago

Very, very nice!! That doesn't look modest at all.

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

One last rough photo shop. Here are some barstools. I chose some with backs, since that is your kids pref. Like you, I prefer the look of backless, but i'd rather sit in one with a back. I also think swivels are important and I think only one of these swivels.

Anyway, it was fun to do this.

Might give you some ideas. And forgive the fact that one stool only has three legs. My PhotoShop eraser went a little wild there.

Sandra

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

Bellsmom---way to go!!! Those pendants do look great!!

MPMG--They are called galeana pendants. If you google them you will find them at several different places. Good luck!!

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bellsmom: Thanks for photo-shopping the lights and stools! I really appreciate it. I think I will end up going for backless stools (it will force my kids and me to sit up straight, right? lol) b/c I like the look more. Any chance I could convince you to photoshop either of the stools that I posted earier (the backless ones)? Thanks again!

The lights are great! Thanks annsch for finding them and for their name. I will do a a search for them.

Thanks linelle. I was super worried about painting them, but my husband convinced to me to do it, so I figured if we hated them, I could blame him! lol Looking forward to seeing your renovation!

@susied3: You are going to laugh at this, but I purchased roller from SW (good ones). They left little pieces of blue nap from the roller all over the first coat of paint on the first cabinet I did. I was not happy! So I sanded it back down and as we live 1/2 hour from stores here, I looked in my painting box and had cheapo rollers from Wal-mart of all places, so I figured they couldn't do any more hard than the SW ones did. I ended up using them for the rest of the cabinets. I'm not a big supporter of W-mart, but I can't complain about their rollers I guess!

Thanks yandj as well!

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

mpmg
    Post the info on the bar stools you'd like to see in a mockup. I looked quickly and didn't find the ''look.'' It works best if they are on a white background.

Sandra

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

mpmg
    Here is an image using the stools you listed a site for above.

Scale may be off. I think they are smaller than I showed them here.
    Anyway, FYI
    Sandra

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

I think black based stools would work better, no?

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Wow - you have completely updated the floorplan of your space and the new paint colour looks great. Nice job. I'll bet the whole space flows better between the kitchen and eating area.

Just one little idea - your end upper cabinet - it doesn't look like there is any molding on it but perhaps I can't see it - can you add some molding such as what you have on your island - it would finish off that end of the cabinet run. And then add something onto the end wall beside it - maybe an artwork of iron scroll to tie in with your wall sconces or some small stacked botanical prints to tie in with the granite.

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Sandra! How about these ones?
    {{!gwi}}

or this?

or this?

Thank you so much for the time and effort you are putting into this for me! I had a trial version of photoshop for a while, but I wasn't very good at it, so I'm impressed by your skills!

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

I like the middle stool in your space. :)

• deedles
    12 years ago

Your facelift is really great! An amazing difference and you kitchen/dining room looks so welcoming now. The pendant idea could really add to the space. Nice job. The floor is beautiful, IMO.

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

Hi
    One last couple of stool images. Keep in mind that the original shots are taken from different perspectives.

Since the middle stool echoes the lines and wood tones of your dining room chairs, I did a quick image of three of them in place.

I am pleased if these were useful to you. I was kept inside for a couple of days and enjoyed the project. But today promises to be, finally, a garden day at last.

I really like your kitchen. Hope you post a pic of it full of kidlets.

Sandra

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

I like the last pic that Bellsmom/Sandra did (with the 3 black stools).

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

I can't picture those white seats of the last photo-shopped stools staying clean long if it's truly going to be a kid-gathering zone, and I personally prefer the cleaner legs of the other backless-stools.

My favorite stool so far was the X-back posted by Bellsmom, but in black rather than white. The back was low enough not to be visually detracting, IMO.

mpmg46, I love your kitchen; bravo! It looks so much more fun to cook in, and it illustrates how a few changes can make a huge difference.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Wow, it looks totally different! Taking out the peninsula area makes such a huge difference, and I agree, not worth it to take out the rest of the wall.

The floors are amazing! Congrats on such a great job!

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much Sandra! I'm sorry I haven't replied until now. My work schedule this past week and just life in general was hectic...

I really like the last one of the 3 black stools. They work well with the table in the morning room. I wonder if they would stay clean though, with kids (and adults--b/c we make messes too!). I looked a little bit today in real life, but couldn't find anything that stood out.

Thank you to the others as well, for your kind compliments!

I did find drawer pulls today for the island and to replace on the other cabinets! And they were 1/2 off b/c The Great Indoors is closing near us!

I haven't made a decision on pendants yet either. I still need to look at backsplash too...but now I'm realizing that the tumbled marble I was envisioning probably won't work with the granite...it will be too hard to match. We'll see...

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

Just saw this.
    Hey, life overwhelms all of us. As my brother says, "Been that, done there."
    But four suggestions for now . . .
    FWIW
    1. I would not buy anything without bringing home comparable samples. Do NOT depend on the look of my photo-shopped images.
    2. Please consider bringing home a backed stool. So you can look at it as well as try it.
    3. Are your dining room chairs black? Or really dark brown? If I went with that style, I would match the wood to the DR chairs (if you plan to keep them).
    4. And, yes, I would prefer leather or leather-look seats since you have a dozen years or so of kids using them ahead of you!

Sandra

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022