Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jett254_gw

Top Drawers on Shaker style cabinetry

jett254
10 years ago

I've read all of the threads regarding whether to do 5-piece or slab drawers on the shallower top drawers when doing a Shaker style cabinetry but I'm still conflicted.

We are doing custom, inset white cabinetry. We are going with flush inset rather than beaded inset so I prefer 5-piece drawers. The cabinet maker said the standard if we go with 5-piece drawers is to keep the vertical part (the stile?) of the panel the same width as the wider drawer below it but to shrink the horizontal part (the rail?) so that there is room for hardware. I'm trying to decide if I like this look - so the drawer isn't quite proportional but when comparing it to the door or drawer below it, the width of the vertical piece matches.

The other option would be to reduce the size of both the stile and rail (or whatever the vertical and horizontal pieces are called) on the shallower drawer proportionally which would look nice but then not line up with the drawer/door below it in terms of width of the vertical piece.

Thoughts???

Comments (16)

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

I had to look at my cabinets and drawers..I was thinking I had slab. I guess I sorta do. My "sides" on the drawers have a router line on them, so that the drawer's line up, but not horizontal pieces or routering on them.

• californiagirl
    10 years ago

Reduce both sides.

Have cabs with both versions, strongly prefer the smaller drawers with proportional sides. Cabinetmaker didn't think I knew what I was doing but admitted at an install that it was a good look. I think he had just never done it my way, but I'm pretty sure that's how Christopher Peacock does his small drawers.

• artemis78
    10 years ago

We have drawers with the reduced rail (but same size stile) and I really like it. I would never have thought of it but our cabinetmaker suggested it. For our drawers it's actually our middle two drawers in a four-drawer bank (we opted to do all of our top drawers slab). It is the only four-drawer bank so the others are three-drawer and have standard rails and stiles; I think the modified rails actually help those drawers look more like the other drawers rather than less, surprisingly (because to your eye, the center panel stays about the same size, so you notice that in relation to the hardware). I also wanted the stiles in a given bank of drawers to line up vertically for aesthetics--just something that would have bugged me.

The other consideration is where you plan to mount your hardware. Our pulls are mounted on the center panel (rather than on the rail as some choose to do) and I remember our cabinetmaker saying he recommended the standard rail height if we wanted to mount hardware on the rails instead.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I didn't know what we did until I looked at a pic.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Are you absolutely committed to keeping 5-piece on the top drawers? Personally, I love the look of slab drawers on the less high top drawers with 5-piece below.

• sas95
    10 years ago

We have slab on all of our short drawers. It's a personal preference, but I don't like the look of the 5-piece on the shorter drawers.

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

I agree with linelle and sas95. That's what we did with our inset cabinets--slab on top, five piece on the bottom two drawers.

• dcward89
    10 years ago

We also chose slab on top for our Shaker style full-overlay cabinets. When looking at both options on-line, the 5 piece on the smaller drawer on top always looked sort of busy to me...the other 2 or 3 drawers in the stacks will be 5-piece.

• xc60
    10 years ago

We also did slab on the top drawers, to have the five panel cost just over a hundred dollars a drawer so having the slabs on the top saved over $1100 in our kitchen.

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

Slab or 5 piece is completely personal preference. Do what YOU want. I personally hate slab. To me, it always looks like they forgot to do the top drawers in the right design.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Originally, we were planning on Shaker style cabinets and planned on doing all 5-piece drawers, reducing down the size of the horizontal piece but keeping the vertical the same as with the other drawers. Ultimately, we veered far away from that look, opting instead for slab cabinetry through the whole kitchen.

• jett254
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input so far. I had looked at pictures and I strongly prefer slab drawers when paired with a beaded inset, but we ruled out beaded inset because of the additional cost.

My cabinet maker doesn't charge more for 5 piece drawers vs. slab drawers so our choices are the just reduce the top/bottom part of the 5-piece drawer so the side rails line up with the drawer or door below it in terms of width, or to reduce all 4 sides. It seems like the former option is more common, but I think I prefer the proportional option. Has anyone else done that? Any pictures?

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I used to hate slab drawers. Now I love them. Who knew? In reality, I love ALL slab drawers paired with shaker doors, esp. all painted white. It's got an honest, straightforward, utilitarian look, which may not be the look you're going for.

• olivertwistkitchen
    10 years ago

I had thought about shrinking the dimensions for the top drawer, but in the end the top drawer was never so skinny that I needed to do that. The dimensions of our rails are the same on all of the drawers, regardless of their height. I'm very happy with it.

• TB151
    10 years ago

Not the same style as you're doing but I hope it helps. Our guy kept the vertical lines the same, and adjusted the thickness of the tops and bottoms depending on drawer size