Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katienic_gw

Wow - what a difference a camera angle makes- same slab?

katienic
15 years ago

I asked the fabricator if she could have the yard take a photo from the opposite end. I can hardly believe it is the same Bianco Romano Slab.

Here is the original photo - I was questioning whether it was an interesting slab. I thought it a tad ho-hum based on the photo.

Here are 2 shots from the opposite end.

Where did that center black splotch go? And now it seems to have lots of stuff happening.

So I'm thinking in templating do you need to pay attention to not only the layout, but which direction the natural light angle is going to hit?

Comments (9)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

The angle of the natural light isn't the issue with the differences in these photos...So I'm not sure it would be the issue in your kitchen either. And remember that natural light is only an issue in your kitchen during part of the day, and changes all the time. I think it may just be the angle of the camera, the length of the focus, and the limitations of trying to capture the beauty of stone and its details in a poorly lit stone warehouse. To throw another thing at you to consider, the stone will look different and take light differently when horizontal than it does standing. Seeing it in person and thinking about where you want what parts of the stone is what will tell the story. I'm betting that the photos are showing just a bit of what this stone has to offer. I've tried to take photos of stone slabs and it just doesn't ever do it justice.

• User
    15 years ago

wow, you ain't kidding!

• peytonroad
    15 years ago

I disagree that that is the same slab, I may be wrong but where is the spot? Looks tooo different

• User
    15 years ago

those angle pics were bothering me so much I came back to take a second look, and I have to agree with peyton. They may be from the same lot but I don't believe that's the same stone. You may want to go to the shop and have the pull the slab for you to view again, and if you do take your camera with you.

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

if memory serves me correctly, you were taking a journey to see the slab today, and another journey to see another tomorrow? Just wondering how it all turned out.

As Rhome said, pictures just won't do it justice. As lukki and peyton point out, it also may not be the same slab...

• katienic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rhome: your absolutely right, the light is going to be changing in my kitchen throughout the day and the weather factor is going to have a bearing too. I have a hard time viewing slabs and trying to imagine what they will look like laying flat. After viewing the photos all I could think of was the nap on fabric such as velvet where the light hitting it changes the colour. Flat polished surface vs textured cloth doesn't equal does it? LOL.

I have 2 of the slabs on hold and I can't wait to go see it in person. Now if the weather would only co-operate so I can take that road trip!

Peytonroad: I too couldn't help but wonder. I've gone back and forth and have even enlarged the photos trying to match up patterns, and some areas do sort of match up. The first photo was definitely a zoomed image and not all the slab is visible.
    For fun I've added a new photo.

• katienic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, chloe_s_mom I was going to head in to Toronto today to view this slab, but with the news reporting how the rain & snow was playing havoc with numerous accidents and cars sliding into the ditches I totally chickened out. I hate driving into the city on good weather days!

lukkiirish, thanks for the reminder to take my camera. I am so hoping as rhome says that the photos show only a little of what this stone has to offer and that in real life it is amazing. :)

• katienic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finally made the trip to view the slab in person. rhome you were right the photos do not do justice to the beauty of the stone. I signed off on the slabs so they will be on their way to Kingston for fabrication.

Interesting, when you look at the slab full on and in real life there are no 'bad' spots. The spots that showed up in the original photos as the a big black splotch is just a lovely dark gray/purple vein.

There is lots of movement and variation without it being heavy. I absolutely love it. It goes great with the rustic walnut stained porcelain tile and the dark stained wood.

Just a couple of pics...of course neither one shows its beauty. I'm sure though that Bianco Romano lovers will totally understand my facination!

Full Slab Face On: They were kind enough to pull the slab out so I could get a full photo of it.

And just one more to show you a closer up view of a the white splotch area.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Katie,

Looks like you have picked a great stone- your pics look so much better than the ones the yard sent. (I find it almost impossible to catch all the nuances of granite in a photo).

Interesting to hear that you are in Kingston- my son goes to RMC, and I always get homesick for my kids at holiday time! :>(

Hope the weather for the Easter weekend turns out better! (For you both! :>)