Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash ideas--need GW advice!!

Posted by Anne2326 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 18:54

Hi all. I'm redoing a kitchen in a second home. The current kitchen has been removed, but we haven't installed cabinets yet so I don't have pictures yet. This is intended to be a relatively budget friendly kitchen (oxymoron), because ultimately we will do a more extensive renovation down the road which likely will impact the kitchen. However, in case that dream renovation gets postponed (or never happens) I want to have a space I can be happy with for a long time!

The house is contemporary, so the kitchen needs to fairly contemporary too. I'm using IKEA cabinets in a beech finish, along with stainless steel drawers in the island. The countertop will be caesarstone Dreamy Marfil (it's a creamy background with hints of gray and warm tones (my thought is it works with both the wood and the stainless). The floor is a dark stained wood.

For the backsplash, I keep envisioning glass tiles rather than stone or ceramic. I'd love any ideas!

The attached pics in photobucket (hope they work) show a rendering of the cabinet wall where the backsplash will be as well as pictures of the wood for the cabs, the countertop, and a few sample glass tiles. Also included is a picture that I found online that looks like my set up.

The island isn't shown in the rendering--but it's directly in front of the cabinet wall.

I see so many good ideas from people on this site--please weigh in--thank you!!!!

http://s1322.photobucket.com/user/amharris2326/library/Napa Kitchen% 20ideas?page=1

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

This post was edited by Anne2326 on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 19:07

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash ideas--need GW advice!!

To insert a Photobucket picture, get the HTML link they provide and paste it directly into your posts.

o

Can you give me an idea of your budget in $/sf?

This post was edited by EAM44 on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 3:29

o

Good question about budget! I'd like to keep it under $40 a square foot. Seems like there are a lot of choices at the $20-$25 level, but I'm willing to go higher if, for example, Ann Sacks has some gorgeous tile that if I saw I couldn't live without!

Thanks!

o

Any of those glass colors would work with the kitchen you're describing. Have you tried them in place to see what they look like with the site lighting? If you don't have a sample door, you might have to wait for them to be installed to see what they look like in place. You may also take into account what colors are used in rooms you see from the kitchen. Don't feel you need to rush to make a BS choice. It's OK to wait until everything else is installed to make a decision.

o

suzannesl --thanks and good advice, especially since this isn't our primary residence. Heading out in about a week and a half to help with cabinet installation. I'll be toting my bag of sample tiles. Once I have some real pics of the space I'll post again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here