Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steph0509

Linen colored cabinets and white trim??

steph0509
11 years ago

I'm in the process of picking out our kitchen cabinets for our new build. We really like the "linen" colored cabinets, which is whiter than the cream, but darker than white. The lady I'm working with at Marsh Kitchens says that our crown molding and baseboard trim in that room would need to be linen too. She says that if you put white trim next to the linen that it will look yellowed.

What are your opinions?
Should I do the linen colored trim in the kitchen? And would I continue with white trim once it turns the corner into the other room? I'm thinking it would be hard to stop and continue with the white trim because I think that would be noticeable. Any insight is appreciated!

Comments (2)

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Caveat: I am no designer nor paint expert.

That said, I have noted many kitchens on Houzz having past multiple viewers approval that are two differing whites: one for cabinets another for trim, windows etc.. To avoid yellow trim, use semigloss acrylic not oil, the latter being UV sensitive. Good layering paints are BM Satin Impervo and Muralo semi-gloss but they dry fast, so you might need to ask to add an extender when mixing (slows dry time).

Some on GW find BM White Dove to have yellow/grey undertones, so you might check on that in your kitchen lighting.

You might consider painting the ceiling a semi-gloss white with a hint of blue added which seems to add height to the room. Examples are Baby's breath OC-62 or White ice Oc-58 BM. Drawing one's eye up embraces all layers of colors, whites and off whites. Good luck on your new project. Btw, I love the color linen.

• steph0509
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I worded that wrong, meant to say the white trim next to the linen cabinets would make the cabinets look yellowed. I don't think it would really make the trim look yellowed. I was just searching around Houzz and found tons of kitchens where the cabinets were light or cream and the crown was white. It was noticeable, but not bad at all. I also think that the wall color may make a difference in how the difference between the linen and white is perceived.