Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkla_gw

Tiling Backsplash around Pass Through

lkla
9 years ago

Help expert tilers!

How do we design layout of backsplash around this pass through??

Do we go to edge of window, down and over, and up the other side? Or just down and over but not up?

Should tile go to edge of wall or line up with counter?

(Tiles are 2x8 subway, bone colored--so not a color that contrasts with the white wall....)

Lately I'm thinking we go to edge of cabinet and then down and across but only as high as 4 inches under the window. Still not sure if we should end at cabinet or wall though...

Thank you!!

This post was edited by lkla on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 9:59

Comments (7)

• eam44
    9 years ago

So... You have options, but the most unobtrusive will require that you buy a few bullnose tiles in addition to your field tiles. Your pattern should be uninterrupted, and it will be determined by the rest of the splash layout. When you determine the sizes you'll need your cut tiles to be you'll want to cut them so the bullnose edge "lines" the opening whether it's short or long side.

The good news is you haven't started yet! When I said the pattern will be determined by the rest of the splash layout, remember you have scooch room. You can change your spacer sizes or your tile layout to avoid (at all costs) the notched tile (if possible). You want to make a single cut into a tile if possible. If you already have the tiles, play with a dry layout using tape.

Good luck!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Why avoid notched tiles "at all costs"? I would rather have a notched tile than one with wider grout joints than I wanted.

Edited: Oh, never mind ... I see what you're getting at!

This post was edited by jellytoast on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 19:32

• lkla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, thanks we are ordering the bullnose tiles. It's just the layout around the pass through I can't figure out.

The rest of the splash layout is simple-- full backsplash of. subway tile from counter to cabinet.

So you think have it on both sides of pass through and ending at end of wall (not aligning with counter)?

• Kitchen_ Reno
    9 years ago

hmmm, I think in this case I'd just stop tile at the upper cabinet line, avoiding the pass thru area entirely. but it would be helpful to see it to make sure that looks ok. Can you photoshop a couple options? (I don't know how to...but I know many people can! or maybe someone reading will try it)

• lkla
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for comments. I'm thinking now it might look best tile to the edge of the cabinets and avoid the pass through entirely.

Need to sleep on it!

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I vote for going around passthru, I think it would look odd to end at cabinet edge with so much counter to the left. Just my opinion.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Ok, I think it's just a vocabulary issue, but your layout is going to be a running bond pattern, correct? You have other options, but that's the classic choice. Regardless, I would tile to the end of the lower cabs OR the end of the counter depending on which makes your pass-thru tiling easier.

Another option, you have a border of about an inch maybe between that upper and the pass-thru. Maintain that inch of drywall below the cab and above the pass-thru, to the end of the lower cab.

You're going to have to dry stack some tiles, tape them up, and see what look you prefer.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz